Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Need Help Bad!!! Wheel Locks???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Need Help Bad!!! Wheel Locks???

So recently I readjusted the ride height in the rear. Long story short I think I may have left the wheel lock keys on the lugs while mounted and driven off. Problem is, one set is OEM and the other is from Pep Boys because the place that mounted my tires last didn't put on the wheel locks and I didn't notice till a month after.

I'm in a tough situation now because I'm running on wires and need to replace the tires tonight or tomorrow, but how can I get the wheels off if I don't have the lock keys? I'm hoping I misplaced them somewhere in the garage but I can't check till later this evening, until then I need to resort to a backup plan.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I lost mine as well they got a new one thru the vin, also some techs have a master set at the dealer.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Dealer can remove them. Most tire shops have an array of keys as well

Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
How much does the dealer charge? I'm searching google as well for different solutions. I read about the master lock and also about tire shops having something.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Hmmm...i'm considering hammering a deep socket that is slightly smaller and using a breaker bar....not sure if that's too logical but I've read that it's worked for people. Hopefully it's in the garage

Old 07-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Some dealers will do it for free if they are nice. I wouldnt try hammering a lug on if you can avoid it, you may damage your wheel.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:48 PM
yeah, i was trying to avoid that...but even if i get the oem one's off through the dealer, i need help with the other two since they are from pep boys. I think a tire shop is my best bet at the moment. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Hmmm, would this work? It's called a Gator Grip. Of course, I'd use a breaker bar with it and not some puny hand ratchet.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:54 PM
If they came from pep boys, they are most likely just spline lugs or gorilla locks. Both are EXTREMELY common and every single tire shop will have the key. Only ones you need to worry about are rare locking lugs like Rays or Volk Formulas ect.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
If they came from pep boys, they are most likely just spline lugs or gorilla locks. Both are EXTREMELY common and every single tire shop will have the key. Only ones you need to worry about are rare locking lugs like Rays or Volk Formulas ect.
+1

Don't go hammering anything just yet

Old 07-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I believe they are McGuard locks..same brand as OEM just different design key.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Just go to a local Discount Tire and ask them to check. Chances are in your favor.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
So I tried that Gator Grip....wouldn't even fit on my lugs. I called several places and I got quotes from $40 - 80. I went to my mechanic and he's charging 20 bucks but I can't have him do it since I'd have to drop the car off early in the morning and miss several hours of work. The place I'm getting my tires from is charging $40, guess that's what I gotta deal with. That's nearly a full tank of gas wasted for my own carelessness

Old 07-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
You're not the first.

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
I lost my mcguard key once too. I took a 3/4" 12 point socket and hammered it onto the lock lug. It takes some swinging, but it will go on. It needs to go on a 1/4-1/2", then tray and turn the lug loose. It worked for me on all four. I'd advise that you put sonr rags or somthing around your rim where you are swinging the hammer so you dont miss and damage your wheel. Good luch.
Originally Posted by kev301
If its the factory lock, the dealer can take it off with the master key. I lost mine and i had the dealer take off for free because i purchase the lock from them. The lock was was 30.00 and it took like 10 mins plus you would get a new set of lock and a new key.
Originally Posted by j-velocity
I lost my lug nuts too and the dealer took it off for me and put a new set on.
It cost me $20 for taking it off and $30 for the new set.
Originally Posted by nosey
thanks everyone...i went to the dealer as well...they did everything for 65...herd chamber of boston is such a rip off...i cant believe they charged me 45 for the lug nuts...anyways..im just glad i got ones i can remove...finally i can put my rims on tonight...heheh...pics will be posted on another thread hehe
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
thats a factory lug key... the dealer should have a master set and be able to take it off for you... but you might have to buy another set... or just take all of them off and replace with normal lugs
Originally Posted by gary c
Spend about five minutes hitting the lock with freon
then smack it with a hammer and it will explode in
several chunks. At least it won't be a lock anymore.
Living life thru chemistry..........or did you look in
the glovebox for the key?
Originally Posted by Esoteric
I just went through this exact scenario. I went to change my springs this weekend, and realized that somehow I had misplaced the wheel lock.

I went to the dealer, and they told me I could order locks by quoting the number on the package that came with my original locks. Since I couldn't find the package and didn't want to wait a week for the new locks to come in, I just had them remove the locks from my car with a master, and bought new ones.

I wont lose thes new ones!
Originally Posted by BigSash
yep easiest solution is to rip em off (destroying them) and buy new ones

Old 07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Hmmmm...maybe I'll give the dealer a shot. It was too late yesterday, I'll see if I can go to the local dealer here during lunch, maybe they'll be nice and charge me less than 40. We'll see. I was trying the hammer solution at first but didn't have the correct size socket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help Bad!!! Wheel Locks???