Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

flat tire repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flat tire repair

Hey guys,

I just got a flat tire on my coupe (17" rims). I was in a hurry to my destination so I stopped at the nearest 76 gas station. The guys there liked the car (I had just waxed it) and when they were done admiring, one nice fellow got down on his back and proceeded to plug the tire without even removing the wheel. He was extremely fast. He had it plugged and filled with air in less than 5 min.

It has been a week later and I checked the pressure. It was exactly the same as the other tires. I was wondering though, how reliable are these patches? Can I still drive fast (over 100?) safely? Thanks!

Danation.com - G35C CB & GRAPHITE / NAV / PREM / AT

Old 12-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Re: flat tire repair

Plugs are only good for short distances. The only correct way to repair a tire (if the puncture is in the tread area) is to remove it from the rim and patch it from the inside. Then remount and rebalance. It does, however, lose it's speed rating. If the puncture is in the sidewall, the tire must be discarded.

Lou

Old 12-09-2003, 08:10 AM

Lou is right. What you have is a temporary fix and you should take it to a reputable tire shop.

SKYLINE 350GT, NISMO R-Tune.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys are right, but haven't told you why yet. At some point in the not-so-distant future, that plug will be forced out of the hole, and you'll have a flat again.

A patch is different in that it is glued to the inside of the tire where the hole is, so the air pressure in the tire can't knock it out.

That "looses it's speed rating" bit is important, too. You'll be fine at slightly-over freeway speed limits, but you don't want to hit triple-digit speeds on that tire.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, the patch even makes the tire lose it's speed rating? Is that correct?

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 12-11-2003, 02:56 AM

Yes. Because, even with the patch, the tire has a hole. The structural integrity of the tire is compromised. It's just a general rule of thumb.. all tires lose their speed rating once they get a hole in them.

For what it's worth, though, I have a patched tire and I autocross on it. It's just that if you go 90+ on a patched tire and have a blowout, you won't be able to sue the tire manufacturer. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2003, 03:53 PM

Now I feel creepy. I am not prone to doing stupid things, but the other week I hit 130 on that plugged tire for quite some time. This makes me feel stupid now. I suppose that at the nearest opportunity I will take it to get patched at least. I suppose that is my most cost effective solution. Buying two tires would be foolish as I only have about 9000 miles on these and they look great. Thanks for the information my friends...

Danation.com - G35C CB & GRAPHITE / NAV / PREM / AT

Old 12-12-2003, 02:02 PM

Yeah, you don't want to go that fast, it's asking for trouble. A plug will eventually pop out.. just a matter of time. You don't want it to do that at 130. Even a patch isn't really safe at that speed, since the tire is weaker. I've never had trouble with patches at 85-90, though.

It cost me about $14 to have Firestone patch my tire. Note that when you buy replacement tires, if you opt for the "road hazard" coverage, then patches are most likely free of charge (as long as you get it done by the place/chain that you got the tires from).

Old 12-12-2003, 02:12 PM

All Discount Tire Stores patch any car, anytime fpr free. Goodwill, I guess. God for us.

Lou