Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

4chromewheels.com

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4chromewheels.com

Anybody used this place to get their wheels chromed?

2003 Black Coupe
Premium Package, Aero package, 35% Tint

Old 12-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Re: 4chromewheels.com

yes, I had my acura rims chromed there. They were okay for about two years. Then they started peeling.

Old 12-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how they do chromeplate these wheels, being an alloy, is there a certain process? I have the factory chrome wheels on my G, they sure help make the car!!! [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]
(of course, they were a big option.) [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 12-15-2003, 07:17 PM

Humm, I’m confused. When I went looking for my G (about a year ago) I was told that there were no ‘factory chrome’ rims, but that the dealer just sent the standard rims out to somewhere locally to be chromed. So, does that mean that all chromed rims may peel in a couple of years?

03.5 5AT Sedan
<font color=black> Black on Graphite / Prem / Sport / Winter / Tint / Aero Package </font color=black>

Old 12-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In simple terms, the wheel has to be cleaned and stripped of any paint and or imperfections. Next its placed in a special pre-plating solution (used only for aluminum) to allow for the various plating chemicals that will follow this step to adhere to the aluminum surface. From there, it usually goes into a hard copper solution where a layer of copper is added to the finish. Buffing is then performed to smooth out the finish, and if necceasry the part can be plated again to build up a thicker layer (to fill in scratches and defects) and once again buffed. Next comes the nickel plating (giving it the silver color) and then its chrome plated. This whole process is done using a electro-plating type equipment. Since the process is electrolysis, two electrodes exist. The part to be plated is made cathodic by connection to the negative terminal of the rectifier. Inert lead anodes are made electrically positive. When voltage is applied across the two, current flows through the solution and metal is deposited.

Well, there you go - chrome plating - in a nut shell!

Being in the precious metal business, we do a lot of work with precious metal plating, so I've been using such equipment for a long time. Its quite fun!

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 12-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There could be a number of reason why a chrome plated rim will peel and or crack. One, if the rim is not placed in a pre-plating solution (if aluminum) the chrome plating will not adhere to the metal. It wont last long at all! Next, if the nickel bath solution used is contaminated and or not kept clean and up to par, the chrome plating will begin to peel away in no time as well. Its all about the process and keeping the solutions clean. If the part is taken from one bath to another without proper cleaning, you'll get bath contamination, and that's when things go wrong. The voltage for the electrolysis must also be regulated accurately. Failure to do so will yield poorly plated items, which in time will fade and peel.

So what you need to do, is look for a plater who's been in the business for a long time. One who knows what he or she is doing, and ask what kind of warranty they offer on the finish.

For the most though, people who plate rims these days, do a pretty good job.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 12-15-2003, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the info ducatiguy! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

03.5 5AT Sedan
<font color=black> Black on Graphite / Prem / Sport / Winter / Tint / Aero Package </font color=black>

Old 12-15-2003, 07:48 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Humm, I’m confused. When I went looking for my G (about a year ago) I was told that there were no ‘factory chrome’ rims, but that the dealer just sent the standard rims out to somewhere locally to be chromed.

<hr></blockquote>
Oh, I am wondering now, if you go to the Infiniti website/G35/Compare, on the list of options are Chrome wheels, mine were a dealer added option, but they were the same added price as there, how starnge they would sho them in that list of options, but not when you "build and locate", LOL, now I am confused![img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2003, 07:53 PM

Well, I’m sorry that I helped to confuse you, but at least I’m not the only one! [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I originally would’ve gotten chrome rims, but I’d have to send them out and I still haven’t decided if I want to do that or get all new rims. Anyway, your comment just made me curious.

03.5 5AT Sedan

Old 12-15-2003, 07:56 PM

The chrome's were already on my car when I saw it in the showroom, I would hope that they wouldn't just have been sent out and plated for what they cost, but who knows! They are very nice wheels, I am glad I got that "option" sure makes the car!

Old 12-15-2003, 07:58 PM

I absolutely agree, chrome wheels really make the car look nice! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

03.5 5AT Sedan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.