Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Caliper Paint - too rice for words?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper Paint - too rice for words?

Your input is requested - I've got the stock, non-Brembo brakes on my Sedan. I'm prepping to flush my brake fluid this weekend. As long as I had the wheels off, I thought I might paint the calipers with one of those brake caliper paint kits I saw on HorsePower TV last weekend.

The G's stock brakes are pretty good IMO - at least our 60-0 stopping distance rivals some of the best sports cars out there - so I figured...I don't know...maybe dress them up a bit.

Is this just too rice or would it look cool? If not, any suggestions on colors? I've got a Brilliant Silver sedan and the kits come in all the colors of the rainbow.

-townsley-
03 Premium BS/Willow 5ATS
ZTube/K&N Drop-in/Sport Suspension
Grounded/Tinted/Splash Guards
Lip spoiler/Aluminum Pedals

Old 08-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Re: Caliper Paint - too rice for words?

No rice there IMO. The stock G35 brembos are gold flake! Brembos are red from the factory, which many expensive sports cars come with stock.
Some may argue that you are trying to make it look like you have a big brake kit when you don't, but you have to decide it that matters, it wouldn't to me.

http://www.floridag35.com

Old 08-18-2004, 12:26 PM

i also thought about doin this with the g2 gold caliper paint to match my gold volk sf challenges, but i'm afraid it might look ricey, so i'll probably wait till i upgrade my rotors to some brembo slotted and paint them then. That way it won't look as cheap since I will have slotted rotors.

Maybe u should invest 300 bucks into some new rotors also. I think it will look nice with the painted calipers.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:46 PM
IQ9

Do what you feel like. Dress them up if you want!

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHERE ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 08-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Painting caliperis is not ricy ,It dresses up the car
looks good, What color for a black car
RED,BLACK,BLUE

05 BLACK G35 COUPE comming soon <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by 6969g35 on 08/18/04 07:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-19-2004, 07:38 AM

I day paint away. I've used the G2 kit and it is awesome. Only downfall is that it must be shipped via ground shipping and usually takes 5 days to get. If you want to paint your calipers when you do the brake work, make sure to give yourself enough time to order and receive the paint.

If you go with the G2 kit, IM me and I'll give you some advice. The kit is not complete IMO and there are a few time saving tricks that you might like to hear.

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 08-19-2004, 08:54 AM

neffster share this mighty secrets you hold!!! i was thinking about doing this too...

Old 08-19-2004, 09:12 AM

PlatG - can you copy and paste the IM I sent you about the tips and tricks I learned from doing my own G2 caliper job in this thread?
Thanks,
Neffster

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 08-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

Here ya go.

1. Do 2 wheels at a time, either both fronts (and both rears) or one side. I prefer one side because when you're done you can put the wheels back on, lower the car and see what it looks like.

2. Buy 2 small paint brushes (the nicer more expensive ones from home depot) the smaller the brush the better.

3. Buy or get 2 small glasses that hold about 8oz. each. Plastic cups are EATEN by the 2 part paint mixture. I know this from experience...
4. Clean the calipers really really good with the brake cleaner they provide. You'll need to buy a good metal brush to clean your calipers.

5. Spend a bunch of time masking the calipers so that you can paint them while they're on your car.

6. Apply as many coats as you can before the paint sets. Do one caliper and then immediately move to the second one. Then immediately go back and apply the second coat to the first caliper then apply the second coat to the second caliper. If you have time, do a third coat. FYI... the fronts take longer than the rears because they are bigger.

http://www.floridag35.com