Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Replacing the tires only shouldn't cause the TPMS system to fault. Is the light blinking or solid?

If it's solid...did you try adjusting the air pressure to proper pressure? You might be low.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Replacing the tires only shouldn't cause the TPMS system to fault. Is the light blinking or solid?

If it's solid...did you try adjusting the air pressure to proper pressure? You might be low.
All new tires were installed by Pep Boys with factory exact sizes.The TPMS light comes on blinking for one-minute, then stays on solid. The manual says the system must be reset, but
why? Pep Boys said the battery/s could be bad and they will replace them, but why didn't they do that in the first place. They say the reset is lengthy over an hour. But it appears they will do this at no charge.

Care has 50K mikes and original owner. First time for tire change. I would think the batteries would be ok. Pep Boys said they have the correct tools so let's wee what occurs. I'm willing to pay if the charge is warranted, but when you simply buy new tires the TPMS should not malfunction.It worked perfectly before (I know I had a low tire and this led me to purchase new rubber).

Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Most tire places can do the reset not. Last time I got a tire patched, they reset my light for me since they noticed it was ON (my TPMS monitors died a long time ago. I'm waiting for the next tire change to replace them) they reset the light for me even though I didn't ask. 10 miles later of course, it came back on like I knew it would.

WHY it came on is stored in the computer. You can attempt the procedure outlined in this thread to "read the code" and try and understand why the light came on, or you can let them reset it if they are doing it for free. If it doesn't work, the light comes back on and then you can try to read the code then.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by youraway
All new tires were installed by Pep Boys with factory exact sizes..
First mistake!

Did you ever price the same tires at the dealer?

Pep Boys said the battery/s could be bad and they will replace them, but why didn't they do that in the first place. .
Because they are incompetent!

They say the reset is lengthy over an hour. But it appears they will do this at no charge.
No its not if you have the proper tools and know what you are doing

A Pep Boys said they have the correct tools so let's wee what occurs. I'm willing to pay if the charge is warranted, but when you simply buy new tires the TPMS should not malfunction.It worked perfectly before (I know I had a low tire and this led me to purchase new rubber).
Pep Boys does not have the correct tools

Each TPMS sensor must be correctly programmed for each wheel in a particular order.
Read the proper procedure in the FSM for your vehicle.

I'm on my second Infiniti and have been a Infiniti owner for 10 years with over 236k miles
driven between the two vehicles thus far.
Whenever I needed tires on both vehicles I always checked tire prices with my local Infiniti dealer parts department. Their prices were only slightly higher than local independent shops so I've purchased all my tires at the dealer.
I've never had a problem with TPMS sensors.
Keep in mind that the batteries in TPMS sensors are designed to last 3 to 4 years at which time the sensor needs to be replaced. Those that lease vehicles may never have a problem but the second and third owners most likely will.
If after purchasing tires at the dealer they cannot legally allow a vehicle to leave with the TPMS light on and will not charge to program the TPMS sensors. If they discover there is a bad one you will be charged for the sensor but not any extra labor when purchasing new tires. You can also request that every sensor be tested prior to the tire replacement and you be notified and shown the test results.

It is of my opinion that Pep Boys is on the same list as Jiffy Lube.

Buy cheap
Buy twice with lots of hassle at perhaps no extra charge maybe?

Telcoman

Old 12-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Thanks for this very good information, it really helps. Monday I have the car scheduled to evaluate why my front right passenger side fender and hood gets very hot after driving 20+ miles. So hot you don't want to keep your hand on them. I watched and the fans do come on, so we'll see and that's another topic.

Tuesday the car goes back to Pep Boy's. I'll explain the details to them again, but so far their attitude has been to fix the problem. I did note on the bill for the tires hey replaced the sensor value stem seals on two wheels. I suspect the reversed either the sensors or the wheels, since the sensors were working correctly before replacing the tires.

Yes I should have checked with a dealer, but we don't have one with 100 miles. With my Acura I always have it serviced at the dealer, more expensive and time consuming, but good work and warranted.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Pep Boys does not have the correct tools

They do now. In fact, more and more 3rd party tire installers are getting the correct tools to address TPMS systems. That included install and reprogram.

Now, knowing how to use them is a different story.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:04 PM
I did note on the bill for the tires hey replaced the sensor value stem seals on two wheels. I suspect the reversed either the sensors or the wheels, since the sensors were working correctly before replacing the tires.
This is not your problem. If what you said was true, you would not be able to rotate tires without reprogramming sensors.

The following users liked this post:
youraway (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
If after purchasing tires at the dealer they cannot legally allow a vehicle to leave with the TPMS light on and will not charge to program the TPMS sensors. If they discover there is a bad one you will be charged for the sensor but not any extra labor when purchasing new tires.
That's not entirely correct and if the dealer is telling you that then they are not being truthful.

It's part of the "make operative" directive of the NHTSA's motor vehicle safety act. Basically the dealer is not allowed to make a system not work. That means they cannot disable airbags, or turn of TPMS systems if a vehicle arrives with a fully functional system. Where this would apply is if someone bought a new set of wheels and tires from a dealer, but didn't want to buy 4 new TPMS sensors. The dealer cannot accept a carwith a functioning TPMS system and send it out the door with it not working. In this case, they have to refuse the service, or insist on 4 new TPMS sensors being installed.

If the car shows up with the TPMS system in fault and not working, they they are not in violation since the car arrived and left with a system not working. If the customer wanted, they could remove the bad TPMS sensors and install rubber valve stems and this would be fine.

The rule is more for persons installing aftermarket wheels on their car. But if you went to the dealer with the TPMS system not working, they cannot force you to fix it. They are just mandated to note the system was inoperable when you arrived.

http://www.tirereview.com/nhtsa-clar...-of-tpms-regs/

youraway (12-07-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Thank you for explaining that ^

Replacements are only $23 for Oem sensors on eBay people... Buy them and have that piece of mind that you get a heads up when you lose pressure quickly!

youraway (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Replacements are only $23 for Oem sensors on eBay people... Buy them and have that piece of mind that you get a heads up when you lose pressure quickly!
Mine have long since died. I figure next time i'm due for tires (if I keep the car that long) i'll replace them then.

Until then....I'll stick to the old fashioned method of a tire pressure gauge.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Can't check pressures at 65mph...

Old 12-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Can't check pressures at 65mph...
Can't argue with that point.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

I had a tire go out on my honda at that speed so they are on all of my cars now :/.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Pep Boys serviced the vehicle today and found the following. The wheel rims were not replaced back in the same position. The correct tire sizes were installed for the front and back but the wheels themselves (same wheel rim sizes for all four positions) were reversed between the front and back. They checked all sensors and reset the system. They found the TPMS sensor for the left rear to have a weak battery. This is the wheel that came off the right front which is where we has a flat before replacing the tires. I checked the tire sizes and they are correct for the front and back. I have not been able to confirm the wheel rim sizes are all the same, but with different tire sizes.

So it appears I have a weak sensor on the LR that will be replaced in the future. Pep Boys wanted way too much $$$ to replace one TPMS monitor.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Replace them all when 1 goes bad... My advice as I tried the whole satellite replacement thing and then all the other batteries died .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools