Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Changing wheel color on brand new wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Changing wheel color on brand new wheels?

Hey all,

Right now there is a set of wheels I really like in the market place, but the problem is I want them silver as opposed to gun metal. They are forged wheels which I could never afford to buy straight from the vendor and customize myself that is why i am even considering this. Is powdercoating the only way to change wheel colors after the fact? Is that even worth considering or should I just find something else in the color that I already like?

Thanks for the help!

David

Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm guessing they're forged 1pc wheels? If they are, powder coating them would be the best bet. People powder coat their OEM 18/19s all the time. You could Plasti-Dip them, or something stupid like that but your just gonna regret not getting them done right the first time.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
^ no plastidip!!!

Powdercoat or paint!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
If you're looking to refinish them, I'd recommend repainting or powder coating them. If you do decide to powder coat them, just be sure to make sure the powder coater has experience with wheels. If the wheels are left in the powder coat oven for too long the aluminum will begin to 'over age' artificially, thus making it more brittle. That being said though, powder coated finishes are pretty durable and are a good option for everyday driving. Many powders on the market now cure at lower temperatures for shorter amounts of time, which will help your wheels retain their strength.

Powder coating shouldn't be too much, and I imagine painting them would be comparable in price. Hope that helps!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
If you're looking to refinish them, I'd recommend repainting or powder coating them. If you do decide to powder coat them, just be sure to make sure the powder coater has experience with wheels. If the wheels are left in the powder coat oven for too long the aluminum will begin to 'over age' artificially, thus making it more brittle. That being said though, powder coated finishes are pretty durable and are a good option for everyday driving. Many powders on the market now cure at lower temperatures for shorter amounts of time, which will help your wheels retain their strength.

Powder coating shouldn't be too much, and I imagine painting them would be comparable in price. Hope that helps!
Re-finish isnt what I would call it. I am considering buying wheels (which are brand new forged) and changing the color on them to silver (from gunmetal). Does powdercoating or any other adhesive work if the wheels are new and smooth? I guess I am thinking about it from any normal painting perspective where needs need to be sanded down and prepped so things will stick so I wasnt sure if new wheels would have a problem taking powder.