Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tein install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein install

I'm going to install my coilovers tomorrow and i needed to know if i need spring compressors for the springs or if i can make it by without.

Dark Side Of The Moon

Old 01-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Re: Tein install

I would highly recommend using a spring compressor for the install.

Jason Siu
G35STUFF!

Old 01-20-2004, 09:58 AM

Use a spring compressor. It's a very very dangerous to try to do this without one.

Old 01-20-2004, 11:25 AM

Which coilovers did you get?

Black on Black 5AT Coupe
Premium, Splash guards, Navi
19" Axis Se7en Mods
350Z Duct
Stillen Hi Flow
7 Wire Hypergrounding Kit
Aluminum Pedals

Old 01-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

A note to everyone on this issue, especially coupe owners. Coupes oem suspension use's shorter springs and struts. On these cars you should be able to easily remove the front units without using a sping compressor to get them off the car, that is the intact spring strut assembly in one piece. Sedan owners will have to use a spring compressor to unmount the spring/strut assembly off the car. Unless your willing to do more work to disassemble the suspension. Of course once off the car no matter what, NEVER EVER simply remove the top nut on the shock/spring assembly. Compress the spring to get the top strut mount off. Rear suspension of course is totally different.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 01-21-2004, 03:03 AM

Today I installed my Tein basic coilovers and Stillen camber bars in about 5 hours at my buddy's house.It was cake without any spring compressors,and the only hold-up was getting new cotter-pins just to be safe.I lowered it pretty low and the toe-in is pretty bad,so I have to get some toe adjusting bars from Stillen tomorrow and then align the car.Hopefully I don't need front arms too!

Dark Side Of The Moon

Old 01-21-2004, 03:31 AM

I'm looking at the same Tein's. Please let me know how the alignment goes.

G35C Blk, 6MT, Lthr, Aero, Prem

Old 01-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our suspension unit comes off entirely if we have a coupe?

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 01-21-2004, 09:40 AM

Didn't realize you were installing the Basics! If you were just doing the springs I would've highly recommended the spring compressor but since you were doing a complete strut assembly it was an easy swap in and out. Hope you enjoy the system!

Jason Siu
G35STUFF!

Old 01-22-2004, 02:43 AM

well, I finished the toe bar today and I cant find a local shop here in costa mesa CA to get an alignment done along with final hight adjustment. Any info on a shop guys/gals?

Dark Side Of The Moon

Old 01-22-2004, 03:41 AM

Just to warn you, those traction bars cannot adjust toe without affecting the camber. You would have to mill the OEM bolt and put a larger bolt were the spring pocket is.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=toe+fix

"I have LSD's camber/traction rods. I went today to an alignment shop to have the rear aligned after installing them. We spent a few hours checking out the rear suspension. Camber was easy to adjust.... just turn the turnbuckle on the rod and dial it in.

Problem is the toe get's nasty when the camber is brought back to within -1.5.... the resultant effect is WAY too much toe-in.

I had this problem on the right side. The left side came to within spec but barely. The right side had +.42" of toe-in when the camber was dialed to -1.6.

Contrary to what most believe traction rods do not really adjust toe. Their attachement point is right inline with the angle of inclination. Lengthening/shortening of the traction rod results in rear caster adjustment only.

I know... I know.... some of you may say that your alignment shop used the traction rod to adjust the toe.... while they may have, what really happened is the toe that was "adjusted" was really a byproduct of a caster change. Chances are your caster is not what it should be.

So now I'm thinkning I'm screwed.... I take the car home and think about it for a few hours..... Then the lightbulb lit up!

I took off the rear lower control arm (the one the spring sits in). I saw that if I milled out the hole in the outter end of the arm (end closest to the tire) to a slot as opposed to a prefect circle it would allow me to relocate the bolt to the inside by about 3/16". Essentially the same thing that the frame has for the other side of the arm that uses a cam.

To lock the bolt in place, I drilled and tapped 4-40 threaded holes and screwed in (with RED Loctite) stainless allen bolts that act as "locking pins"

This new bolt location pulls the rear of the spindle in a good amount.

After this mod I found that the toe had TONS more adjustment! My stock toe cam isn't even maxed out and I have perfect toe now. My camber is set at -1.4 now.

Finally the solution to my toe/camber problem in the rear. IMO this is a must if your dropped 1.3" or more.

Total time to complete was about 1 hour.

Tools used:
17mm wrench
19mm wrench
Dremel with carbide milling cutter (and a steady hand)
4-40 tap with #43 drill bit
4-40 stainless Allen bolts cut to 3/8" long
Red Loctite

6-32 bolts could be used instead of 4-40's.... I had no 6-32's on hand.

A few pics below to illustrate the mod.

My alignment shop guy was amazed at how simple the fix was.... you'll be too if you try it."

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 01-22-2004, 01:06 PM

Wes,
After I dropped mine, I waited a waited a few days for it to settle, and then made adjustments for how low I really wanted it to be. Worked on both the front and back, and when I was satisfied, I took it to Glenn's Alignment over on Canyon. I think that is over in your area of C.M. It is a computer alignment, and they did'nt screw up the rims putting the sensors on.

I just have Kinetics camber bars, and not the toe rods. After I was done adjusting things myself, I ended up with too much toe out in the rear. But they were able to set it within spec.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:41 PM

I would go to West End alignment in gardena. Problem is that he's always booked, so you need to schedule an appointment with him. Darin does race cars and takes his time aligning your car with instruments, no computers. He had me sit in the car to get the perfect alignment.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 01-22-2004, 09:13 PM
G Kreuzer

This Darin guys is gooooooood! Highly recommended!

Clint (THX723)

Old 01-22-2004, 11:22 PM
Premier Member

Gardena.. I know that place, I used to fly out there and stay in Manhattan Beach right on the end of crenshaw bvld

Thanks - Joey Avino

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tein install