West Serving AZ, CA, HI, NV

Video Sears Point

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video Sears Point

Courtesy of our buddy Boones, we now have a full eight lap video, from a camera mount fabricated by Clint (THX723) and using a Canon GL2. It slipped a little bit left during the session and put the field a bit off center, but it still is reasonable quality. There is text overlay to describe some of what is going on, including some of my mistakes, and since we pass a couple of corvettes, and even lap one of them on the 2.5 mile circuit in just 8 laps, I thought you might get a tickle out of it. The link is now inserted in the body of the article describing the adventure.

For those who are interested, Clint and I will be going to the big track at Willow Springs on June 4th, and courtesy of Clint's generosity, we will swap the mount and each get some footage of that experience, one from his NA sedan and one from my FI coupe. Enjoy!

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=37

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 05-18-2004, 04:47 PM
G Kreuzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Video Sears Point

Great video Ed. There nothing like being inside of that SC'd Coupe of yours. It's simply intimidating hearing all the noises generated by the Super Charger ... it's wonderful.

Knowing you have a heavier camera, I should of tipped you in on how to tighten the camera to the ball joint.

Can't wait for the next event at Willow Springs.

Clint (THX723)

Old 05-18-2004, 09:33 PM

<font color=blue>COOOOOOOOOL</font color=blue>...........Thank You Ed for allowing the reader to be strapped in for the E-ticket ride both in words and in visual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-19-2004, 02:50 AM

OHHH MAN NOW I REALLY CANT WAIT. all you guys will have really fast g's i will be the only one thats pretty stock except for my suspension that is.

Hey Eagle1, do you mind if i come with you for an hour in your car when we are at Willow Springs? I really wanna see how it is in your car.

2004 Diamond Graphite G35 Coupe 6MT, Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

2003 Brilliant Silver G35 Sedan Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

Old 05-19-2004, 09:55 AM

Rashman:
We will need the permission of the sponsor for a passenger, but I think they will give it to us. Probably best to do it later in the day after we are feeling more comfortable about the track set up.
We should get at least four and probably five full sessions on the track, plus for the diehards they often have a closing out final "free for all" in which all group drivers that are still around and want to go can hit the track until the close out time. Each session is about 20-25 minutes long. Willow is pretty fast, so eight laps is probably typical and 10 is certainly quite possible for each session.
What is often done with a passenger is that you go out, do about two to four laps, then "hot pit" and drop off the passenger so he or she can clamber into their own car and get in half a session too.
The very first session is usually with an instructor for the newbies, so by the time you go out and do about two or three laps, then come in, swap out the instructor from your car to the chase student, who then takes the lead and you follow, and get in two or three more laps. You might get another lap or two solo for that session, then you come in.
The second session you can have the instructor, or not, depending on how he feels about how you were doing, and how you feel. I usually go solo. Then around the third session you can reflect on how you were doing, and getting familiar with the track, and if you think you would like or need some more pointers, the instructor, possibly a different one, will come with you at your request for a few laps and help out some more.
Thus, most of the ride alongs will typically be in the fourth or fifth sessions. At least that is how SpeedVentures tends to do it.
In any event we will work it out, and it is pretty common to **** a ride with somebody with a cool car if they are advanced enough as drivers. Beginners usually are restricted from taking guests, but guests can go with an instructor behind the wheel.
For example, my first time was at Laguna Seca and I wanted my girlfriend to get a ride in my car, so I gave the keys to an instructor and said "go". She got three laps. Then hot pitted and I took over and got four more.
She said afterwards that 1)she was really glad to do it and see what it was like and 2)she never ever ever wanted to do it again. (thus, why I have an extra $400 helmet only used one time!)

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 05-19-2004, 02:33 PM

awsome video!

Old 05-19-2004, 06:07 PM

Man Eagle1 thanks. Ok well for sure bring that extra helmet. I know i will be needed an extra one.

Talk to you soon

2004 Diamond Graphite G35 Coupe 6MT, Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

2003 Brilliant Silver G35 Sedan Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

Trending Topics

Old 05-19-2004, 07:12 PM
G Kreuzer

RashMan1450,
As usual, I will be giving rides durring most of the day. You're more than welcomed to one, although it's not quite the ride Eagle1 has ... *sniff* ... not even close.

Clint (THX723)

Old 05-19-2004, 07:46 PM
G Kreuzer

Oh and here's yet another video clip to wet yall appettite:

I never got a chance to release it, but since Ed (Eagle1) sort of reminded me of this just the other night and in anticipation to our upcoming track day at Willow Springs .... I figure, why not! Check it out:

G35 vs. S2000 @ Laguna Seca
... never got around to adding cute commentaries like the last one. To quickly sum it up, I picked two of the closest laps between myself and my cousin's, so these are not necessary our quickest. Note, the S2000 sound is pan to the Left audio channel and the G35 to the Right channel.

Enjoy!

*** end of thread hi-jacking *** =P

Clint (THX723)