Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

HELP! Eibach Spring EMERGENCY...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP! Eibach Spring EMERGENCY...

Ok, after a LONG time of trying to interpret instructions and the service manual, I managed to remove the entire front spring/strut assembly. However, I cannot FOR THE LIFE of me figure out how to remove the spring from the strut!!

There's a bolt on the top of the assembly but I cannot get it to turn without turning the entire strut. If I do turn the entire strut it doesn't appear to unscrew.

Any ideas? I have my car jacked up and unless I can figure this out I won't be able to go to work tomorrow!

--Steve (clueless newbie)

Old 09-23-2003, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HELP! Eibach Spring EMERGENCY...

you need a spring compressor to compress the spring and then hold the shaft with some sorta vice or pliers, you might wedge a towel or something in between so you dont scratch up the shaft and then while holding that you can turn the nut off, oooorrr you can hold the very top of the shaft and use a wrench to wrench it off, thats what i do anyways...

NOTE: Get a (strut)spring compressor if you dont already have one, very dangerous/deadly without one. Spring could fly out and hit someone or something.

John H.
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT-Ivory Pearl-Premium Pkg-Performance Pkg.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just installed my Teins today had no problems except for a uncooperative bolt on the rear shock. First of all do you have a spring compressor? Your going to need one unless you want to get kicked on the chin by a horse, because that's how it's going to feel if you don't compress those springs. Once you compress the spring it should be easy to release the bolt on the top of the strut. If it doesn't cooperate use a vice grip on the very top of the strut where the bolt is located. Then with a 17 mm wrench you should be able to turn it with no problem. One more thing do you have a pry bar? Your going to need one if your doing the rear.

<font color=blue> </font color=blue>

Old 09-23-2003, 03:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a spring compressor. I had to use a wrench on top of the bolt and finally got the nut off. Unfortunately, I need to go to bed now so only 3 of the 4 springs were installed tonight

Rear springs were a piece of cake. Took about 15 minutes each. What should I have needed the pry bar for?

Regardless, this is not a project for a clueless newbie like myself--but I learned a lot in the process so I'm glad I did it.

--Steve