Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Need help for choosing tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help for choosing tires

Hi, My name is Richard. I come from Taiwan. I just got here for 2 months and I bought a 06 G35 coupe last Friday. I need to change the tires now. I live in north New Jersey. Is people living here change the winter tires when winter is coming or people use the all-season tires? Cuz it will snowing here therefore I can't put on the summer tires in winter. What is the choice for people who live in north New Jersey? Change the winter tires when it is winter then change the summer tires when the weather getting better? or use the all-season tires for all year? Please give me some recommendation. Thanks a lot.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never lived up north where winter tires are needed, but I believe the general feeling is if you really care about your car you'll have a second set of cheap wheels with winter tires, and swap them out for the performance tires when the weather is warmer. Of course you can just get all-season tires and never worry about swapping but that's a compromise since all-seasons generally aren't very good at anything - they just work.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_Camel
Of course you can just get all-season tires and never worry about swapping but that's a compromise since all-seasons generally aren't very good at anything - they just work.
He can get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, the capability of those tires will exceed what 90% of people here would ever do to them, while being cheaper than the PS2's and twice as long.

I'm running Michelin PS2 right now, they are the best tires I've ever used, but I'm seriously debating whether I want to continue with a summer tire replacement or just switch to all-season Pilot Sports instead!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any store aroiund Harrison provides the best price and the best skill? I may want to try the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is better than Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, right? Thanks.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
When the snow comes, you won't want to be on all seasons. I run dedicated wheels and snow tires for the winter, and Pilot Sports for the other 3 seasons (spring, summer, fall). you can get a set of wheels/snow tires for ~$1,000 from places like Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, etc. and they'll ship the set right to your door. Or, search in the marketplace here or on Craig's List for used sets. Very much worth the $ spent.

I typically change over to snow tires around Thanksgiving (late November) and take them off in mid-March, give or take a week or two.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Majority of people in your area will have a set of dedicated snow for winters and an all season or summer tire for the other months. Popular choice is the Bridgestone Blizzak. You can see winter fitment we carry for your car here Winter Wheel/Tire Options