Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Keeping Wheels Clean - Results-plain,wax and RejeX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping Wheels Clean - Results-plain,wax and RejeX

I did a test to figure out how to keep the wheels free or brake dust or atleast make them easy to clean. I did the following to tests :
1) one front wheel plain, one front wheel with Wax
2) both front wheels with RejeX
I tested one week after the application. There was rain both times so the black brake dust had time to sludge up and stick to the wheels. I also reviewed the wheel in the middle.

The wax was by far the worst as it seemed to make the brake dust stick a little more to the wheel. More than the actual adhesion, the black dust looked uglier. It was not particularly easier to clean.

The plain wheel looked a little better but was maybe just a little harder to clean than the dust.

The waxed wheel looked worst in the middle of the week.

RejeX was by far the best product. The wheel gathered much less dust. Even after rain, very little stuck to the wheel. Cleaning it was significantly better.

CONCLUSION
Wax did not help at all and looked worse in the middle.
RejeX was the best with little adhesion and easy to clean.

RejeX IN PLACE OF WAX
Based on the reviews, I stripped my car of Zymol (using Dawn ) and applied RejeX all over the paint and glass. I let the RejeX cure for 12 hours per instructions.

The paint looked significantly more lustrous than the wax. I have not used Zaino etc. so I cannot compare with the high end waxes - I used the cheap Zymol before. All the same, the difference was very startling especially on my white car which is hard to get upto a lustrous finish.

Anyhow, I am quite pleased with the RejeX. Will report to how the durability holds.

Notes
1) http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html
2) I bought a 16 oz bottle direct from the manufacturer. I have a little less than half still left. It was about $25 with shipping so is not that cheap.
3) Needless to say, I have no affiliation with RejeX

NOTE:

Old 10-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Re: Keeping Wheels Clean - Results-plain,wax and RejeX

I've also heard good things about using Nu Finish on the wheels. I'm going to try it tonight on one of the front wheels. Anyone else tried it?

Old 10-13-2003, 06:28 PM

i have the best cure...
ceramic brake pads!

Old 10-16-2003, 08:33 PM

I applied Rejex to my wheels and all front facing painted surfaces and grill (to repel bug guts) on my silver G35 coupe. I also stripped the wax off using Dawn before applying. I followed the directions exactly, including the 12 hour curing step. The Rejex makers don't specifically recommend it for wheels, but rather for exhaust stains, bug guts, and tar. Car&Driver magazine, however, tested it on an Audi A4 including the wheels. I summarized their results in my earlier posting here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...view=&sb=&vc=1

I did notice that not quite as much brake dust was accumulating on my wheels. (In fact, I started seeing a reddish brown color on them. I think it was from the rust particles on the rotors. Before the Rejex, I think the black brake dust overpowered the rust making it invisible.) I wasn't, however, impressed with the ease of removal of the brake dust. According to C&D, they could simply spray it off with a hose. I still had to wipe every wheel surface I wanted clean to remove the dust (not significantly different than before).

I did, however, see a big improvement in the ease to remove bug guts. The guts still accumulated, but they didn't seem to stick near as bad. One day when it rained and my car was outside, the rain alone completely flushed the bugs away from my front bumper and fronts of my rearview mirrors. This stuff really works for bug guts!

I haven't really notice that the treated areas look any different than the rest of my car which I wax with NuFinish, but with silver paint it makes it hard to tell if there is any improvement.

G35 Coupe 6MT / Brilliant Silver / Graphite / Prem.Pkg. / BSM

Doug.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:39 PM

Hey rajanb,

You applied the stuff to your windows too? I was afraid to try it on windows because they didn't mention that you could use it on glass. But, then again, they didn't mention it for use on wheels either. How has it worked on the glass? Did you use it on the plastic headlights too? I use RaineX on my windows and am quite happy with it.

Doug.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:21 PM

I did apply on windows and headlights. Working great so far.

On wheels, there definitely was less black dust.. so maybe it felt easier to clean 'cos there was less dust to clean.

The day I cleaned it and applied it, the car seemed to absolutely gleam - and mine's white so probably worse than silver even. Hard to tell if that was because of using Dawn (or Joy actually) or RejeX. But now I have it all over the car and am happy with it so far.

I agree with the ease of removal of bugs. There are less bugs 'cos of the weather but all the same.

Old 10-24-2003, 06:10 PM

Actually, I removed some bugs the other day when I washed my car, and I had to scrub quite a bit; but it was still easier than without the RejeX. It was amazing how that rain had removed the bugs so well the previous time. It was an all day rain, so the rain probably softened them up so they simply rinsed away. Also, maybe the bugs weren't stuck as tight that time.

I also put it on my splash guards and inner edges of my fenders to help remove any tar or road debris that I might kick up with the tires.

Doug.