Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Great wheels vs. Average

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:14 PM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ that's where i'm stuck. I can't seem to find anything in 20" between cheaper looking $2500 and expensive (to me at least) $4500 with tires.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
You don't have to justify a thing to us. Almost all aftermarket wheels are going to be heavier than stock becuase people purchase them in wider widths. Its not an apples to apples comparison anymore. SSR makes decent wheels, with multipiece designs that have similar manufacturing techniques to volks etc with a cast center and forged outer barrel, a good choice if you are on somewhat of a budget. If you can find a set for $2000 with tires, then jump on it, a new set from japan in custom offsets cost almost as much as a set of volks already, so they aren't cheap wheels by any means. The quality of the wheel isn't just in the manufacturing technique but also in the finishing. I can spot a quality wheel from a cheaper imitation just by the lip and paint. Good wheels have polished lips and cheaper 1 piece wheels have machined lips which don't hold a candle to the shine of a set of multipiece wheels. The paint usually doesn't hold up as long either so you may end up paying more in the end just to get them refinished. Its up to you, but I'd rather roll OEM 19's than a imitation 1 piece wheel

oh i totally agree about the finish...thats the whole reason why i was saying that its totally unnaceptable to use those cheap no name rims..i see so many rims that are supposed to be "chromed out" and just look like somebody splashed paint all over them...they look horrible u can immediately tell the diffrence...good rims you can see the details clearly in the shine and the way everything stands out

im just saying that there are good quality rims that look good, are polished not machined, and go for decent prices and have a comparable level of detail to the high priced rims

when i said 2000 i meant that without including tires. i still gotta do my research on tires but thats something i will definitly go all out and make a good investment. anyone wanna make some suggestions? i need something thats will be good year round and able to perform well in the snow.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by izmir41500
^ that's where i'm stuck. I can't seem to find anything in 20" between cheaper looking $2500 and expensive (to me at least) $4500 with tires.
OZ has some wheels that go for around 700 a peice and are really nice.. peep the Galileos on Tirerack.com

the brand i mentioned earlier, SSR, has some 3 peice wheels for about 500 that are also nice

Ro_Ja, has some nice ones as well

im still leaning towards the OZs myself i just cant seem to find any pics of them on the actual car...im interested in the Galileo IIIs

Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
very very very few work wheels are forged. mine are cast, but still strong as fvck!
I don't know about "very few" work wheels being forged. When I was looking at them, most of them are a combination forged and spin-cast.

(Spin cast is stronger than regular cast, in the same way that pressure cast is better than regular cast)

As far as others saying that forged doesn't make a difference... Sure it does... Take a real Samurai sword that is properly forged, and take a Samurai sword that was simply cast. You think you can sword fight the same with these two swords? I bet you the cast sword will break first.

Forging alters the structure of a metal, giving it completely different properties...

Now I'm not saying forged wheels are immune to damage, but they are certainly MUCH stronger than cast wheels.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I think all low profiles especially on RWD wheel suck on the snow no matter what.

From what i've seen and read, Sevas and some Axis are relatively light compared to other cast wheels.

I've been searching for wheels for quite some time now but my budget seems to keep me out of reach until I'm 80 years old or something. i would definitely considered these two brands for the price and decent quality if i was to ever win some lottery scratch-offs.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Deezflip
I think all low profiles especially on RWD wheel suck on the snow no matter what.

From what i've seen and read, Sevas and some Axis are relatively light compared to other cast wheels.

I've been searching for wheels for quite some time now but my budget seems to keep me out of reach until I'm 80 years old or something. i would definitely considered these two brands for the price and decent quality if i was to ever win some lottery scratch-offs.
everyone i have asked has told me to get the highest profile possible for my tires when i get the new wheels...they tell me that if i get low profile tires it will be much noisier, much rougher, etc....will the higher profile on the tires help with the snow? i dont need to have extreme performance in the snow...just need something that is safe in the snow and just as good all year round. i most liekly will be keeping the whip inside the garage for most of the winter anyways

Old 06-18-2007, 08:51 PM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayizratedx
OZ has some wheels that go for around 700 a peice and are really nice.. peep the Galileos on Tirerack.com

the brand i mentioned earlier, SSR, has some 3 peice wheels for about 500 that are also nice

Ro_Ja, has some nice ones as well

im still leaning towards the OZs myself i just cant seem to find any pics of them on the actual car...im interested in the Galileo IIIs
i didn't see any of those in 20", and they didn't have any lip. so far it looks like axis shine's are a good choice.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by jayizratedx
im just gonna get some good rims, that weigh no more then 29pounds, and cost no more then 2G's... if i see something lighter then stock fine and if i dont...lets be real 16 pounds is not that serious ...i feel no diffrence driving my car with 2 average sized passengers and again i am not racing
You should know that 16lb extra per wheel is a lot! Keep in mind that its rotational mass, not just dead weight.

Trust me, i went from oem 19s to cast 20" rims. The back 20s weighed 28, front 26 i think. The difference was big. The car felt like a tank, acceleration was way slower and braking was much longer.

i had big tires on, 285/30/20 in the back.. that probably had something to do with accelearation and braking too.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Polishthrust
You should know that 16lb extra per wheel is a lot! Keep in mind that its rotational mass, not just dead weight.

Trust me, i went from oem 19s to cast 20" rims. The back 20s weighed 28, front 26 i think. The difference was big. The car felt like a tank, acceleration was way slower and braking was much longer.

i had big tires on, 285/30/20 in the back.. that probably had something to do with accelearation and braking too.
i think im totally sold on the OZ Galileos right now its just a matter of deciding if the black or the silver looks better with my car

im definitly not going with 20s...im gonna go with the 19s
according to the site those are 29 pounds each and are 3 peice, LP/ spun cast

how does that sound? so far everyone has told me those are a very nice set of rims

Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 PM
if i dont go with the OZ Galileos i think my second choice will be the SSR GT3

they look very nice but arent exactly my color of choice....however they are much lighter then the stock rims and are also 3 peice

heres the links to each...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...+Coupe+Leather

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...3&autoModClar=

Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 PM
wtf? whats this line for?
i like the O.Z's

Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Polishthrust

ohhh by the way...its not 16 pounds extra per wheel...each wheel is 29 pounds on the OZs so its about 4 pounds extra per wheel for a total of 16 pounds

Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Would 36lb wheels affect my performance significantly ?
Upgrading from stock 18s to 20s

Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Red_G35
Would 36lb wheels affect my performance significantly ?
Upgrading from stock 18s to 20s
yes

Old 06-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Arent almost all 20" wheels going to be heavier? If I want to go to a 20" rim is 36lb heavy? Or is that average weight for a 20"?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Great wheels vs. Average