Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Lightweight 19" vs OEM 18" vs OEM 17"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
*sigh* the Bridgestone RE050S are the factory tire for the coupe 19s.

Originally Posted by G35_TX
My bad, so Micehlins are the factory tire. Okay, 21 and 23 still not bad. About the same weight as the Sedan 18" wheels like I said.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Red Card Crew

Don't know about Indy but this is probably the reason for using those ballon tires:

Inner and Outer Tires
On tracks that are more than 1 mile (1.6 km) long, where speeds are faster, NASCAR rules require that tires contain an inner liner. This is essentially a second tire mounted inside the first tire. It mounts to the rim and has its own separate air supply. If the outer tire blows, the inner tire is still intact, allowing the driver to bring the car to a controlled stop.
Also Indy wheels are only 15" so they have to run a higher profile tire.

Sure. Yea, a lot of these racers use low profile ghetto style tires for racing. LOL! If that was true, then you would see Indy cars or Nascar with really low profile tires and a large wheel.

You just proved you know nothing about racing. Again, why do MOST have larger sidewalls? WHY? I said why.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 01-22-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Sure. Yea, a lot of these racers use low profile ghetto style tires for racing. LOL! If that was true, then you would see Indy cars or Nascar with really low profile tires and a large wheel.

You just proved you know nothing about racing. Again, why do MOST have larger sidewalls? WHY? I said why.
No, you just proved that you know nothing about racing. Road racing, indy, and nascar are three way different racing classes. You cant even compare an open wheel indy car and a cts cadillac. Cant even compare nascar either considering they only drive in a circle, they dont need a strong sidewall tire thats why they use those huge sidewall slicks.

These dont look like low profile ghetto race cars to me...

http://www.world-challenge.com/gallery/#

scroll through the gallery and define "ghetto" for me, please!

-sean

Old 01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
*sigh* the Bridgestone RE050S are the factory tire for the coupe 19s.

Opps. lol

Old 01-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Don't know about Indy but this is probably the reason for using those ballon tires:

Also Indy wheels are only 15" so they have to run a higher profile tire.

Like I said, if wheels being large and tires being lower profile was a better thing it would be on there. But it is not. That is why you see SCCA all these miatas, etc with small wheels and larger tires.

If it was safety, then the Nascar tires wouldn't be as large as they are either. lol

Old 01-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Nismo G
No, you just proved that you know nothing about racing. Road racing, indy, and nascar are three way different racing classes. You cant even compare an open wheel indy car and a cts cadillac. Cant even compare nascar either considering they only drive in a circle, they dont need a strong sidewall tire thats why they use those huge sidewall slicks.

These dont look like low profile ghetto race cars to me...

http://www.world-challenge.com/gallery/#

scroll through the gallery and define "ghetto" for me, please!

-sean
You proved nothing. So they run almost all the same wheel/tire on every car. Looks to be the same wheels too. I bet they don't have a choice. Coming from racing experience and trying 19s and 18s on cars, I know that 18s are better for racing. More flex, less hop over bumps, more stability. 19s are way to skinny on the G35 to race in.

Again, this goes back to why the 350z on the track package has smaller wheels.

No, I proved my point. That is why professional racers do not use small profile tires.

If you look at those pictures, most of those wheel/tires are no more than max 18" in size on those cars. Like I said 19" is too much and is not for racing purposes.

Last edited by G35_TX; 01-22-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Red Card Crew

Not necessarily. You couldn't have low pro tires and FIT the safety systems required for the series. There is a difference inbetween the performance benefits of low profile tires AND RULES REGULATIONS for any particular race series. You don't get to run any tire/wheel combo in every race series. You should know this

Like I said, if wheels being large and tires being lower profile was a better thing it would be on there. But it is not. That is why you see SCCA all these miatas, etc with small wheels and larger tires.

If it was safety, then the Nascar tires wouldn't be as large as they are either. lol

Old 01-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I have Wedsports SA-70 18 inch rims
and they are only 17lbs each and are way stronger then any volk rim lol and most other rims out on the market, but thats what you pay for, any loss of wieght in the rim area helps lol

Attached Thumbnails Lightweight 19" vs OEM 18" vs OEM 17"-zzzzz.jpg  
Old 01-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Diameter might be true, but the overall mass is larger due to metal vs rubber. The bigger the wheel, the less performance you get.

Why do you think the 350z comes with smaller wheels on the performance models? lol.
Did you even read my post thoroughly before saying something you think is smart. I said to go faster...RIM size needs to be reduced or lighter material.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
You proved nothing. So they run almost all the same wheel/tire on every car. Looks to be the same wheels too. I bet they don't have a choice. Coming from racing experience and trying 19s and 18s on cars, I know that 18s are better for racing. More flex, less hop over bumps, more stability. 19s are way to skinny on the G35 to race in.

Again, this goes back to why the 350z on the track package has smaller wheels.

No, I proved my point. That is why professional racers do not use small profile tires.
Yes your absolutly correct. I know the 19" wheel is not a wheel size that anyone races in. I was proving to you from your previous statement that the cadillac isnt the only one that uses that size tire and that the cars arnt "ghetto". I was also proving to you that nascar, indy, and scca GT series are not in the same class. I know you are right about the 18 inch wheel being better for the road course or whatever.

Im just simply setting up an experiment at school to prove everyone that thinks the 19" wheel is better for acceleration wrong, but i cant do it without mathmatic evidence to back it up. Atleast on this forum. sorry if we are not talking about the same thing.

-sean

Old 01-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Premier Member

Okay I guess we were both talking about the same thing but a bit off from each other.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IIRC, there was a thread discussing the difference between stock 18" vs stock 19" wheels. I was one of the first people to switch from the 18" to the 19" so I did quite a bit of research on it. The result I found out was that....

1) OEM 19" rims are lighter than OEM 18" rims by appx 3lbs.

2) OEM 19" Potenza RE050A tires are much heavier than OEM 18" Michelin Pilot Sport

3) Handling with the 19" is definitely sharper and has less roll.

4) 18" feels lighter on the feet and helps with acceleration more.

It's true that the 19" Rays are lighter than the 18" cast. It's also true that the OEM 19" rays actually have less rotational mass than most aftermarket 19" rims. Take a look at the lip design of the OEM 19", they are actually very similar to a 18" rims with lip extension to make them into 19" rims. This particular lip design helps reducing the rotational mass on the OEM 19" compared to traditional 'fat lip' design on aftermarket wheels.

I think with the right tires the OEM 19" are very very competent rims for performance purposes. OEM 19" with Toyo tires (245 front / 255 rear) would probably yield very good performance on the track) As it stands, the weight of the Potenza RE050A makes the weight saving from the forged 19" pointless compared to OEM 18". (Why Infiniti, Why!?)

Old 01-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Red Card Crew

Thanks Sukairain. That about sums up my info as well as adding the lip info.

I just switched back to my oem 215-55-17s on stock wheels because of the snow. I noticed the accerlation is better as well as the gas mileage. But I don't know if it's because the 19s are heavier (I imagine they are heavier than the 17s/tires) or if the bigger dia rear tires are fudging my navi gas calculations.

I noticed the tire thing also when I was researching the wheel weights and tire weights. The RE050s are ROCKS! Would have been much better to go with the Michelin Pilots for the oem 19s. That would save 3-4 lbs right there!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You know, the easiest test you can do to test this out right? I know it isn't very scientific, but it'll work. What you do is, get two tires (the OEM 18's and 19's), put it on an incline, at the top, and let them both roll down the incline and see which one rolls down faster. I did this way way back in College Physics Class and it works. The key here is that even though diameter are different on the tires, it'll give you an approximation as to which one has less rototational torque, or whatever it is called.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
You know, the easiest test you can do to test this out right? I know it isn't very scientific, but it'll work. What you do is, get two tires (the OEM 18's and 19's), put it on an incline, at the top, and let them both roll down the incline and see which one rolls down faster. I did this way way back in College Physics Class and it works. The key here is that even though diameter are different on the tires, it'll give you an approximation as to which one has less rototational torque, or whatever it is called.
Except they will fallover/ angle at any significant distance that would be required to actually determine a differene. Easy to do in a class, not so easy in real life

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lightweight 19" vs OEM 18" vs OEM 17"