Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

TPM Sensor from a Replacement Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPM Sensor from a Replacement Wheel

Hey Guys. I had to replace one of my OEM 18s in my 04 coupe. Since I couldnt just find one other then junkyards which wanted WAY too much money, I ended up buying a set of 4 with with tires (thanks Johnny). I ended up replacing the single wheel that was trashed (passenger-front) with the corresponding one from his new set of 4.

Here is my question. How will the TPM sensor in the new rim work with the car's system? Will it work at all? I didnt think it would since many people told me that it is matched to unique frequencies PER CAR. But after I drove it to work this morning, the indicator didnt go off like I would have expected it to.

First I thought that the system may be designed to ignore a missing tire because there may be a spare on the car. But that doesnt make a lot of sense from Infiniti's liability point of view. Why wouldnt they have it trip to remind the driver that they are on a spare. So then I am thinking maybe it is unique frequencies per tire (pass left vs pass right vs driver left vs driver right) but not unique per car.

I was going to call the dealership to see if I can get an answer but that is usually hit or miss depending on who you get.

Thanks
Ernie

Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
the TPM on the new wheel should work fine with your 3 wheels

Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 AM
You will need to go to the dealer and have the sensor in the new rim synch'd to the computer in your car. The original 3 other TPMS are already recognized by the computer and the new 4th TPMS needs to be loaded up into the computer so that it will be recognized as well.

It is a simple process where they plug in a box to the diagnostic port under the steering wheel and then they walk to the wheel with a probe on a cable that's connected to the box....this probe gets the TPMS to send a signal to synchronize it with the car's computer. You can see the signal of all 4 TPMS being recognized on the box's screen indicating that the computer is reading them....the box will indicate that it is reading them all "ok".

Once all that is done....then it will work fine with your car's computer and the other 3 TPMS.

(as far as you driving the car on the way to work and the alarm not going off, you would have had to drive more than 45-50 miles before the car's computer recognized that the one sensor wasn't working)

Last edited by Memphis; 04-25-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the response guys. Memphis, thanks for taking the time to explain. Thats what I was afraid off. I guess I will have to wait for my next date of service to have them resync it.

Interesting about the 45-50 miles. Strange that they would wait so long. I guess that is in case you have a spare on or there is a chance the thing starts working again.

Ernie