Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

03 Sedan 6MT on 350z Suspension: Alignment Data

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 Sedan 6MT on 350z Suspension: Alignment Data

Finally had my car aligned following the Z suspension setup.

Initial results were:
Front Camber: 1 degree neg. left; 1.125 degree right
Front Toe: 6 mm
Front Caster: checked and in factory spec (nothing you can do about it anyway without a arms and stuff

Rear Camber: 2.25 degrees negative
Rear Toe: 0 mm

I left the front camber alone, as there is no adjustment without a camber plate. I will bring the right wheel to -1.0 degree when I get a chance.
Front toe was adjusted to 1 mm

Rear Camber: I had both set to 2 degrees
Rear Toe, I left alone

Factory Minimums:
Front Camber: 0.5 degree negative
Front Toe 0mm

Rear Camber: 1.05 degree negative
Rear Toe: 0mm

Recommendations:
Buy a camber kit (1 degree adjustable should be fine) for the fronts. We played around with the rear camber adjustment and you CAN get it into factory spec if you want to with the factory cam bolts.

I will let you know how my zero toe settings affect rear tire wear, (I should wear noticeably faster but have more grip off the line to make up for the increased negative camber.)

Any of you Arizonans familiar with the salt river canyon; I can do 85 plus around the 30 mph curves in the rain with this setup. My tires are F1 GS-D3's 225.55.17.

The alignment rack was all analog w/ laser sights and very accurate with this particular tech. Air pressures were at 48 psi all the way around, full tank of gas, spare and tools in place. My camber should be around 1.5 degrees negative on race day.

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, HyperGround Kit, Magnaflow resonator.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: 03 Sedan 6MT on 350z Suspension: Alignment Data

How did you dial in so much rear camber? The most I could dial in with the oem adjustment system was -1.3. I have Kinetix rear arms, but chose not to use them.

My latest settings are

FRONT:
Toe in .04" (total toe in)
Camber -1.1/-1.4
Caster 7.6/8.2 (not adjustable of course)

REAR:
Toe in .06 (total toe in)
Camber -1.3/-1.3
Thrust 0

The pervious settings that made the "at the limit handling" unpredictable (I never should have bothered with the alignment in the first place car was 100% perfect behavior wise).

FRONT:
Toe 0
Camber -1.1/-1.4

REAR:
Positive Toe .2 (combined)
Camber -1.1/-1.1

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 07-07-2004, 09:50 AM

Don't know. I had played with my settings before and was at about 0.75 degree negative camber on the rears before i dropped it.

did you use both the z springs and shocks? I did

also, I noticed it is real easy to put the rear springs in upside down. I did this at first and got quite a bit of porpoising on the road. I flipped my rear springs over and the porpoising is gone, the ride is damn near stock and the camber is more negative (car sits lower with less "push" up.

Check em out.

Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, '03 "Z" Suspension, Magnaflow resonator, 6 Wire 4 Guage Grounding Kit

Old 07-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I've gone back to the 2003 350Z suspension after testing the oem sport shocks with the Z spirngs.

How'd you manage to get the springs upside down (scratches head)? The lower spring seats are designed so the spring pigtail fits into them and the other end is coiled nearly flat for the upper mounts. Spring orientation would not effect how the spring behaves. The 2003 Z shocks do offer a lot better control then the oem sport shock's, but they suffer from the same bad habits as they do for Z owners. Ride quality, as in bounce/porposing is directly linked to road conditions. I have modifed my upper spring seats front and rear in a last ditch effort to reduce some of the bounce, highway porposing and enhance road feel. Bounce and porposing is still their, but less so, Koni's or Tokico's would be the ultimate cure.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 07-07-2004, 04:01 PM

Don't know, it was only for a half hour or so. Maybe I would have broke something if I left em in longer. Didn't see a pigtail persay, but either way fits fine and I have no porpoising, except on really really bad roads

Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, '03 "Z" Suspension, Magnaflow resonator, 6 Wire 4 Guage Grounding Kit

Old 07-09-2004, 05:01 AM

this makes me wish i had installed my own suspension.
hope u guys dont mind a couple of questions...
how much was your alignment? im about to get my first since the install.
and what specs should i try to have the tech set them at?
if it makes a difference, ive got a heavy sub in back with amps and full spare and tools. thanks in advance. im very anxious...like my babys going to the hospital or something.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 07-09-2004, 09:42 AM

Factory minimums are a good place to shoot for:
Front camber: 0.5 degrees negative
Front Toe In: 1mm

Rear Camber: 1.05 degrees negative
Rear Toe In: 1 mm

Following my experience from the front tires, you will not likely be able to adjust the fronts into spec, but some people have been able to.

Take the box out when you go to align your car. Consider buildingit out of something lighter. Nissan says the car should be aligned w/ full gas tank, spare, jack and tools in place. So the box would throw it off.

The only mods out there that the average dude shouldn't be able to do himself are turbo install, super charger install, headers (maybe), RT cats (some need to have access to a lift), and that is about it. modding cars gets way too expensive when you start having to pay installation costs too.

Warranties are nice but are not usually applicable to the cost effective mods anyways.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM

er? those are the factory minimums? is that what you guys were shooting for?
i rememeber gsedan35 saying that you were going for a bit more camber for handling purposes and i think i may need that too. can you tell me what you were shooting for? i may try that out as well. thanks guys. really appreciate it.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 07-11-2004, 06:35 PM

I wanted 1.5 degrees rear negative and 1 degree front negative camber. when the rears came out at 2 degrees, I left em

as far as toe, you want some toe in (1-3 mm) to help the tire wear. However I take my car to the dragstrip from time to time and zero toe helps off the line from my experience, ESPECIALLY with negative camber. the trade off is your tires will wear faster.

A long time ago on my G I played around with my rear end alignment (really easy, 2 cam bolts on each side) and dialed in rear steer (for autocross events where most turns are the same direction) and also played around with zero camber as well. with a string and a tape measure you can dial it in pretty close

Old 07-12-2004, 08:15 PM

ok, i went to a goodyear tire place to get my car aligned. ill say im never going there again. i dont know if it's right, but they tried to align my car according to the I35 specs. and they were only going to do the front becuase the computer said to only do fronts. i had to argue with them for 10 minutes to get them to adjust my rear camber...and then they didnt even do my rear toe.

anyways, my specs are:
front camber: R .8 L 1.2
front toe: .1

rear camber: 1.5
rear toe: who knows? bastards.

and the guy said that you want it to be toe out? is that right? i dunno. oh well.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:59 PM

no, factory calls for toe in.

I will double check to be sure tonight or tomorrow night.