Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

.5" drop in rear without springs...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.5" drop in rear without springs...

can someone direct to the link or page where they modified the spring top hat for the rear off a g35 coupe to drop it like .5". Something about cutting the rubber mount on top or something like that. Let me know. tried searching but not too sure what to search for. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
That would be my doing. Let me explain the whole thing. I've done the mod for two other people, one Z owner with Zeal coilovers and one sedan owner that is running front oem Z springs and rear oem sedan springs. It first started out as a quest on my part to hopefully get rid of some sponginess the rear of my car. I cut down the rear upper spring seats, cutting about 3/4" of material off, then back filling with hard plastic spacers that I fabracated. The idea being to try and make myself a firmer upper spring seat bushing.

When they are cut, their really isn't a way to cut less then 3/4". Reason being that happens to be a point that the part offers a natural cutting guide. To try any other point would be rather futile do to the nature of the material (it's like cutting a thick car tire). What ever rear drop anyone would want, less than 3/4" is a simple matter of fashioning a plastic bushing to back fill.

http://pics.montypics.com/gcoupe35/2...r_bushings.jpg

Hope that helps.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Before someone asks, the same thing can't be done in the front.

Old 02-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did it get rid of the sponginess?

Old 02-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
That would be my doing. Let me explain the whole thing. I've done the mod for two other people, one Z owner with Zeal coilovers and one sedan owner that is running front oem Z springs and rear oem sedan springs. It first started out as a quest on my part to hopefully get rid of some sponginess the rear of my car. I cut down the rear upper spring seats, cutting about 3/4" of material off, then back filling with hard plastic spacers that I fabracated. The idea being to try and make myself a firmer upper spring seat bushing.

When they are cut, their really isn't a way to cut less then 3/4". Reason being that happens to be a point that the part offers a natural cutting guide. To try any other point would be rather futile do to the nature of the material (it's like cutting a thick car tire). What ever rear drop anyone would want, less than 3/4" is a simple matter of fashioning a plastic bushing to back fill.

Hope that helps.
do you know how the car will handle without those plastic rings? ...like any negative affects?

Old 02-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35

Hope that helps.

What size are the plastic bushings, and how long did this take to actually do..

Old 02-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Gsedan35 - ur inbox is full, is there any other way i can contact you (I also sent an email to ur yahoo acct)

Old 02-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by tkman00
Gsedan35 - ur inbox is full, is there any other way i can contact you (I also sent an email to ur yahoo acct)
Opp's, sorry about that, I didn't notice they cut down the inbox from 100 messages to just 50. I upgraded my membership so I could have a larger inbox now.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by g_man35
What size are the plastic bushings, and how long did this take to actually do..
I used the chunk of material that I cut off the spring seat as a guide. Kinda hard to say how long it took as I made 4 of them in one sitting. Hour and a half would be a guess. I'll see if I can get a exact measurement tomarrow for the size of the bushing, inner and outer circle.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Im a bit confused... If the bushings make the height exactly what it was before (your pic shows the two compared) how did you drop it .5??

Can we get these bushings at the local hardware shop??

Old 02-23-2005, 10:37 PM
You'd get a 1/2" drop by not installing both bushings, just one. I wasn't after a drop when I did the mod, just to kill off as much soft bushing material as possible.

No, you can't buy the plastic bushings, not that I could ever find. I fabbed them in my garage out of sheet cutting board plastic. They are 5 1/8" across and measure's 2 9/16" on the inside

Old 02-24-2005, 04:57 PM
So did it work?? Was the ride more stiff?

Abvious next question..------> Want those bushings!! Will you make me some and sell them to me??

Thanks

Old 02-24-2005, 06:26 PM
What I wanted them to do was to lesson some of the bounce that my 2003 350Z suspension produces. In that mission, they didn't have a effect. I did get a improvement in the amount of communication from the rear tires, though nothing harsh or objectionable. Since I did get something out of the mod, I didn't see the point in bothering to pull the bushings or spend to have the car realigned.

How many bushings would you need?

Old 02-24-2005, 07:23 PM
I would love to get a hold of about 4 of those suckers.. So have you checked to make sure theyre still in good shape (no cracks,etc...)??

Old 02-25-2005, 03:02 AM
wait if you just cut the top part off and put it back in lets say you cut like 1/2 inch wont it be ok just not to put anything back cause spring tensino holds it there

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: .5" drop in rear without springs...