Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Which tires to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
the kumho's are great. i got 'em and i have been very happy so far. a huge improvement over the stock Turanza at a very reasonable price.

the kumhos held up much better than comparable toyos or falkens at a local scca-type track event. the tire dealer i bought from had tracked numerous tires (inluding toyo, falken, and others) and recommended the kumhos above the others.
did you get them from tirerack? It seems like a nice all around tire. Not alot of road noise? Ya i wouldnt put it to the test yet with snow, since we have no more snow, but I have AWD so that will help even if supposely the tires suck in snow. I dont care about expensive awesome tires for performance and so on. Im never going to the track with this car. Its a daily driver normal driving. In my eyes when people say this is a performance car, this is no where comparable to what I had before. blown mustang.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by blownvert
so what do you recommend? who cares about the track in my sedan. I have a g35x, this is not a street racing car. Its a car to drive. I dont care about speed or any hp with this car. I already had my fair share. My user name explains it.
Your asking him after that reply?

But seriously. If you want just decent new tread on your awd, then try tirerack's website. It has great info on diff tires. Even comparisons inbetween similar tires. ie... winter, summer, all seasons etc... In the end, the research is up to you. Too many guys here rate tires good/bad when they shouldn't be.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, honestly there are a lot of tires out there that are better than the Goodyear RSAs. I'm currently running the Kuhmo Ecsta SPTs that TTrank mentioned on my G35; they are great tires so far (5 months), and at a good price. But they're more performance oriented. If you're looking for a sport/touring tire, I've also had experience with Yokohama YK520 (60K mile warranty), which is a good, quiet, inexpensive tire. They might only sell this model at Discount Tire. I've also had the Michelin Energy MXV4, which is a very good and quiet tire, but it costs a little more than the Kuhmos and the Yokos.

I'd recommed doing a little legwork and searching websites like www.tirerack.com and www.discounttire.com to read reviews on tires. Pick one thats rated well.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
i just want a all season tire that is a rubber tire

Old 04-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by GixxerSteve
OP, honestly there are a lot of tires out there that are better than the Goodyear RSAs. I'm currently running the Kuhmo Ecsta SPTs that TTrank mentioned on my G35; they are great tires so far (5 months), and at a good price. But they're more performance oriented. If you're looking for a sport/touring tire, I've also had experience with Yokohama YK520 (60K mile warranty), which is a good, quiet, inexpensive tire. They might only sell this model at Discount Tire. I've also had the Michelin Energy MXV4, which is a very good and quiet tire, but it costs a little more than the Kuhmos and the Yokos.

I'd recommed doing a little legwork and searching websites like www.tirerack.com and www.discounttire.com to read reviews on tires. Pick one thats rated well.
I don't think running the SPTs as an all season is a good idea. Dude lives in Boston

Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I happen to like Bridgestones and would probably buy Potenza G009's since I had good luck with their predecessors, RE910's. Very good in the dry, great in the rain, but sucked **** in the snow, as most A/S tires do. Your AWD will mitigate that some, but I'd still recommend proper winter tires for Beantown.

The Toyo Proxes TPT's I have for summers are perfectly acceptable in the wet and dry.

G009's are a nice-looking tire, too.

Last edited by Swivel; 04-23-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GixxerSteve
Originally Posted by Jeff92se

I don't think running the SPTs as an all season is a good idea. Dude lives in Boston
Good point. It's a good thing I recommended a few other all season tires, otherwise I'd probably feel like a jackass right now.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM
so again, what is a good all season tire? I dont want to pay much.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
See my post regarding all season tires

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...61#post2946061

Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge superior to RS-As. What the RS-A should have been.

Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds. H -speed rated.

Michelin MXV4 Primacy V-rated or H-rated

You can often find better prices at local Just Tires (Goodyear) or Discount Tire shops than TR. And they can handle warranty adjustments (which you may qualify for with your RS-As as did I. TR is excellent for hard to find sizes (and ultra-high performance) or closeouts

BTW my bro did mount Bridgestone Potenza G009s on his late BMW E36 3 series.

Excellent tire for price. If you can find in the size.

Last edited by athens; 04-26-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I talked to speedy monroe today. The guy was very nice while I got my front brakes done. He said wherever you go get the BridgeStone Turanza Serenity. He said they have 740 treadwear and 80k mile warranty. Thats alot of rubber for a tire. He also said the Kumho Ecsta are nice. I saw them on tirerack for $88 a piece.