Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

anyone have konis? urgent!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone have konis? urgent!

Well.. i bought my set of adjustable (yellow) konis and went to a local shop to have the springs compressed and mounted on the shocks. the mechanic told me to twist the shock body to match the alignment of install points. needless to say... i twisted the shock body and the spring broke loose and pushed the circular ring out of the indent!!! ARGH... i ALMOST lost a thumb, but since my panda reflexes were so quick, i evaded with my digits still placed into my paw.

ANYHOW... i am wondering if anyone had problems with konis in general? i was iffy of the 'ring', and i just jinxed myself with some minor bad luck... anyone know what the body is made out of? steel? aluminum?? tomorrow i will set on a trek to have the circular rings WELDED onto the body to prevent any other mishaps.

any suggestions? and have a nice day.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:48 PM
i've contacted close to 10 welding stations and none can help me because of the possibility of gas explosion from the shocks. now.. i am stumped and desperate enough to buy a replacement, but i really want to fix this one!

anyone have any suggestions....?! desperate animal here!

Old 12-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Omega Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had Koni Yellows on a previous car with no problems whatsoever. Excellent shocks. The spring perch "rings" should not be coming off that easily considering it takes some effort to remove them. I suspect when you turned the spring perch, the ring got caught and came loose from the track.

I'd suggest checking to see that the rings are not damaged. If not, then get the spring compressed again and re-installed. The Koni shock bodies are made from steel.

Old 12-05-2004, 05:02 PM
thanks for your reply. i checked up on my350z.com and the spring seats are to be installed upside down than what the instructions say so! yeah... so i compressed the springs, took out the mounts, boot and bumpstop and took off the circlip. the circlip was damaged but not extensively... i called koni and they sent me a new one, free of charge.. i shall install it during Christmas time. i just bent back the original circlip piece and tightened it a bit.. so far no problem, even on the road.

while i am at it, added stillen sways too! very nice at the turns...