Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Eibach's bouncy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2004 | 02:50 AM
|
Re: Eibach's bouncy

All of this headache over a blown strut due to an incompetent installer (a former friend of mine)

I'll let everyone know the improvement in my ride quality with a functioning susupension as soon as I get my new strut installe.d

Old 03-02-2004 | 12:46 AM

In all reality you are going to blow your stock struts ( if thats what your replacing your blown one with) ALL DAY LONG!!! When you upgrade springs on stock struts even on sportier cars with upgraded struts you will blow them. This happens because they are being compressed that 1-2 inches more than they are meant to be all the time. I bet your buddy didnt blow your struts..you did just by driving..when you lower a car you need to change those struts out period..your best bet is the Koni Yellow adjustables...I've had those on all my cars except my G because they just came out for our G's and I havent gotten around to ordering them yet....and your second best bet is to before buying them from shox.com..search ebay for them..if none there..look for a seller selling them for any car..email them and ask there price for your car..and have them set up an auction for you or just buy them over the phone or whatever...you have better chances of gettin them cheaper that way..I did this for all my cars and ended up saving hundreds over websites like shox.com and others...Goodluck!

"Dont start none, won't be none"

Old 03-02-2004 | 01:00 AM
|

COUPEDIT03:

I appreciate your advise on the Koni's. I just can't justify the price of these shocks at this point. I'm 100% positive my former friend destroyed the strut. I watched him scratch the strut (on the chrome cylinder) by using vice-grips (and he tried to cover up his mistake by laughing about it).

Deep scratches and gouges are definitely not good news for a device that relies on a proper seal and I've witnessed this several times before (even though it was on R.C. cars).

I'm sure more members would have complained about their stock struts blowing out at this point, and to compound my stance I only have 4500 miles on my G.

I've driven other vehicles lowered more than 1" and never blew the struts with over 50,000 miles of hard driving.

I'm going to wait until there is a little more competition out there for replacement struts. I do like the idea of the adjustable rebound and compression rates on the Koni's.

Old 03-02-2004 | 02:38 PM

Ouch...the scratched strut definitely does not help. I'm curious...how much heavier are the 20's (wheel and tire) than the stock combo? The added unsprung weight only exacerbates the limitations of the strut in conjunction with the Eibachs...if there are any. When you get the strut replaced (and if it still bounces), put the stock wheel/tire combo back on if you can. Drive and take notice of the bounce. I have the Eibachs on a stock wheel/tire and notice little to no bounce.

Old 03-02-2004 | 06:27 PM
|

I forget the exact weights, but the 20" wheels/tire combo I have is only about 3lbs. heavier than the the stock setup. Unfortunately, I no longer have the stock wheels and tires since it was worth it to sell them to another forum user.

I get my new strut Wednesday, and will install it Friday. I'll keep you guys posted as to the improvement. Hopefully I don't have to change to aftermarket struts quite yet.