Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Winterforce Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Winterforce Tires

I bought a set of these during the snow storms that came through the Midwest and basically crippled my G35.

I have to say that if you need a set of snow tires and kinda need them on the cheap, look into these. I went from a set of bald (seriously, no tread at all on in the middle) Avons, which wouldn't move on frost to tires that I can start and stop with in 5" of snow.

My only gripes are that the tread squrim is higher than most tires and you can hear the tires a bit when accelerating. But it's only when the windows are down and it's a biting noise, like it's really digging into the tarmac. Kinda cool once you get used to it.

I got the tires, shipped and installed for just under $400. I'd pick up a set as Firestone just bought out the Winterforce brand, so the price will slowly creep up soon.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
I bought a set of these during the snow storms that came through the Midwest and basically crippled my G35.

I have to say that if you need a set of snow tires and kinda need them on the cheap, look into these. I went from a set of bald (seriously, no tread at all on in the middle) Avons, which wouldn't move on frost to tires that I can start and stop with in 5" of snow.

My only gripes are that the tread squrim is higher than most tires and you can hear the tires a bit when accelerating. But it's only when the windows are down and it's a biting noise, like it's really digging into the tarmac. Kinda cool once you get used to it.

I got the tires, shipped and installed for just under $400. I'd pick up a set as Firestone just bought out the Winterforce brand, so the price will slowly creep up soon.
Curious to know how your tires held up? Anyone else run these Firestones. They are 84 a piece which is cheap @ tirerack. How about the Blizzaks vs the Firestones?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:31 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Not a bad tire to get you through a winter. Better than an a/s but sort of a starter winter tire. Would work well as a lesser expensive winter option. Call me if interested.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm also looking for a less expensive set of winter tires this year. Ready to buy used set of Hankook Ipike W409 for $200 total from local craigslist. Haven't heard much about these, but from reviews I've read they look pretty good to me.

Had 17'' Dunlop Sport M3s on my 04/06 G35 coupe and they were amazing. Best traction I've had on non-AWD vehicle. Easily passed up SUVs and AWD cars on the freeway all day, with confidence too.

Couldn't fit the those over the brakes on my G37S, so I had to buy 19'' setup with Blizzak LM-22, and it was not even close. They were just OK in the snow, but no confidence whatsoever. Where I would drive 45mph on the Dunlops, I would be down to 30mph on the Blizzaks. I'm sure the 19'' vs 17'' wheel size made a difference, but even in dry conditions the Blizzaks felt more "floaty".

Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by neal@tirerack
Not a bad tire to get you through a winter. Better than an a/s but sort of a starter winter tire. Would work well as a lesser expensive winter option. Call me if interested.
So should I stay away from them? I don't want to have my heart drop especially after investing cash on winter tires. If I am going to spend any money I want them to get me through the winter.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:27 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I wouldn't say they are junk, just better out there if you're willing to spend some more. The Blizzak or Michelin XI2 would be much nicer tires to have for a few dollars more.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Curious to know how your tires held up? Anyone else run these Firestones. They are 84 a piece which is cheap @ tirerack. How about the Blizzaks vs the Firestones?
Forgot about this post...

I ended up running these tires all year because of complications with my summer wheels. I had the car up in the air a few days ago for an oil change and the tires are holding up well. No snow yet, so I'm not sure what they're like now. But the tread has held up well and looks like it's ready for another season or two.

Tires have about 90% tread from when I bought them and I rotate them every other oil change (6000-6500 miles).

My only complaints are things that are going to be on every winter tire, little bit of noise and a VERY noticeable drop in steering response. They aren't terribly brilliant in the wet either. For our winters, I can't justify spending the extra $240 for the Michelins or nearly $250 for the Blizzaks. A 'few dollars more' adds up really quickly.

A friend of mine has the Blizzaks on his IS300 and I can tell the difference between the Winterforce and the Blizzaks, not gonna lie. But $250 worth? Not in my eyes.