West Serving AZ, CA, HI, NV

Bad transaction with Toy Box Auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bad transaction with Toy Box Auto

Some of you may know that my G was in the shop getting a new tranny put in (Infiniti dealer). After the transmission was put in along with a clutch (pressure plate and disc) the car would not go into any gears. The pressure plate and disc were purchased from Toy Box Auto. I was told by Rich at Toy Box Auto that the pressure plate and disc were brand new (spoke over the phone), when I arrived to pick the parts up the pressure plate looked slightly used, I asked Rich about it and he told me that it has 2500 miles on it and that the disc is brand new, I was originally told on the phone it was new?

My Wife recently contacted Rich to see about a refund and Rich refuses to do so. When I first arrived at Rich's shop I tried to pay Rich with a visa card he asked to pay with cash instead. I purchased the clutch from Rich with cash and denied a receipt. I just can't believe that they won't give me a refund for a part that doesn't even cost that much.

I'm very dissapointed that a highly recommended shop won't do the right thing. I personally have sold a ton of parts on other forums and always make right with my deals.

I'm not here to bash Toy Box, I just want everyone know my experience with this shop. I will never take my car to these guys after this experience. I was really hoping they would do good buisness with me and not burn me like this.

Last edited by Sir Boostalot; 10-15-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I've just sent Rich an e-mail. I'm really hoping he can do the right thing so we can just sweep this under the rug.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that SirBoostalot. Hopefully it works out. Can't say I would've bought anything cash and without a receipt that looks used unless I am fully aware of no turning back. ...but thats me.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by L33TZOR
Sorry to hear that SirBoostalot. Hopefully it works out. Can't say I would've bought anything cash and without a receipt that looks used unless I am fully aware of no turning back. ...but thats me.
I guess I made a bad move on my part. I guess I'm to trusting sometimes.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how come i never saw this thread before.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Another fine establishment....?

Upon finding out they lied to you at Toy Box about the new/used parts I
would have walked out, sounded like a red flag to me! Did they discount
the used part that was supposed to be new, not likely? Sorry to hear you
were taken advantage of, no more "Mr. Niceguy!"
Gary

Old 10-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Upon finding out they lied to you at Toy Box about the new/used parts I
would have walked out, sounded like a red flag to me! Did they discount
the used part that was supposed to be new, not likely? Sorry to hear you
were taken advantage of, no more "Mr. Niceguy!"
Gary
I trusted them since they were recommended to me by another member on here. I guess next time I won't be so trusting when dealing with an outside source.

I was still given the same price for the parts even though the pressure plate was slightly used. I was actually in a hurry to have the parts delivered to the shop working on my car that's why I went through with the purchase, dumb me.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any luck w/ getting your money back?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by ninous26
Any luck w/ getting your money back?
Nothing yet. I haven't heard back from them since last Tuesday.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I want to add that after I paid, I was refused a receipt. There wasn't anything I could do, I'd already given them my money.

I just heard from Carlos, the owner of Toybox auto. He basically told me "Tough Sh*t". I am disappointed that the Owner of the company is willing to screw me over as well. Looks like it shows the character and morals of Toybox Auto.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Ok, I will post the other side of this story.

When we originally spoke on the phone I told you that we had a clutch and pressure plate in the shop that belonged to a customer. I told you that the customer, also a member here and on My350Z was looking to sell it and I would get with him and figure out a price.

When you and your wife came in and picked it up I told you that since the parts were not ours, and the company was not selling you the parts and I was simply trying to help out, we wouldnt be able to give you a reciept.

All I tried to do here was help a local customer/friend and you at the same time. You told me that the dealer was trying to overcharge you for the clutch.

This became an issue I believe when your wife and I started emailing back and forth about getting some work done on your transmission under your aftermarket warranty. I felt like it was bordering on fraud and declined to do any work.

Here is what your wife emailed me:

Hi Rich,

We are going to come in this afternoon to drop off our car. It is more convenient for us to do it this afternoon than tomorrow. Here are a couple things:

1. My husband wants to go with the used tranny. It can be bought from Matt at 480-XXX-XXXX. He mentioned to us that he would be willing to drop it off at your location. Since this is warranty work, can you pay him and get reimbursed from the warranty company. (of course you would have full payment before releasing out car). We don’t have any money to front for the parts/

2. In order to get the ball rolling on getting you paid you will need to call our warranty company at 800-XXX-XXXX. Our policy # XXXXXXXXXX. I am unable to do this for you. You will need to let them know you have our car and they will fax you an approval form to perform the work. I suggest that you call in first thing this morning to get the form. Then fax it back this afternoon, basically stating all work has been done at full price and for them to pay you. You will need to make up a “mock” invoice so they pay the full amount. They would then pay you by CC tomorrow. That way we wouldn’t have to worry about the payment issues.

3. We have a rental car until Friday around noon. Can we have the car done by then?? Or at least the Tranny. I know my husband discussed with you the “rolling around” of the money. Here is a breakdown:

Approved: $1500 used tranny and 5 hours labor at $75 an hour. The warranty company pays any applicable tax

The tranny costs $700 and you charge 3 hours labor at $80 for the job. This leaves a balance of $940 that we want to get other things. (thank you for agreeing to this!!) We want to roll our deductable into to money so we don’t have to pay out of pocket, so we will really have $840 to work with.

My husband knows he wants all the windows tinted and some sort of muffler. We were also wondering if it is possible to get some of it in cash. Money is tight and we have to pay for a rental car. If that’s not an option no big deal, either way, you guys will get paid for the work you do.

On another note, I know that we paid you for the new disc and pressure plate. Apparently the pressure plate is defective. When the dealership removed the newer parts and put in all our original parts, the car didn’t have a problem. We did pay you $200 for the pressure plate. Is there something that can be done about this? Are you able to inspect it and see if that was the problem? I am worried that if you put that pressure plate in, the car may have the same problem and I don’t want that. If necessary, do you think a new one would be needed? Who would have to cover the cost of the new one?

------

Bottom line...you seemed like a cool guy John, and I am sorry that this whole mess happened.

I truly did not try to get over on you or sell you parts that I knew had any issues. All 3 of us stood here and looked at the disc which was new and the pressure plate which looked to be in perfect condition.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Rich, Please keep in mind that what is written in my wife's e-mail is exactly what you agreed to over the phone. If we hadn't put it in writing you would have done the work. We didn't know we weren't able to "play" with the money. You were scared away when we put it in writing because you KNEW you were doing something wrong. That shows that YOU were the one doing something fraudulent.

You are also bringing up a totally different issue. The main issue is that you sold us defective parts and are refusing to make it right!

Last edited by Sir Boostalot; 10-20-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
damn son =/

Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I also would like to add that cutting and pasting personal e-mails just isn't cool. I have e-mails from you regarding this issue that I could cut and paste, but wouldn't do because I understand the idea of privacy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad transaction with Toy Box Auto