G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tires-25/)
-   -   tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools (https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tires/257418-tpms-re-learning-pressure-sensor-id-no-special-tools.html)

SiouxFallsG35 11-27-2008 08:44 PM

tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools

Just came across this Potential gem in the G35 Canada area courtesy of zx10r_646:

Like most of you I have summer and winter wheels , each with tire pressure sensors. I have been searching for a DIY so I do not have to take my vehicle to the dealer every time I swap my wheels to register the tpms wheel sensors.

I have finally found a way to reset the tpms and register the pressure sensor IDs without any special tools (with the help of OBD3 Solutions and their BLOG - http://blog.obd3solutions.com/en/?p=20).

OBD3 found a way to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with a piece of wire and then register the tpms wheel sensor IDs using a wheel sensor activation tool. So if you have a tool to activate the wheel pressure sensors, you are all set to re-calibrate your wheels sensors yourself.

But if you are like me and do not want to spend $300-$500 to purchase a wheel sensor activation tool such as the KTI pst (www.ktipst.com), the service manual describes a method of registering the wheel sensor IDs without the use of an activation tool. All you have to do is alter the pressure in each tire, put the tpms into learning mode and drive the vehicle until all of the wheel pressure sensors are registered.

So last night I experimented to see if I could use 1) the ODB3 method to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with 2) the method described in the service manual to activate the wheel sensors without an activation tool.

It worked... after a little experimenting. The steps I used to register my winter wheel sensors were:

1) set different tire pressures in each wheel: RF to 34psi, LF to 31psi, LR to 28 psi and RR to 26psi;
2) start engine;
3) perform the OBD3 procedure to reset and put the tpms into learning mode - tpms warning light should be blinking;
4) drive vehicle around at speeds greater than 40kph until the tpms warning light stops blinking and turns off. Note a short time later, the tpms warning light should go on and stay on (since one or more of your wheels will be lower that 28psi);
5) disconnect the wire from the connector; and
6) reinflate the tire pressure to spec. and drive around until the tpms warning light turns off.

Larry
With all the millions of TPMS threads that we've had over the years, I'm in shock that these guys at odb3solutions.com have figured it out. Many thanks to Larry for bringing this to the forum and I'm sure you can agree that the US folks should be seeing this as well.

My personal take? I'll continue looking at the warning light over the winter. Too many hoops to jump through 2 times a year, not to mention some minimal risk of electrical damage. Am I still impressed though - absolutely.

Original thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...er-wheels.html

zx10r_646 11-28-2008 06:57 AM

SiouxFalls,

Thanks... regarding the minimal risk of electrical damage, the pin that is grounded is the "Tire Pressure Warning Check Switch".

According to the service manual..."When the low tire pressure warning system detects low inflation pressure or another unusual symptom, the warning lamps in the combination meter comes on. To start the self-diagnostic results mode, ground terminal of the tire pressure warning check switch. The malfunction location is indicated by the warning lamp flashing and the buzzer sounds."

Normally this pin is held at 5V. I suspect the pin is an input to a microcontroller and is held at 5V through a pull-up and the sequence of 5-6 5V/grounding pulses puts the tpms into learning mode.

For those that are concerned about damaging this pin, OTC sells a tpms reset tool for nissan.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...p-OTC0203.html

Larry

Mustang5L5 11-28-2008 09:01 PM

Good info. I need to do this myself. Has anyone else done this yet with sucess?

Texasscout 11-28-2008 09:16 PM

Has anyone used the "tool"?

Mustang5L5 11-28-2008 10:53 PM

For $22 i bought one...but i'd like to see a few more people try it before I do.

Texasscout 11-29-2008 12:05 AM

Yeah, price is right at least. May pick one up myself. However, mine haven't given me any trouble since I had them put on my new wheels.

Mustang5L5 12-03-2008 07:14 PM

Well, got the tool. WHo knows when i'll give it a shot

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust 11-09-2009 04:25 PM

i just put winter wheels (oem coupe 17s) on and the tpms light is still off, I guess i need to do this to get it to work right?

eurodre 11-09-2009 10:45 PM

i put different tires (stretched) and different wheels i just transfered the tpms from my stockies and it relearned by itself, when i had a nail in the tire and the tire was almost flat it noticed it right away

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust 11-09-2009 11:54 PM

yeah but im using tpms from a different car

HenryLee 11-09-2009 11:56 PM

Does this work?

SiouxFallsG35 11-10-2009 09:31 PM

00gts6speed - after your first long trip (20 miles?) your TPMS warning light will come on and stay on until you put your wheels back on that have the programmed set for your car.

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust 11-10-2009 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35 (Post 4693274)
00gts6speed - after your first long trip (20 miles?) your TPMS warning light will come on and stay on until you put your wheels back on that have the programmed set for your car.

actually it took 100ish miles..lol

EVLG35X 11-17-2009 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35 (Post 3668474)
Just came across this ....

I have finally found a way to reset the tpms and register the pressure sensor IDs without any special tools (with the help of OBD3 Solutions and their BLOG - http://blog.obd3solutions.com/en/?p=20).

OBD3 found a way to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with a piece of wire and then register the tpms wheel sensor IDs using a wheel sensor activation tool.

So last night I experimented to see if I could use 1) the ODB3 method to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with 2) the method described in the service manual to activate the wheel sensors without an activation tool.

It worked... after a little experimenting. The steps I used to register my winter wheel sensors were:

1) set different tire pressures in each wheel: RF to 34psi, LF to 31psi, LR to 28 psi and RR to 26psi;
2) start engine;
3) perform the OBD3 procedure to reset and put the tpms into learning mode - tpms warning light should be blinking;
4) drive vehicle around at speeds greater than 40kph until the tpms warning light stops blinking and turns off. Note a short time later, the tpms warning light should go on and stay on (since one or more of your wheels will be lower that 28psi);
5) disconnect the wire from the connector; and
6) reinflate the tire pressure to spec. and drive around until the tpms warning light turns off.

Larry

I wish the link to the OBD3 procedure still worked....

or that someone could post the actual procedure here....

My TPMS idiot light comes and goes on and off all the time, and is really annoying. Maybe this thread could save me a lot of head ache. That would be very cool.

zx10r_646 11-17-2009 07:01 PM

Found another link to the reset procedure.

http://www.autoatlantic.com/june08/j...s_sensors.html

EVLG35X 11-18-2009 07:52 AM

Thanks....

I quote from said link...

Start by checking if the vehicle is equipped with a TPMS connector (1 wire connection / white connector) linked to the OBDII electric wiring underneath the dashboard (figure 1, left - note that the following example applies to a 2006 MURANO).

Procedure:

1. Use a jumper to link the TPMS connector to ground (figure 2).
2. KOEO
3. Momentarily disconnect and plug back in the TPMS connector (5 to 6 times)
4. The TMPS warning light will blink when the system starts initiating.
5. Start the reset procedure with the left-front tire, then the right-front tire, then the right-rear tire, and end with the left-rear tire
6. Once the system has completed the reset procedure, the TPMS warning light on the dashboard will automatically stop flashing
I still wonder what KOEO stands for ?

And the way I read this, is that the grounding wire is momentarily disconnected.... I reiterate.

1. Use a jumper to link the TPMS connector to ground (figure 2).
2. KOEO
3. Momentarily disconnect and plug back in the TPMS connector (5 to 6 times)
That would mean that it is constantly grounded just prior to, and during the procedure. True or False ???

I have access to a TPS wake up tool... so that's not the problem, but I just want to make sure I understand this correctly, so that I don't accidentally fry any electrical components. I believe I read somewhere above, there's only 5V, but still, that's enough to burn up some smaller circuitry if it's under a constant load.

Glex25 11-18-2009 09:27 AM

KOEO = Key On Engine Off

I have access to a Consult II
but for those that don't this is a great way

http://www.auto-tool-shop.com/images...ernet-6538.jpg

http://www.auto-tool-shop.com/launch...rnet-p-40.html

zx10r_646 11-19-2009 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by EVLG35X (Post 4704813)
That would mean that it is constantly grounded just prior to, and during the procedure. True or False ???

Yes, you are correct. Keep the connector grounded until you finish the procedure.

Larry

accordfreak 01-10-2010 02:52 AM

great thread! thanks

itgogitrev 02-06-2010 05:26 PM

Pretty sure I can figure this out, but is there a video showing how this is done?

DoubleACL 02-21-2010 09:00 AM

Two Questions:
1. Where is the best place to ground the TPMS connector?
2. (from step 5) "Start the reset procedure with the left-front tire, then the right-front tire, then the right-rear tire, and end with the left-rear tire" -- What is the Reset Procedure?
Thanks!

gergdees 03-17-2010 08:39 PM

The OTC site simply states this as the procedure:

"Tire Pressure Reset Tool for Nissan
This tool is designed to extinguish the Tire Pressure Warning Light on 2003 and newer Nissan vehicles with TPM Reset Connector. The connector end of the cable mates to the vehicle connector found behind the DLC connector under the dash. The alligator clip is clipped onto the metal bracket that holds the DLC connector. Once connected and the ignition is turned on, the tool trigger is pressed 5 times within 10 seconds causing the warning light to start flashing. With the tool disconnected, the vehicle can be started and driven over 30 mph until the light stops flashing, which completes the procedure. "

ITSAGTHING 03-29-2010 07:30 PM

Ok, so I recently had to purchase a used TPMS because I broke a valve stem. The tire pressure light went off for a few days but this weekend the light came back on. Do i need to re learn the tpms's? Can anyone put the steps into detail so anyone can do it?

ITSAGTHING 03-31-2010 02:46 PM

Where is the TPMS connector? Can someone find a picture on a G35?

Jamaica2G 08-29-2010 10:33 PM

update?

stealth94rt 11-04-2010 01:26 PM

TMPS goodies

The manual method (explained at the top of this thread) look like a good procedure, although I have not tried it myself.

I just purchase a used set of stock G35 rims for my winter tires. They came off a 2003, so they don't have TPMS sensors. I checked with my tire shop and they said "there is no federal law that prohibits you from removing the TPMS sensors" He said this is different then the laws that apply to air bags, safety restraints, etc., which prohibit you from tampering with those systems. He said the worst thing that can happen by not having the TPMS sensors is the annoying light on the dashboard. Since I'm just running w/o the TPMS sensors for the winter months, I might be able to handle that.

That said, I decided to do some searching for lower-cost TPMS sensors, and a home mecahnic's reset tool. Here is what I found, in case anyone else is interested:

**DISCLAIMER - I have not tried any of these product, and I am not endorsing any of these products. The info/links are provided for your information.**

Orange TPMS Sensors (~ $35 each at Amazon):

TPMS Reset tool (for putting the TPMS into learn mode; ~ $22 at Amazon):

TPMS troubleshooting/initialization tools (to activate each sensor after you put the system into learning mode):
ATEQ VT-10 (from RevolutionSupplyCompany.com for $125):
http://revolutionsupply.com/VT10.aspx
K-Tool KTI71990 TIPS Tool TPMS (from eBay for ~$75):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=#vi-content

majikstic 04-13-2011 11:34 PM

Thanks OP x100 !!
Worked like a charm! I was previously following other instructions and not starting the engine prior to entering into learning mode which was key !!! Your instructions helped me hugely!

2006mt 08-13-2012 03:52 PM

Hey guys, Sorry to bring a dead thread back but I need some help. I recently installed some new wheels on my 2006 G sedan. I used some iforged tpms brackets to mount the sensors in the wheels. I have no issues getting the car in learning mode, after driving 10 minutes the light goes solid and stays on, even after filling the tires back up to the recommended levels. any ideas on what the issue could be?

Mustang5L5 08-20-2013 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by ITSAGTHING (Post 4994403)
Where is the TPMS connector? Can someone find a picture on a G35?

The first time you use the connector, you have to dig it out of the OBD2 harness.

Remove the lower dash panel. Simply remove the 1 screw by the hood pop lever and then pull down on the trim panel from the steering column. When the panel comes down, look at the OBD2 connector and harness. You'll see a single white plug taped into the harness. Cut it out of the tape, tuck it down so you can reach it and put the panel back.

The tool linked earlier in the thread works great, but if you don't want to spend $21 for the convienence, a paper clip stuck into the back of the connector works good too.

Set your tire pressures to what is shown on page 17 of the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda...5_Sedan/wt.pdf

Front − Left 34 PSI
Front − Right 31 PSI
Rear − Right 29 PSI
Rear − Left 26 PSI
Turn the car ignition to ON but do not start the car. Within 10 seconds, ground the test connector 6-7 times. This is done by pulling the trigger on the tool, or grounding the paper clip. There is a good ground point on the firewall to touch the connector too or ground the tool to. The TPMS light will begin to flash if you do it correctly. Start the car and confirm the TPMS light continues to flash beyond 60 seconds. The TPMS is in learning mode now. No drive around at 25MPH for 10-15 minutes to register the sensors.

If it works correctly, the light should go off. It shoud then come back on due to one of the tires being very low. Top the tires off and the light should go off for good.

If the buzzer sounds, and the light stays solid, something is wrong. Try the procedure again

Code Reading

To run though the codes, ground the TPMS connector to a ground point and keep it constant. After a few seconds, the TPMS light will Go solid. It will then go off and then begin to blink the codes. A long pulse is the first digit, short pulses are the second digit. So 2 long pulses and 2 short pulses would be code 22. When the codes are complete, the light will stay solid again, and then begin to display the codes again.

Chart of codes on page 23

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda...5_Sedan/wt.pdf

Code
15 Front-left tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2 , * psi) or less.
16 Front-right tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2 , * psi) or less.
17 Rear-right tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2 , * psi) or less.
18 Rear-left tire pressure drops to * kPa (* kg/cm2 , * psi) or less.
21 Transmitter no data (front - left)
22 Transmitter no data (front - right)
23 Transmitter no data (rear - right)
24 Transmitter no data (rear - left)
31 Transmitter checksum error (front - left)
32 Transmitter checksum error (front - right)
33 Transmitter checksum error (rear - right)
34 Transmitter checksum error (rear - left)
35 Transmitter pressure data error (front - left)
36 Transmitter pressure data error (front - right)
37 Transmitter pressure data error (rear - right)
38 Transmitter pressure data error (rear - left)
41 Transmitter function code error (front - left)
42 Transmitter function code error (front - right)
43 Transmitter function code error (rear - right)
44 Transmitter function code error (rear - left)
45 Transmitter battery voltage low (front - left)
46 Transmitter battery voltage low (front - right)
47 Transmitter battery voltage low (rear - right)
48 Transmitter battery voltage low (rear - left)
52 Vehicle speed signal WT-29
To erase the codes, turn the ignition off while the codes are still flashing with the pin still grounded.

This is all from trial and error and searching the net for a while to try and understand the TPMS system. With our cars approaching 7+ years old, the TPMS sensors are near the end of their life. With the codes feature, we can at least identify the dead sensor, replace it, and reregister on our own. Good luck

Urbanengineer 03-23-2014 02:25 PM

After many botched attempts with other guides Mustangs post is as clear as this NEEDS to be. Follow this one to reset your TPMS each season.

Mustang5L5 03-24-2014 08:37 AM

Glad it helped. This TPMS sensor is so primitive, that unfortunately, short of a dealer visit, this is the only method that works.

kswan53 03-24-2014 09:00 PM

Anyone have a source for replacement sensors other than Infiniti? I tried the Amazon link for Orange Electronics but they are out of stock and no indication if they will ever be available.

Shawno72 03-24-2014 09:17 PM

Great info. Thanks

Urbanengineer 03-24-2014 11:36 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251473704730...84.m1423.l2649

If you do not mind replacing them every 2-3 years these are $10 used... Free Shipping (WOW)

New is around 50$ at your local discount tire, or ... w/ full rebuild kit $54

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Infiniti...f72092&vxp=mtr

Mustang5L5 03-25-2014 07:58 AM

I second Ebay

A new one is around $50. You have to use the exact part number though. I believe it's "40700 CD001 " and are the blue sensors. Haven't confirmed if any other Nissan sensors will register with the system.

From what I see, that sensor registers with 2003-2006 G35 models, 2003-
2008 FX models and 2006 M models

Urbanengineer 03-25-2014 08:36 AM

40700 CD001 and 40700 CD000 work. None of the others are said to be compatible.

Urbanengineer 03-25-2014 04:01 PM

Hey... So your Infiniti/Nissan dealer will Check TPMS codes for free :).

But they want $160 to install one :(. Get them to scan it and then say I want a loaner... So another day (never go back) you get them done at a tire shop :).

wompem 03-25-2014 09:55 PM

What's the difference in the two part numbers?

Urbanengineer 03-25-2014 10:09 PM

Old v new. It's like revised compression rods to old ones...

MidnightG35X 03-26-2014 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 6885575)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251473704730...84.m1423.l2649

If you do not mind replacing them every 2-3 years these are $10 used... Free Shipping (WOW)

New is around 50$ at your local discount tire, or ... w/ full rebuild kit $54

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Infiniti...f72092&vxp=mtr

Have you used the used ones before? Is that the lifetime you actually got out of them? For $10 that is a great deal if you can actually get any sort of life out of them.

Mustang5L5 03-26-2014 08:41 AM

So i actually did some code-reading last night. I figure I'd make a video of it while I did it. I'll have to post it up at some point, along with a screen shot of the codes.

But reading the codes took all of 5 mins and gave me some useful info.

I got Codes 18, 45 and 47.

Code 18 is rear-left tire pressure is too low
Code 45 is transmitter battery voltage low front-left
Code 47 is transmitter battery voltage low rear-right

The code 18 was prob because it was 0 degrees out the day the TPMS light came on with an error. But it also appears as if two of my sensors are getting near the end of their life.

So this tells me I have 2 sensors that I need to replace. I may try and do the reset for now, just to see if I can get any life from them. Would buy me some time until the summer when it's warmer out.

I'll get a vid up in the next couple days. Code reading, and resetting the light is pretty easy if you can get around the primitive method to do it. I think seeing it done in person might get a few guys more comfortable with troubleshooting the TPMS system

Mustang5L5 03-26-2014 01:48 PM

Anyway, here's a vid on Code reading for the TPMS system.

I'll do one on the re-initializing steps when I actually do it.

Urbanengineer 03-26-2014 07:25 PM

Epic Thanks!

My recent issue is that it just comes on staring at me orange, no blinking at all... :(

Mustang5L5 03-26-2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 6886267)
Epic Thanks!

My recent issue is that it just comes on staring at me orange, no blinking at all... :(

After performing the reset procedure? Assuming you've aired up the tires, and the light still on and solid it's a malfunction indication with the reset procedure.

Basically the registration didn't happen.

It's on page 26 of the FSM I've posted a few links too.

Adjust the air pressure again and try to reset it again.

I actually did this tonight. I did not adjust my pressures or change my failing sensors, and tried the reset for the sake of practice to make a video. At the end of the procedure, a long buzzing sounded out, and now the light is permanently solid, but my pressures are ok.

I also notice you cannot run the codes any more.

So next warm day I'll adjust and try again.

When I did this the first time, it took a few tries to get it to work. Depending on the battery power in my sensors, this may not work for me until I replace them.

Urbanengineer 03-26-2014 11:50 PM

This is my exact issue. I ran the reset procedure and then it worked fine for 2 days (50 miles) and then 60 seconds of flash. On next cold startup just straight tpms light no codes check holding the button down like usual check :/. Time to unplug the battery :).

Mustang5L5 03-27-2014 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 6886315)
This is my exact issue. I ran the reset procedure and then it worked fine for 2 days (50 miles) and then 60 seconds of flash. On next cold startup just straight tpms light no codes check holding the button down like usual check :/. Time to unplug the battery :).

I notice that too. If you run the reset procedure, and it doesn't take...you can no longer run the codes anymore.

Also, the codes generated are ONLY at the time of the failure. In other words, if the R-rear sensor does and the TPMS light comes on, and then you go rotate your tires, the code will not follow the dead sensor. It will display the code received when the system got an error.

I just realized I got new tires after my TPMS light came on, so i have no idea where the 2 dead sensors actually are now.

This system can be a PITA at times. :mad:

I wish Consult-2's were cheaper

Urbanengineer 03-27-2014 03:21 PM

Okay new surprise... I got "5 new cd001" sensors from Nissan and on the bag it says CD001, on the sticker it says CD001, but on the unit it says "CD011" !?!?!?

Picture to come soon but I hope these work with my unit :)

Also, just bought a chrome grille for $40 :).

Mustang5L5 03-27-2014 04:05 PM

Google searching says M45 sensors.

No idea if they are compatible or not. I'd prob call a dealership first and ask if they would work before putting them in the wheels.

Urbanengineer 03-27-2014 09:32 PM

Yeah good point :(. My local dealership just said they have no clue.

wompem 03-30-2014 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by stealth94rt (Post 5460627)
The manual method (explained at the top of this thread) look like a good procedure, although I have not tried it myself.

I just purchase a used set of stock G35 rims for my winter tires. They came off a 2003, so they don't have TPMS sensors. I checked with my tire shop and they said "there is no federal law that prohibits you from removing the TPMS sensors" He said this is different then the laws that apply to air bags, safety restraints, etc., which prohibit you from tampering with those systems. He said the worst thing that can happen by not having the TPMS sensors is the annoying light on the dashboard. Since I'm just running w/o the TPMS sensors for the winter months, I might be able to handle that.

That said, I decided to do some searching for lower-cost TPMS sensors, and a home mecahnic's reset tool. Here is what I found, in case anyone else is interested:

**DISCLAIMER - I have not tried any of these product, and I am not endorsing any of these products. The info/links are provided for your information.**

Orange TPMS Sensors (~ $35 each at Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

TPMS Reset tool (for putting the TPMS into learn mode; ~ $22 at Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Tools-OTC3.../dp/B002YKHGPQ

TPMS troubleshooting/initialization tools (to activate each sensor after you put the system into learning mode):
ATEQ VT-10 (from RevolutionSupplyCompany.com for $125):
http://revolutionsupply.com/VT10.aspx
K-Tool KTI71990 TIPS Tool TPMS (from eBay for ~$75):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=#vi-content

I bought the KTI71990 off ebay. I didn't want to do the pressure diff/drive/refill tires. Thing.

I rigged a push switch to a lead with an alligator clip for a reset tool. I was able to read the codes and then put the system into learning mode. Then activate all the tires in order. My light went out!

The longest part was fishing out the tpms connector. I tucked it where it is easier to get to next time.

Thanks for the good info on the thread!