Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Z shock with Sports-tuned suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2003 | 06:43 PM
|
Z shock with Sports-tuned suspension?

Since my 04 Sedan w/ Sports tuned suspension has higher pressure springs would it be safe to install a set of z shocks to go with it?

Is there a down side beside firmer ride and lowered?
Possible bottom out?
Quick wore out OEM spring?

~ GT-R the Ultimate Driving Machine ~
- 2004 G35 Ivory Pearl/Black Leather
- Auto/Nav/Premium/Sports/Aero

Old 11-22-2003 | 11:56 AM
Re: Z shock with Sports-tuned suspension?

m500 (Newbie)
11/19/03 03:43 PM

Since my 04 Sedan w/ Sports tuned suspension has higher pressure springs would it be safe to install a set of z shocks to go with it?

Is there a down side beside firmer ride and lowered?
Possible bottom out?
Quick wore out OEM spring?
__________________________________________________ _

First thing, lets look at the tech aspect's to this:
Stock spring rates
F/R in lb/in
350Z and G35 coupe: 347/419
G35 sedan with sport: 357/407

350Z/G35coupe spring height vs G35 sedan W/sport
They are shorter and will lower the sedan 7/8" in the front and 1 1/8" in the rear

350Z/G35coupe strut lengths vs G35 sedan
They are shorter by 3/4" (this will not effect running height)

The reality is doing this is really tied up in the 350Z struts themselves. Yes it would be safe to do. However, you won't benefit like from using the Z's shorter springs and the slightly lowered center of gravity they provide. And, you will still have the issue of ride quality, perceived bounce and harshness. The Z sturts are a considerable notch above the coupe/sedan sport struts performance driving wise. But you pay a price in the ride and drive quality. Find a 03 350Z used some place and test drive it, that is the ride quality your looking at. The 04 Z's have different struts, so find a used 03. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with the Z struts unless you also get the Z springs, that way you get the lower center of gravity benefits. Cause with the Z sturts, you need all the positive benefits you can get to be able to deal with the ride quality that come alone with them.

You might want to wait for the Koni sport sturts to come out in spring of 04. While they will not offer quite the snap that the 03 Z sturts will offer, since they are purposefully taylored to have less compression dampening. They should never the less offer a more refinded system and offer you rebound control. Of course your looking at around $600 for the Koni's. I am not considering the Koni's as I do not want a system that has less compression dampening, that is unaccecptable, nnot a performance aspect I'm willing to give up. And Koni's price to convert their struts to double adjustable (compression and rebound) is insanely high.

Hope that helps

6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Custom true dual exhaust
Nismo header (soon)