Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

stock 18's curbed and repaired DG coupe with charcoal wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock 18's curbed and repaired DG coupe with charcoal wheels

This is the entire album

3 out of 4 of my "hyper silver" wheels were curbed. Some of the spots were into the metal of the wheel. Local guy offered to repair them for $400, but I had other plans. I used dupicolor charcoal wheel paint and clear coat. Took about 3-4 hours per wheel.

This is only SOME of the curb-age

This is also after bleeding the boiled fluid at Sebring raceway without removing the wheel. The hot wheel + hot brake fluid = stained into the base coat.

Waiting on the clear coat to dry

Stripped down and ready for paint

Old 07-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Finished, other than that little peice of painter's tape.

In front of the garage

Next to the spare rear tires, last one ready to bolt on

In the garage, a bit blury, and without the grill. The grill is todays project.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
sweet!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 PM
hey i was planning to do this to mine, did you prime it at all or use clear coat as primer? also did you grind down the curb rash or just let the paint cover it up?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mitsuko
hey i was planning to do this to mine, did you prime it at all or use clear coat as primer? also did you grind down the curb rash or just let the paint cover it up?
The spots that were curbed into the metal, I just hand sanded heavily. After I got it pretty smooth, I tried to smooth the paint around the area into the area that "down to metal". After all that, I used dupicolor self-etching primer ( not really needed, but I had it laying around ) and layed it on thick over the curbed parts. The rest of the wheel, I just lightly misted the primer over.

By the time I had 2-3-4 layers of primer, 2 layers of charcoal paint, and 2 layers of clear, the parts that were curbed into the metal were completely covered.

Honestly, I was disappointed how uneven the factory "hyper silver" coating was layed on. If you look at some of the pics where they are sanded, you can see some area are really black looking, and the others still have silver on them. Its not b/c I sanded them differently, its b/c the paint/clear was REALLY thin on the outsides and bottom of the spokes. The paint was pretty thick on the center of the spokes and center of the wheel as was the clear coat. Its no wonder we have issues keeping the hyper silver nice looking. I gave up, my wheels were pretty bad, the car was owned prevously by a doctor. Good for the driveline, bad for the wheels.

Edit: I did use some epoxy on one of the wheels. I just covered the curb-age over with the epxoy, then sanded it level. It took some long, I didn't have the time to take any pics ( I don't think ).

Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM
awesome thanks, look great btw

Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 AM
Holy cow !! That grill was a major PITA due to me being stupid and not reading the directions on the primer. I used the "self-etching primer" again, and it started bubbling up on the grill in some spots ( despite me sanding the entire thing down by hand with 240, then 300 grit sand paper ). So I read the back and its basiclly only for metal . So I spent many hours correcting the "bad spots" on the grill that I caused. Then after that, the brake cleaner that I was using some how made the primer look odd. Then after that, I figured the odd looking "waves" would be covered by the top coat ( they just looked wavey, they didn't feel any different at all ). Well, it didn't. I covered the "black trim paint" with flat black paint, which STILL didn't cover the odd wave effect. So I sanded the entire thing by hand AGAIN with 400grit sand paper. Then painted it AGAIN with the dupicolor black trim paint, and it turned out looking pretty nice. I should have some pics tommorrow of the finished deal.
Head lights are next.... Damn... I need more paint.