Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Which tires to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tires to buy?

Tires are going and need to get new ones. I have Goodyear Eagle RSA 215/55/17 93V. I see them on tirerack for $180 a piece. Any other tires for cheaper, but as good as these? I dont know really the difference, since they all just move the vehicle. Its a daily driver. I dont really care about performance, im not going to track. What else is good to get? Need all season ones, since i have winter here. Also I know I have those tire sensor stems. How do I get them on my new tires? That means i cant get any regular ol stems.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blownvert
Any other tires for cheaper, but as good as these?
I found the RS-A's to ride pretty harshly. A splendid year-round choice these days is the Bridgestone Turanza "Serenity" -- it is NOTHING like the OEM Bridgestones.

If you have one of TireRack's recommended service shops in your area, they can mount the new tires without damaging the sensors.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Dan in St Louis
I found the RS-A's to ride pretty harshly. A splendid year-round choice these days is the Bridgestone Turanza "Serenity" -- it is NOTHING like the OEM Bridgestones.

If you have one of TireRack's recommended service shops in your area, they can mount the new tires without damaging the sensors.
I dont I would have to buy online or go to town fair or somewhere and have them match the prices probably. So I would reuse the whole stem? Hmm so bridgestone is good, never really looked into that brand.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like my Yokohama Avid V4S's. Got mine from tirerack, but you should be able to find it locally. I think they are $110-120 a piece, exact stock size.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Compare the tirerack ratings. The stock RSA tires SUCK.

I also bought new tires for the stock 17" rims. I went with Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons. They are new as of last year and get great ratings on tirerack.

I bought 235/50/17 (exact same diameter as the stock 215/55/17).

Old 04-22-2008, 11:06 AM
what about Kumho Ecsta ASX? I see them on tirerack for $88 and I know a local tire store if townfair tire carries them, they will match. Seems like good ratings. I honestly dont care about performance, just want a good all around daily driver tire.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 AM
the kumho's are great. i got 'em and i have been very happy so far. a huge improvement over the stock Turanza at a very reasonable price.

the kumhos held up much better than comparable toyos or falkens at a local scca-type track event. the tire dealer i bought from had tracked numerous tires (inluding toyo, falken, and others) and recommended the kumhos above the others.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I just picked up 4 Bridestone Potenza G019 Grid a/s 215/55/17. They are great in rain. As for snow not tested yet. Will have to wait till winter to tell.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
the kumho's are great. i got 'em and i have been very happy so far. a huge improvement over the stock Turanza at a very reasonable price.

the kumhos held up much better than comparable toyos or falkens at a local scca-type track event. the tire dealer i bought from had tracked numerous tires (inluding toyo, falken, and others) and recommended the kumhos above the others.
Just because kumho's are great for autox doesn't mean they are great for the street. I made this mistake in the past with Kumho's. I actually don't like these tires at all for the street. Toyo's are horrible and depending on what falkens the dealer purchased they might not have been great either. Kumho's are cost effective which is probably why the dealer buys them. They are cheap (in price) and they have a good track rep because plenty use them because they are cheap!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Nexan N5000

I am using the NeXXAn N 5000

great all-season, not to badly priced!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
Just because kumho's are great for autox doesn't mean they are great for the street. I made this mistake in the past with Kumho's. I actually don't like these tires at all for the street. Toyo's are horrible and depending on what falkens the dealer purchased they might not have been great either. Kumho's are cost effective which is probably why the dealer buys them. They are cheap (in price) and they have a good track rep because plenty use them because they are cheap!!!
did you have the kumhos on your boosted coupe, or another vehicle? i'm not sure how they would stand up to your big power, but for my relatively stock sedan they are great especially compared to the oem tires. far superior grip in wet and dry conditions at a great price. sure there are better tires out there, but dollar for dollar the ASX is a great buy...

Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
It depends on WHICH Kumhos and what application. Kumhos make some decent track only tires.

I was running some Kumho summer tires. Impressive in the dry/rain. But in even the slightest amount of snow, they were a death wish. And this was in a FWD!

I agree that the ASX are rated well and seem to have good reviews.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When I had my stock 17's, I had a set of Michelin Energy MXV4 S8. Super good tires for wet weather handling and all-season performance, though there's some road noise and the prices aren't that all cheap compared to Kumho and Yokohama.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Not a fan of the Kumho ASX but I do like their SPT's quite a bit for summer tires.

You can't bash a brand just for one tire. Some are way better than others. Another example is the Nitto NT555, I love that tire for dry summer driving but hate it in wet driving. The Invo is great all around and their drag radials are ok. That doesn't mean all their other normal tires are good...

Old 04-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
so what do you recommend? who cares about the track in my sedan. I have a g35x, this is not a street racing car. Its a car to drive. I dont care about speed or any hp with this car. I already had my fair share. My user name explains it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which tires to buy?