Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Nitrogen.The big question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrogen.The big question?

Ok,I'm due for tires soon.

I've done the search and it's 50/50.But there a little dated.

I'm thinking pure nitrogen has obvious benefits.Wondering what the diehard modders like mchavez,trankk(timmy) are putting in their tires?

My Bridgestone Turanza's aren't going to get 30'000 k.That sucks.The tires for these cars as you know aren't cheap.Looking at Toyo,Dunlop or Goodyear.Appreciate the feedback.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 AM
get nitrogen fills in your tires if you like those ugly blue caps on your valve stems, cuz imho that's the only real difference, I can't believe someone is actually getting paid off this idea, what's next,windex in the windshield washer tank? snake oil in the motor? I never really researched it but from what i hear the 100% nitrogen molecules are larger than air ( 80% nitrogen, no?) and the leaks are slower or some crap.. so i guess you end up saving $.00000009 per year in gas money, btw what does it cost to fill a tire? and drive around town to find a nitrogen filling station? and refill after u got a flat?... when my sis got her is250 the sales man was goin on about some crap that it makes the tire wear even too? someone pls tell me i'm wrong

Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 AM
You can fill nitrogen filled tires with normal air if your tires are running low. no need to have to fill only nitrogen. There's no other real benefits that i can think of. My sedan is filled with air and my accord is filled with nitrogen and i haven't noticed anything different at all except for the green caps.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
There are some benefits, but only in extreme applications. Racing teams use it because it's processed to be drier, so they get a more predictable heat expansion. Trucking companies use it because they get less long-term oxidation of wheels and tire carcasses. All the stuff you hear about slower leakage, tire wear, fireproof, lower running temp, better ride, etc. is at best theoretical, but mostly bullsh!t. If it's free take it, but don't go out of your way or pay a bunch for it, and don't hesitate to add air to it if you need to.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
One of the MotorWeek mechanics said "100% nitrogen in tires is good is due to the lack of moisture, primarily so wheels won't corrode and TPMS sensors won't corrode."

Old 07-06-2007, 12:22 PM
basically, nitrogen is pretty inert, and if it's pure, well, there's no oxygen or water vapour to oxidize your rubber, wheels, or steel belts. (remember firstone and explorers), basically, unless you do ridiculously low mileage and expect your tires to last more than 4 or 5 years, i wouldn't really bother, a good filling station should have a drier on the compressed air anyways...

Old 07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
I was thinking of going helium. Should help me with my drive-on-water project. lol

Old 07-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
That is a good question. I drive from Phoenix (1100ft) to Prescott (5200ft) all the time so I have to add air to my tires quite often. It would be too much of a PITA to use it.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
If it's free take it, but don't go out of your way or pay a bunch for it, and don't hesitate to add air to it if you need to.
+ 1

Old 07-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pska
I was thinking of going helium. Should help me with my drive-on-water project. lol
LOL indeed. Helium is just the opposite of nitrogen when it comes to the physical properties of diffusivity and permeability. While nitrogen is less prone to leak through a container than oxygen (or air), helium will eventually leak through solid steel, and valves have to be specially designed to be "leakproof".

Old 07-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Well for one your not going to notice a difference...anyone that actually thinks nitrogen is better for the car is crazy. The only thing that nitrogen does better than regular air is the molecules are thicker and you won’t loose pressure as fast. Other than that you will never notice a difference. I say save your money and just put regular air in them.

-Sean

Old 07-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok I know I am probally setting myself up but, is nitrogen flamable? (sorry for spelling)

Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 PM
^Nope. It's completely inert. Your probably thinking of nitrous oxide (N2O), which also is not flammable. It's a good oxidizing agent though.

I see no point in in nitrogen fills other than as another method to take the consumers money.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Nitrogen......why all the fuss?

If the tire shop you go to offers Nitrogen why not give it a try....it can't hurt!
Let's not get our pantys in a wod over something new and diffrent especially
when it does show some improvement.....remember fuel injection vs the carb?

Old 07-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
If the tire shop you go to offers Nitrogen why not give it a try....it can't hurt!
Let's not get our pantys in a wod over something new and diffrent especially
when it does show some improvement.....remember fuel injection vs the carb?
Because they charge you like some stupid fvcking amount to put nitrogen in your tires...something like 10 dollars a tire!

-Sean

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen.The big question?