Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Question: Knock off rims vs. name brand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap knockoff wheels are a no-no in my book. Especially on a decent tuner car. Spend the money for nice wheels, or just keep saving. OEM wheels are 100000x better than crappy aftermarket ones. Same holds true with most mods, right?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by citymunky
What do you think about this company?? They started out in Australia in 1957 and are well known there. They offer a Lifetime Structural Warranty and Five Year Warranty on the Finish. To me that says alot, they maybe cheaper than most, but their are not total crap.

My

http://www.speedywheels.com.au/
http://www.speedywheels.com/
Check out the showroom

I dunno, you're the one who owns them. What do you think? I looked on their website, and I couldn't see anything that talks about their manufacturing process. Are your wheels forged or cast? For me, I'm always willing to pay more for the forging over the casting because i can't think of any advantage of casting over forging except for cost.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^(I have Casted rims)I know forged wheels are stronger and lighter than a cast wheel but at the time I brought them I needed something a little cheaper than forged rims. (I just had my son at the time). I was going for decent quality rims, that looks good. In the two years I had them, I have no problems at all, and if I did I have a lifetime warranty to fall back on. People tell me all the time that I have nice rims.

Soon after I go F/I, I will be getting some better quality/looking like Work, or something made by Rays. And if I win the lotto Maya, or HRE's

Last edited by citymunky; 12-31-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by citymunky
^(I have Casted rims)I know forged wheels are stronger and lighter than a cast wheel but at the time I brought them I needed something a little cheaper than forged rims. (I just had my son at the time). I was going for decent quality rims, that looks good. In the two years I had them, I have no problems at all, and if I did I have a lifetime warranty to fall back on. People tell me all the time that I have nice rims.

Soon after I go F/I, I will be getting some better quality/looking like Work, or something made by Rays. And if I win the lotto Maya, or HRE's

I may be mistaken but I don't belive Maya's are forged. I can't find anything on it on the net right now but I remember before I bought rims I looked into Mayas and they use a process called "cold casting." I'm not sure how this compares to forging or regular casting. I know you said that was only if you won the lottery but, hey you never know

If I wont the lottery, I think it would be DPE for me. http://www.dpengineering.cc/wheels.htm

Last edited by EvolutionGSR; 01-01-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I not sure if they forged or not, but I'm sure that their are PIMP.
Besides "if" I won the lotto(BTW I don't play), I'll get a Black R35 GT-R for my speed needs, and keep the G for a beater.

I just looks at the DPE website, I must say, that I like most of their wheel designs , I might just go this way after F/I. I like to be different, from everybody else.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Yah they're nice rims. My favorites I think are the signature series 7's. But those are some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I also like their Gt 7 and their R10.