Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tpms What Where Huh?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tpms What Where Huh?

I went to the dealer today to get my TPMS fixed since the low pressure light has been on constantly. The service guy told me that my 19's (that I bought off of some guy) doesn't have this TPMS part thing on it (sensor? i dunno), that's why it's not functioning properly. He also said I could buy them from Infiniti for $190 per wheel. UHHH NO THANKS!

So I still have my 17's that I replaced the 19's with, and I just assume that the 17's have this TPMS thing still on it? How exactly do you take it off? And what does it look like? I need to get these somehow so that they can put it on the 19's.

And if 17's don't have them... then where's the best place to get a TPMS part thing for the wheels. Sorry if I'm referring to it wrong, I'm just clueless about what it is exactly.

Thanks,
Car Rookie

Old 01-13-2008, 03:05 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
take your 17s to a wheel/tire shop and have them take the sensors out. this involves deflating the tire, breaking the bead, pushing back the sidewall nearest the valve stem, and then removing the sensor. as long as they are careful it shouldn't be a big deal.

as for mounting them on your 19s, first you'll have to find out whether the profile of your wheels will accomodate the TPMS sensors. if you have the stock 19s you should be good to go. Otherwise, there's a thread on this somewhere - some people have had to secure the sensors with bands because there wasn't enough room. assuming you can install the sensors in the normal fashion, the wheel shop will have to deflate your tires, break the bead, install the sensor (may have to take the whole tire off), remount the tire if necessary, and reinflate. you should be good to go after this.

note: if they have to take the tire off the wheel they'll probably also need to rebalance them.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:02 PM
geez that sounds like a lot of work... i wish it was so much easier! now i'm gonna have to really think about if i want to go through all the trouble to get rid of that flashing light every time i start the car.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Wings Nation

its really not a lot of work. you should be in and out of the shop in less than 45 minutes as long as the sensors will fit in your rims

Old 01-13-2008, 01:59 PM
is discount tire ok to go to? i get nervous when i leave my car in the hands of others...

Old 01-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Wings Nation

don't know about discount tire, but wherever you go make sure the machine they use to mount/demount your wheels has rubber coated grips. the ones with bare metal grips can scratch your wheels.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:36 PM
thanks for all ur help! i'm gonna try and get this done now
i'm gonna review this thread over and over again, and then come prepared when i get to the shop, and tell them how to do their job so I won't get taken advantage of. girls got it tough

Old 01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, I have the same system in my Nissan Pathfinder and I asked the dealer if I needed to change out anything to keep the system in my New Wheels & Tires I purchased, off the street, and they said yea, basically you just have to take out the wireless sensor in all 4 tires....Good luck, let us know how it goes ...

ohh btw, what part of H-town you from?? jw

Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by jlinc04
Yea, I have the same system in my Nissan Pathfinder and I asked the dealer if I needed to change out anything to keep the system in my New Wheels & Tires I purchased, off the street, and they said yea, basically you just have to take out the wireless sensor in all 4 tires....Good luck, let us know how it goes ...

ohh btw, what part of H-town you from?? jw
yea i probably won't do all this until the summer when i have more time...

i'm from the north, west, and everywhere else in between.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ice-bat
yea i probably won't do all this until the summer when i have more time...

i'm from the north, west, and everywhere else in between.
Cool, well you go girl...ill have to look you up when I'm back in the big T