Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

All-season tire help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conti dws still available?

Neal,

I am looking for new tires as well, and do not see the dws available for the G35 Sport.

I do see the BFG 970 ranking higher than the general and kumho. Is the higher cost going to provide longer wear than the other two?

For a point of reference, I am on the Hankook v4 es. Their lower ranking confirms to me that they grip less than what I expected. Dealer had installed for me when I bought the car. They were just ok when new and not so good now with 35k miles.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
What size(s) are you using?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Factory sport, 225-50-18 front and 245-45-18 rear.

I see the base model tires now.

Last edited by Jrri; 08-28-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Another vote for the Conti DWS. I have them on my Camaro and I can actually drive in snow (light). They also last forever, are low price, and have great wet manners. The soft sidewall gives a more comfortable ride, I'd rather a stiff sidewall on my autox tires.

The only reason I didnt put them on the G is they dont make them in the size I wanted (225-55-17) so I went with Kumho 4x. Also a low price tire, they have performed very well in the rain but it did not snow last winter so not sure about that but they are almost a year old and still looks like brand new tread, Kumho's seem to wear quickly in other models.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Jrri

Yeah, no DWS options in that combo. The 970 is a great tire for light/moderate snow climates. I really liked those when we tested them. Little longer life and tad better a/s ability would come from Yoko's Envigor which is also a popular G tire.

Call me when ready!

Old 09-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I also give a + vote for the Conties DWS for the G35 4Dr manual. I had them since 2009 in Ohio for all season and they worked fine. I moved to Dallas, Tx in March and a few weeks ago I bumped my front left on something on the road and it made a huge bubble on the sidewall. Having over 30k miles on them (they have a 3/16 tread left) I need to replace all 4. I would go for the same but sinec the climate here is very different from Ohio I am second guessing the Conties.

A guy at Discount Tire suggested their Yokohamas YK 580, but I am not sure.

Also should I go with Summer tires for the whole year (there are a few days of light snow during the winter here). I understand that summer tires wear faster than all seasons.

I liked the conties a lot and right now I am leaning towards them....but....

Any suggestions/comments are welcomed.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by neal@tirerack
Yeah, no DWS options in that combo. The 970 is a great tire for light/moderate snow climates. I really liked those when we tested them. Little longer life and tad better a/s ability would come from Yoko's Envigor which is also a popular G tire.

Call me when ready!
Missed you today, darn time zone thingy. Ordered online, left your extension number in the order.

Went with the bridgestones, I had the 960's on my old car and liked them. And the reviews look good.

Thanks for your responses,

Old 09-24-2012, 01:47 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Saw that come through, thanks for the order! Enjoy and let us know how you like them.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrri

I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. They are great wet and dry tires. The tread wear is really good but I don't drive hard.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by tonke73
I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. They are great wet and dry tires. The tread wear is really good but I don't drive hard.
We finally got the Bridgestones installed. We are happy with their performance in the colder temps and what little rain we have received in KC. No snow traction to report yet. The other cars have snow tires, so we use them when it snows.

They feel like the sidewall is softer than the old Hankooks, which helps with improving the comfort level on our S.

They have a good feel to them, giving you confidence. Hard to explain.

Had the car aligned, the old front tires had corded on the inside.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I prefer the nittos I never have a problem I haven't tried the motivos yet tho

Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 AM
The Continental DWS are amazing in snow driving compared to other a/s tires I've tried. I drove through winter storm Nemo's snow this past week with confidence and zero heart-skipping moments.

Too bad your stock tire sizes are not availble in the DWS's. Perhaps you can go down/up a size though? I highly recommend this tire if you encounter any winter driving and you don't want to mess with swapping tire/rims every Dec - Mar. Also, this tire can take on a 25 mph off ramp with excellent grip in the summer too!

By the way, since when did they start naming winter storms like hurricanes? Nemo sounds more like a bunch of Disney clown fish than a winter storm.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Curious about the Conti DWS. I've had a couple cars wth Conti's and they are without a doubt the loudest tire I have ever experienced. The howl is nearly unbearable. Any opinion son how they sound on the G?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 AM
Update for Conti DWS,

Well, I praised these tires last winter. However, when I rotated the tires in the fall I noticed the wear markers had very little "S" left. I didn't think it would make a big difference. Boy was I wrong, I almost lost it on a highway on-ramp accelerating into traffic a few weeks ago. Nothing like making your heart skip a beat or two!

Pay attention to your wear markers, apperantely they do make a difference for winter driving. My solution right now is 300 lbs of paving sand in the trunk to keep the rear end where it's supposed to be. I'll get a fresh set of rear DWS in the fall.

To answer the last post about noise, I haven't noticed too much highway noise so far. My first set of tires were a set of Goodyear A/S Eagles, they were pretty noisy after 15000 miles.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Recently bought my second set of DWS. Great in snow and not noisey by my ears.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: All-season tire help