Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Opinions? Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One look at the tread pattern tells you [no sipes] plus read:

"Dunlop's SP Sport 01 and SP Sport 01A tires are Ultra High Performance Summer tires for sports cars, coupes and sedans. Dunlop's SP Sport 01 tires were designed to be multi-talented tires and were initially developed for Original Equipment use by leading automotive manufacturers to complement the latest in vehicle design and construction. SP Sport 01 and SP Sport 01A tires are are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, nor through snow or on ice.

On the outside, the Dunlop SP Sport 01 features a 100% Silica tread compound that increases dry and wet grip while reducing rolling resistance and increasing treadwear. The tread compound is molded into an asymmetric Tri-Area-Tread design that is divided into three tread segments to unite the aspects of smooth running, sportiness and safety. On the inside, the SP Sport 01 features twin steel belts reinforced by Dunlop's Jointless Band (JLB) spiral wrapped nylon to provide high speed durability while minimizing weight. The tires feature a rayon cord reinforced casing to enhance ride quality and an aramid reinforced bead to ensure tight and secure fit of the tire on the rim.

Dunlop SP Sport 01 tires feature an attractive graphic sidewall design of smooth black letters reversed out of a serrated band and include a rim protector rib on all sizes to help protect wheels."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=SP+Sport+01

Never trust everything you read without contrast and comparison

Old 11-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Forget the stones................!

Buying tires takes some research and knowledge. I've used Michelins for years without any problems.
No issues with wear or noise and they lasted on the
average 30K. The tires I've had issues with are
Goodyears (sidewall cracking) Bridgestones (only lasted 10K) Dunlaps (sidewalls turned brown) and
Toyo when I purchased a tire/wheel combo. The very
first time I got on the freeway and hit a wet spot my
car was sideways. I wouldn't put Toyo tires on my
lawnmower! Michelins are worth every penny they
cost!

Old 11-24-2006, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Michelins Pilot A/S tires were nice and I have no complaints. They lasted longer than I thought they would (close to 30k) and handled extremely well in many different conditions. Except for the end of their life, I always had great confidence in the Michelin's. They are at the top of the heap of the ultra-high performance all season bunch.

That said, the price difference between the Avons and the Pilot A/S tires are about $50 -$70 per tire.The sheer number of positive reviews for the Avons and some recos from people on this board whom I respect convinced me. There just weren't enough miles/reviewers on the Pole Position to satisfy me. If the Avons do 95% of what the Michelin's did I think they are a great value. Time will tell. I don't have enough miles on them to have a good opinion yet.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:01 AM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position and have about 2K miles so far. I bought them because they are slightly less expensive, the 40K warrenty (I burned thru 3 sets of rears and 2 sets of fronts, Pilots Sports, in 25K miles) and the good reviews on Tirerack. Unfortunately I do not like the performance as compared to the Pilots. Control in the corners has diminished as the car now rolls more, diving into a corner at high speed with a porpoise motion throughout the turn. I have increased the tire pressure, with no decernable change. I purchased a set of sways in an effort to control the roll and improve cornering. On a subjective handling scale of 1 to 10 with the Pilots a 10, the Potenzas would be an 7.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by shooter
On a subjective handling scale of 1 to 10 with the Pilots a 10, the Potenzas would be an 7.
Are you talking about Pilot Sport All/Season, or the stock Pilot Sport Summer tires?

Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 PM
summer tires

Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I installed a Hotchkis front sway bar yesterday and set it on stiff (100% increase in resistance, 3 out of 4 holes) WOW what a diff in handling. A quick test drive last night and the roll and porpoise seem to be gone. Unfortunately today it rained so I could not push the car much.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm currently wieghing between the Potenzas vs Avon tires as well. The real benefit of the Bridgestones seems to be the warranty and slighly longer treadlife (400 vs 360). However, the Avons seem to perform almost the same according their roadtests and would constitute a big saving when purchasing 4 tires....

I'd consider the Continental Extreme contacts, but they are on back order.

Last edited by GuyLegend; 12-10-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 PM
I was trying to decide between the Avons and Potenzas myself, but after spending a lot of time reading the reviews on tirerack.com I don't think the Avons are a good idea. Seems like anyone who has over 10k miles is getting a ton of road noise. All the reviews for less than 10k are great, but read the reviews starting w/ those that have the most miles on the tires. Other reviews indicate that the michelin mxm4's have poor traction on water, so I'm leaning toward the bridgestone RE960AS.

Regarding the 40k mile warranty on the bridgestone's, how often do you have to rotate the tires side to side to keep that in effect? Has anyone just gone w/ 8" or 8.5" wide tires all around and done a normal rotation, instead of staggering? I suppose you'll lose some traction at the rear, but is it noticeable?

Old 12-12-2006, 11:33 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by shooter
I purchased a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position and have about 2K miles so far. I bought them because they are slightly less expensive, the 40K warrenty (I burned thru 3 sets of rears and 2 sets of fronts, Pilots Sports, in 25K miles) and the good reviews on Tirerack. Unfortunately I do not like the performance as compared to the Pilots. Control in the corners has diminished as the car now rolls more, diving into a corner at high speed with a porpoise motion throughout the turn. I have increased the tire pressure, with no decernable change. I purchased a set of sways in an effort to control the roll and improve cornering. On a subjective handling scale of 1 to 10 with the Pilots a 10, the Potenzas would be an 7.
you cant compair handling charactaristics of summer tires and all season tires, of course you're not going to get the handling of a summer tire you desire from an all season tire. Sometimes you have to give up one aspect for another.
-GP-

Old 12-13-2006, 11:51 PM
I learned that lesson the hard way gdup35sedan , next time I will probably spring for the pilots!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by 6mt-driver
I was trying to decide between the Avons and Potenzas myself, but after spending a lot of time reading the reviews on tirerack.com I don't think the Avons are a good idea. Seems like anyone who has over 10k miles is getting a ton of road noise. All the reviews for less than 10k are great, but read the reviews starting w/ those that have the most miles on the tires. Other reviews indicate that the michelin mxm4's have poor traction on water, so I'm leaning toward the bridgestone RE960AS.

Regarding the 40k mile warranty on the bridgestone's, how often do you have to rotate the tires side to side to keep that in effect? Has anyone just gone w/ 8" or 8.5" wide tires all around and done a normal rotation, instead of staggering? I suppose you'll lose some traction at the rear, but is it noticeable?
I have serious doubts you gain anything with side to side remount swaps. Especially if you have a good alignment on front and back. If you get a shop that just throws it on the rack and does toe in, and sees camber is still in spec. so does not touch it, beware. But if you get a good mechanic who will equalize settings from both sides as well as center spec, any side to side rotation will do little if anything.
One thing I learned is the rear springs set early in the coupe (not expected to carry much weight so they are light) and it will throw off camber. Adjusting side to side is critical. Also for some stupid reason (money) Infiniti uses stamped aluminum brackets for the lower rear control arms, instead of cast.
Too much flex. Maybe this has changed for 05 +, I have an 04.
Back to your original question, on staggering, it is done for balance in handling, I would not mess with it.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I have the avons with about 15k on them and they don't seem too noisy to me. See a fair amount cheaper than the bridgestones.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by cfrago
I have the avons with about 15k on them and they don't seem too noisy to me. See a fair amount cheaper than the bridgestones.
I'm a long way yet from 15K on mine, but enjoy then more everyday.
They are very quiet from the start, which might be one reason some folks complain after they start getting noisy with more miles.
The Pilot Sports on the other hand, are noisy from day one, and just get more noisy. Not knocking them, it is one of the trade offs an otherwise excellent tire.
There a lot of people with lots of miles on their Avons in the TR reviews.
One thing to keep in mind, only a few are driving G35s, and some vehicles are just noisier or transmit more noise. Just something to consider. Everything is a trade off of one kind or another in any case.