Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Non-staggered setup on a 06 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
after doing some research i realized that the rear offset (33) and a wider wheel (8") would stick out too much to put in the front. So i am back to either finding another set of OEM 17's or maybe i will look at some aftermarket wheels. back to the drawing board.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket1991
after doing some research i realized that the rear offset (33) and a wider wheel (8") would stick out too much to put in the front.
Why would it stick out?

The 18's on a coupe are 8" wide and +30mm offset for all 4 wheels, and they are tucked pretty good.

a +33mm offset would tuck the wheel even more... It's the smaller offset that would push the wheels towards the outside.

I have an 8.5" wheel on the front with a +25mm offset, and it's pretty flush.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
Yes it WILL go crazy... The VDC is programmed thinking the front tires are 2% smaller in circumference than the rear tires... If you replace your tires such that all 4 tires are the same size, the ECU is going to think your front tires are slipping becuase they are spinning too fast compared to the rear tires.

Yes, many here run aftermarket rims, such as myself... But almost everyone maintains the 2% stagger front to back.... For example, I have 245/40-18 on the fronts, and 275/40-18 on the back... So as far as tire circumference is concerned, I'm still basically stock.

I'm not talking about traction differences between widths... All I'm talking about is the difference in tire circumference front to back... Whatever tire you get, you just need to make sure the rear tire circumference is 2% greater than the front. Otherwise, the VDC will think one of your tires are slipping, because it's spinning too fast/slow based on it's calculations.

So you can run 245/40-18 on the front and 245/45-18 on the back. Same width, but you still maintain the 2% stagger. Of course, you won't be able to rotate with this setup, which is what my original point was. As soon as you make all 4 tires have the same size circumference, you screw up the VDC's calculations because it assumes a 2% difference front to back.

Hey so going by this I'm guess this is what has happened to me. I just replaced my rear tires with Toyo T1r But I went with 255 40 18 in the back with the stock 225 45 18 in the front. this makes my VDC start to lock the front tires when I make a slight turn. But is that a feature that still happens with VDC OFF because it still did it even with it off. It doesn't do it on a hard turn just on slight turns going 50+ mph

Old 08-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned
IT WILL NOT GO CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP this rumor forever. I run 17's in the winter and have no problems PERIOD!!! I even asked the dealer before I bought them. They told me a lot of their customers do this.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Hey I'm not trying to start a rumor. I can't take any turns the way I could before I put the new tires on. The VDC starts to act up when on and the ABS does also when VDC is off and I start to press the brake in a curve.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing the folks that actually run winter tires, actually have to drive on snow... I'm guessing those folks aren't taking corners with these snow tires?

I'm not trying to start rumors either... All I know, is that when I swapped my rear tires, I could not even take mild corners without the VDC flipping out, and I even swapped em' out for tires of the same size. But because they were a different brand, they were 1/10" different in size.

As far as the turning off the VDC... I remember a while back that it was determined that turning VDC off with the switch disables a bunch of the protections, but it doesn't completely turn off the system.

Either way, I wouldn't really want to drive my car with the VDC off all the time. I like having it.

As far as the dealer is concerned... My friend just bought a G35x, and had the dealer swap coupe rims onto his car. He claims that the dealer used the Consult tool to recalibrate the VDC for his tires. Not sure if they really did or not, but just throwing it out there.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by avs007
Yes it WILL go crazy... The VDC is programmed thinking the front tires are 2% smaller in circumference than the rear tires... If you replace your tires such that all 4 tires are the same size, the ECU is going to think your front tires are slipping becuase they are spinning too fast compared to the rear tires.
I dont quite understand this statment??
Running the same size front/rear tires, wouldnt the fronts be rotating the same as the rears?? On the staggered set up the fronts will turn faster as they have a smalled diameter.
And how about all those running winter tires non-stagered, are they having VDC problems??
Is anyone running the same size on all 4 WITHOUT the VDC kicking in??
Am thinking 245-45's all round so I can rotate front->rear
Inquiring minds need to kno..
Thanks.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by puttrench
I dont quite understand this statment??
Running the same size front/rear tires, wouldnt the fronts be rotating the same as the rears?? On the staggered set up the fronts will turn faster as they have a smalled diameter.
And how about all those running winter tires non-stagered, are they having VDC problems??
Is anyone running the same size on all 4 WITHOUT the VDC kicking in??
Am thinking 245-45's all round so I can rotate front->rear
Inquiring minds need to kno..
Thanks.
It would great if someone can answer this simple question.

Is anyone actually running 245-45' all around (w or wo the VDC kicking in)?

Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run 245/40/18's Dunlop Sport M3 Winters at all four corners and yet to have any VDC issues yet. So far it's only been wet out but hopefully I'll get to try it in some snow soon.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I roll 245/45-19s on all corners, not a problem yet.