Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

How to adjust sways for wider tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to adjust sways for wider tires?

I put on new tires/wheels in back, so it's a staggered set-up, now:

F: 18x8 SSR GT1's & 225/45/18 Bridgestone PP S03's
R: 18x9 SSR GT1's & 255/40/18 Bridgestone PP S03's

I note a significant increase in grip with the new, wider rear tires/wheels in place. I really like the look, too!

I had an Eibach Anti-Sway Kit installed a month or so ago. They were set soft in front and medium (center hole) in the rear. Now that I have more grippy meats in back, I'm thinking of adjusting the sways to full-firm on both front and rear.

Any thoughts...?

Thanks as always.

'03 G35 5AT Sedan, Garnet Fire/Willow
Staggered 18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03's
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs & Eibach Anti-Sway Kit
Stillen SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bullseye on 02/21/04 06:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Re: How to adjust sways for wider tires?

Unless you are a very serious autocrosser you can leave them on whatever setting you want and probaly will not notice any difference. Try different settings and see, but it takes a pretty serious and seasoned driver to be able to tell the difference in the settings. The incresaed grip is most likely because you have new rubber.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks for answering. Please let me clarify...

I have had my sways on for weeks. I just had wider rear tires installed a couple days ago. I *know* the newly improved grip is coming from the larger rear tire contact patch(es). It's quite an improvement! :-)

Now, with wider, grippier tires on the rear, I wonder if I could re-adjust the settings on the Eibach sways to leverage the benefits of increased rear traction. Do you think I can adjust settings to full-firm on both front and rear without asking for an acute case of oversteer the next time it rains? If so, I can dial-out more body-roll without inducing oversteer in the wet.

I think this'll work fine. How about you?

Thanks.

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs & Eibach Anti-Sway Kit
Stillen SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System

Old 02-21-2004, 11:56 AM

Go for it!

Old 02-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Certainly you could set both bars to full stiff, that in theory would mirror how my Cusco setup is. But, I have 245's front and rear, and you have less thread width in the front with 225's. If it was my car and if I achieved neutral handling balance with the bars set a soft front and medium rear with the oem 215mm tires, I'd simply set the rear bar to full stiff on the new tire setup. BUT, if you still had some understeer, I'd try front medium, rear full stiff. To test your new adjustments, use the testing procedure as outlined by Loren04Coupe in this thread 3rd post from the top. https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...t=1#Post175209

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-22-2004, 11:02 PM

Thanks. That's very helpful information.

Eibach Springs & Anti-Sway, Stillen 2-pc B Brakes

Old 02-23-2004, 10:53 AM

Stiffening the front suspension will increase understeer. How does your car handle at the limit the way it is set up now? Understeer? Oversteer? Neutral?

Old 02-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Correct. BUT,.............. all the known adjustable bars carry far greater stiffness increases over oem in their rear bars. Going straight to full stiffness as the first tuning meathod is inadvisable, that is why I outlined the tested proceedure to follow. Sway bar settings should be a meathodology where one finds what suits their driving style the best. Proper testing will shake out if the settings are correct for a individual or if refinement is called for. Plus since his setup is so new to the car and to himself, it is much better to pick safer settings, test, then make adjustments if needed.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-23-2004, 06:55 PM

My Eibach sways are, of course, adjustable. The front sway bar has two adjustment levels: soft and firm. Today, the front bar is set on soft. The rear sway bar has three adjustment levels: soft, medium, and firm. Today, the rear bar is set on medium.

These settings reduced body roll *somewhat* as compared to stock trim. It's not a huge difference, but it does feel tighter.

With the mounting of new, wider tires on the rear, I noticed quite an improvement in traction. So far, I have been unable to cause understeer nor oversteer. I can't break the tires loose during even spirited cornering on the streets. (God knows I've tried!)

Of course, I am unwilling to *totally* ignore basic safety considerations to tune my suspension. The suggestion to circle ever faster in a deserted parking lot seems a better choice. But the cops would still wrinkle up their noses at the practice, I'm sure.

For me to adjust both front and rear to firm/firm would involve an incremental adjustment of one hole on both bars. I'll just make those adjustments, and then see what happens. Does that sound like a plan? I've decided to avoid paralysis through over-analysis, and JUST DO IT...

I predict the car will remain well-planted in the curves, but exhibit less body roll than before. I'll just take it easy until I know for sure. Thank y'all for your great input/feedback. I appreciate you.

I'll let y'all know what happens...

Old 02-24-2004, 11:04 AM

It sounds like you already have neutral handling, so I would suggest stiffening each bar up one level, to maintain the current balance while reducing roll a little bit.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:32 PM

Yep. I'm thinking the same thing. I hope to have the adjustments made this week. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks.