Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Pros and cons of changing wheel Offsets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
Manufacturers dont go with aggressive setups because they have to cater to the needs of the average american, which wouldnt be one that wants to drop thousands and thousands of dollars into his/her car wiht aftermarket parts.. there is a limit to how much you can increase the width offset on every car unless you go with a widebody, even then it doesnt negatively affect the cars performance..
-GP-
What about suspension wear? You think the difference in weight shifting could cause components to wear faster (bushings, ball joints, etc.).

I don't know. If manufacturers increased their stock offsets for improved handling and enhanced looks, I don't think there would be much expense that is passed on to the consumer, except for possibly wider tires.

Nonetheless, perhaps this isn't a point of much consequence. The mere fact that offsets are changed so often within limits with little negative feedback or press out there probably signifies that the issue isn't of too much consequence. But then again, I would be inclined to believe that most folks who change their wheel setup are more concerned with visual appeal, rather than vehicle dynamics and longevity.

In any case, I'm going to end up buying wheels with a 20+ offset for the coupe. I think I should be fine in the long run.