Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Question about tire roar on 05 Cpe w/ sprt pkg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about tire roar on 05 Cpe w/ sprt pkg

Gang,

I had my wife's 06 G35 Sedan, w/sport pckg in for some minor warranty work and took the opportunity to test drive a used 05 G35C as stated in the title. I had not driven a coupe, but was interested because I am looking to buy a 1-2 year old car late this summer. Anyway, the car had 12,7xx miles and had the 19" wheels and 6spd manual.

I took it for a short test drive, and loved the handling, and response was good. However, there seemed to be a lot tire roar from the front. Salesman assured me this was not normal. I knew the "tire feathering" issue was a problem on the 350Z up through the 04 models. I did not think it was an issue with the G's. Is this common to the sport package?

Sidenote: I had the 07 G Sedan as a loaner overnight. NICE ENGINE! The 306 hp can really be felt compared to my wife's 280hp. It also had the sport mode automatic that will still shift the gears without the driver touching the stick (so to speak), but increases the shift points to higher rpm for more spirited acceleration. Infiniti has done a great job with the new sedan. This engine will rock in the new coupe.

TIA

CliffJ

Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
TO be honest with you i have an 04 with the 18's on it and it makes the roar as well. I think its normal because mine has done it ever since i have bought the G and even when i test drove them as well.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:35 PM
u think it might be the rubber? I want to switch to michelin pilot sport ps2s and see if it makes a difference.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
I was hopeing this would not be normal. I told the salesman that I would come by when I had more time and take some other coupes out for a spin and check the tire noise. I did not get a chance to look and see how much treadlife was left or if there were any unusual wear patterns on the tires.

Cliffj

Old 01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
I have an 05 6MT Coupe and i hear a roar as well and i really wish i could get rid of it but its something i can live with. If anyone has some good solutions to get rid of it then i may try it.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock Bridgestone Potenzas are incredibly loud... especially as they age. I switched to Michelin PS2s and they are a great improvement. However, you certainly do pay for them. Being a softer tire, they're quieter, smoother, but far more expensive. Also, an unfortunate side effect is that they're not as long lasting either. I got about 35k out of my Potenzas, which seems to be out of the ordinary in comparison to other owners here. However, I've only got about 5k on the clock with these PS2s and they're about 1/3 worn. =( Good things just don't last long I guess. At about $1500 a set, I don't think I'll be getting those Michelins again.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 PM
The tire wear on these cars is one of my main concerns. I will be looking for a vehicle to commute in. I usually average driving about 20K - 25K miles per year. At the rate some people burn through tires on this board, I would be buying two sets per year. Just too much for tires. About 60% of my commute is pretty good highway, and the rest is mostly smooth two lanes. I don't have to worry about too many potholes.

I would not want to wear through expensive tires quickly, and have to hear roaring all the time as well.

Anyone using tires that are getting better than 20K miles on a set, and not causing excessive noise. Or is the suspension setup causing this tire wear, and it doesn't matter what tires you buy?

Thanks for your inputs.

Cliffj

Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 PM
lazy a$$
High performance tires are usually noisy. I switched to Avons and they're a bit quieter. The grip on these tires are more than enough if you're not tracking the car.

Last edited by maj83; 01-17-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by overdrve
The stock Bridgestone Potenzas are incredibly loud... especially as they age. I switched to Michelin PS2s and they are a great improvement. However, you certainly do pay for them. Being a softer tire, they're quieter, smoother, but far more expensive. Also, an unfortunate side effect is that they're not as long lasting either. I got about 35k out of my Potenzas, which seems to be out of the ordinary in comparison to other owners here. However, I've only got about 5k on the clock with these PS2s and they're about 1/3 worn. =( Good things just don't last long I guess. At about $1500 a set, I don't think I'll be getting those Michelins again.

so the michelin ps2s aren't that good? tirerack ppl love those...and say they are supposed to last longer??

Old 01-18-2007, 09:18 AM
If you wanted to you could always noise dampen the floorboard, the doors, and the front wheel wells. I think that will cut down on the road noise quite a bit but not positive because i have never done it myself.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My original set of Michelin Pilot Sports on my coupe lasted well over 36,000 miles. I drove mostly highway during that time, and I was conservative in creating wheel spin
However, I would have to say that the tires became very noisy after 15,000 miles. I never had any issues with feathering or alignment, and they all wore pretty evenly. If I didn't pick up a piece of steel in the rear side wall of one, I probably would have still used them.....

Once I put on a new set.......the noise was sooooo much less. Never realized how loud they had got until I had them replaced...

I guess its one of the trade offs for having a high performance tire.....

Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have tire feathering on my '05

i know of at least a few members complaining about feathering and tire roar in the canadian forums.

unfortunately, it seems that it's part of the fun in owning the G

Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Its the tires cupping. Mine does it too.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by waterp7
so the michelin ps2s aren't that good? tirerack ppl love those...and say they are supposed to last longer??
Michelin PS2s are the best out there. Don't get me wrong, I love the set I have. But they tend to wear more, not sure what kind of cars the people from tirerack are putting these tires on, but our cars already have agressive suspension setups causing, in my opinion, the tire to wear quicker than normal. Although yesterday, I was at America's Tire getting one of mine patched and he said he'd be surprised if I even got 15k on those tires with my car. =\

Old 01-18-2007, 01:29 PM
the avon's on my car are new and they roar like crazy. they perform really really well but soooo noisy. I've gotten used to it though.

not to detour you from the car, i love my G, but it's definately not the car to go looking for as a commuter car. Maybe the wife's sedan would be a better choice for a commuting car and getting her something else.

you could always find some 17's and run a little thicker rubber on them and that would cut down on noise. My 17's i had with faulken tires on my lowrider didn't make any noise at all, these 18's on the g....sound like i'm driving my jacked up burban with 33's on it (actually i think the burban is half as loud as the car).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about tire roar on 05 Cpe w/ sprt pkg