Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

45 Height Fronts with 40 Height Rears?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks Jaren, I think im gonna end up going with 275-40 for now just temporary, theyre alot easier to find used...again just a temporary set until i get wheels...

Can you give me your input on which tires to get, in this thread i created:
https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...-sets-get.html

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iwant2drift
Hey guys,

Long story short, my fronts are 45 in Height and I really need some tires in the back...

Is it a big difference if I stay with 40 height in the back (I currently have 40 in the back but not sure if i should get 45 instead)

Or should I get 45 in the back to match the front?

Thanks
Dude,
You've got oversized tires on the front. So with the 225/45's the front end is sitting up a bit on your 06. The 06 came with 225/40's which are SIX TENTHS of an inch shorter overall than the 225/45's. The net height difference is half that, the distance from the axle/spindle to the ground is THREE TENTHS, so the car sits that much higher in the front than it did stock.

Now... if you want the back to 'sit up' like the front then you'll need to get taller tires for the back, something like 255/40's or 275/35's would work... BUT ... the rear rims are only 8½" wide which isn't a match for either of these two rears.

For that matter, the 225/45's on the front really needs a wider rim than the stock 8" rims on the front. The best fit would be 8½" on the front and 9" on the rear if uusing the 255/40/19. In fact... the 08 G's have moved up to 8½" F & 9" R vs the earlier 8" F & 8½" R. (Different style rim though.)
Play around on Tire Rack and you can see all these different sizes and weights. Once upon a time I made a spreadsheet of all the available, possible tire sizes that I could use from an 8" to a 10" wheel along with weights for all the wheels as well as different tires. Throwing an average 9" F and 10" R aftermarket wheel on along with larger tires to fit can EASILY add 30 POUNDS to each corner of the car. Yikes!!!

The key is the suspension is setup for the factory 'stance' with 225/40's. Raise the front and you can get the same 'stance' back by raising the back. Where it gets weird is the bigger the tire, bigger the wheel, the heavier the unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is bad, bad, bad. Lighter is better.

Why people put huge heavy tires and wheels on these cars is beyond me. OTOH, that is EXACTLY why forged lightweight rims cost so much. It's easy to build a cast wheel, even a heavier forged wheel. But when you start building light AND strong forged wheels it gets expensive in a hurry. For the money, the factory RAYS are far and away the best deal out there. (Hence other RAYS wheels costing so much freaking jack!)

In a perfect world, I would LOVE to see factory 06 Rays with 8½" on the front and 9½" on the rear. It's possible to move the rears to the front, (the offset works) then send another set of rears to a wheel shop and have them widened 1" to 9½". Easy enough to also play with spacers to get the factory rims to have that mac-daddy, darned near rubbing the fender look. (If you're into all that jazz...)

Alrighty then... done blabbering for now.
Take care..