Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Lightweight 19" vs OEM 18" vs OEM 17"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I remember, the closer the mass is to the center, the easier it is to turn/spin. So, do this little trick: Sit in a chair and spin yourself around. Now, while you are spinning around, out stretch your arms and you’ll noticed yourself spinning slower. While you are still spinning, move your arms back towards the body and you notice yourself spinning faster again. So, for a given diameter, if the 17’s, 18’s, and 19’s are the same diameter (I’m guessing the tires are making up the additional inches from the smaller diameter), it will all depend on how heavy the rims and tire combo is towards the outer edge. I don’t know how much of a weight difference there is from the 19’s vs. 18’s vs. 17’s at the outer edge (or once the edge starts) and how much of the weight is towards the inner hub/spokes. If the 17’s and 18’s are heavier from not being forged and using heavier alloys, then from the naked eye, the 17’s and 18’s have most of that extra weight closer to the center. So, in theory, they should spin faster with less torque required then that of the 19’s.

Oh, I forgot to mentioned that with the OEM 19’s, the width is larger so there is more contact to the ground, which will require more torque to spin too. Now, the extra contact to the pavement provides more traction, so there is more then just weight to consider when we are talking about performance.

Last edited by mephistomyhero; 01-19-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
you have to hold another variable constant, the weight of the entire combo, if you really want to know which wheel size is best, the wheel and tire combos have to be the same and just changing the wheel diameter. I'd bet the OEM 19 combo accelerates quicker than the OEM 18" combo because overall it weighs less so the even though more mass is located further from the axis of rotation, the weight savings counteracts this

Old 01-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OU812G350
but hey school was a long time ago for me...[new math]
lol...that's when "experience" kicks in.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
The thing is the 18" coupe wheels + the oem michelins are only a tad heavier than the 19" coupe wheels + the oem Bridgestone RE050s. The re050s are heavy *****. But the 19s themselves are quite a bit lighter than the 18s

Originally Posted by redlude97
you have to hold another variable constant, the weight of the entire combo, if you really want to know which wheel size is best, the wheel and tire combos have to be the same and just changing the wheel diameter. I'd bet the OEM 19 combo accelerates quicker than the OEM 18" combo because overall it weighs less so the even though more mass is located further from the axis of rotation, the weight savings counteracts this

Old 01-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
We are going to test the same type of tire though, given that everything is equal. So all rims will have the same type of tire. I think im going to use goodyear eagle F1 GS-D3 tires.

-sean

Old 01-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ilyaat
and if u can get 16"...even better
wrong wrong and more wrong. 18" wheels for our car are ideal for performance purposes.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Red Card Crew

And you know this how?????????

Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
wrong wrong and more wrong. 18" wheels for our car are ideal for performance purposes.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:08 PM
^ i love this kid whenever something is wrong he says "wrong wrong and more wrong" haha Yes 18" rims are ideal for track daily driving and what not, but thats not the test.

-sean

Old 01-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Red Card Crew

And YOU know this based on what information????????

[QUOTE=Nismo G Yes 18" rims are ideal for track daily driving and what not, but thats not the test.

-sean[/QUOTE]

Old 01-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
And YOU know this based on what information????????
As far as having optimum performance with optimum comfort the OEM 18s are going to be better of all the OEM wheels. Sidewall is thick enough where it doesnt take away from the ride and it is still quiet. Its just obvious im not getting into it on this haha

-sean

Old 01-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Red Card Crew

Optimum performance for what? Drag? Track? Wet? Dry? What oem 18s??? coupe 18s? You DO know these weigh about 123 gazillion lbs each right? Since when is "ride" and "quiet" part of the "optimum performance" consideration?

You won't get into it because you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by Nismo G
As far as having optimum performance with optimum comfort the OEM 18s are going to be better of all the OEM wheels. Sidewall is thick enough where it doesnt take away from the ride and it is still quiet. Its just obvious im not getting into it on this haha

-sean

Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Optimum performance for what? Drag? Track? Wet? Dry? What oem 18s??? coupe 18s? You DO know these weigh about 123 gazillion lbs each right? Since when is "ride" and "quiet" part of the "optimum performance" consideration?

You won't get into it because you really have no idea what you are talking about.
Dude who in the fvck are you comming into my thread and starting an argument over something that isnt even related to the topic? Why dont you fork over a few dollars and join as a premier member since you live on this site so much... Fvck off tool bag

-sean

Old 01-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Since i dont know dick about the tires, considering im doing an science experiment on them why dont you tell me what makes the OEM 18" rims so much wrose than the OEM 17" rims and OEM 19" rims????

-sean

Old 01-19-2007, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=mephistomyhero]From what I remember, the closer the mass is to the center, the easier it is to turn/spin. So, do this little trick: Sit in a chair and spin yourself around. Now, while you are spinning around, out stretch your arms and you’ll noticed yourself spinning slower. While you are still spinning, move your arms back towards the body and you notice yourself spinning faster again. So, for a given diameter, if the 17’s, 18’s, and 19’s are the same diameter (I’m guessing the tires are making up the additional inches from the smaller diameter), it will all depend on how heavy the rims and tire combo is towards the outer edge. I don’t know how much of a weight difference there is from the 19’s vs. 18’s vs. 17’s at the outer edge (or once the edge starts) and how much of the weight is towards the inner hub/spokes. If the 17’s and 18’s are heavier from not being forged and using heavier alloys, then from the naked eye, the 17’s and 18’s have most of that extra weight closer to the center. So, in theory, they should spin faster with less torque required then that of the 19’s.

Oh, I forgot to mentioned that with the OEM 19’s, the width is larger so there is more contact to the ground, which will require more torque to spin too. Now, the extra contact to the pavement provides more traction, so there is more then just weight to consider when we are talking about performance.[/QUOTE]

i disagree with that last statement.

Skinnier tires actually go through snow better than fatter tires, so traction is a moot point there. You are not entirely correct, Sir.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Red Card Crew

Easy. They DON'T. But then again, that's FAR from my point. I never said or implied they were worse. But you did specificly say they were BEST. It's on you to state why that is.

Originally Posted by Nismo G
Since i dont know dick about the tires, considering im doing an science experiment on them why dont you tell me what makes the OEM 18" rims so much wrose than the OEM 17" rims and OEM 19" rims????

-sean

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lightweight 19" vs OEM 18" vs OEM 17"