Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Which size of wheels/tires for a Canadian winter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which size of wheels/tires for a Canadian winter?

Before I get bashed I've been searching for over an hour all over the forum for the answer and desperately ask the question that has probably been answered already a few times.
I'll delete the thread as soon as I've figured it out so thank you!!

So I just bought a G35 coupe 07. Currently it's on summer tires, 19" and I plan on keeping it this way until next winter.
I live in Quebec Canada so our winters are kinda harsh with lots of snow, which brings me to the question: What would be the dimensions of the winter tires if I want to go with a 17 or 18 inch rim for the winter? Somewhere on the forum I found 225/50R17 is the size if I want to go with 17", is this the correct size?

Once again I've sniffed all over the forum trying to find the correct dimensions with the appropriate size and I've lost hope so bear with me on this one, cheers.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Willtheyfit.com has a great calculator, along with the "tire size calculator" on this very forum's banner if viewed from a desktop computer.

You most likely would want to go 18" for winter wheels, with the best WINTER tires your money could buy. Try to keep the diameter within 3% of stock sizes to keep VDC happy.

AFAIK, you legally need to run winters up in Canada. Is that a provincial thing?

Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SergueiG35
Before I get bashed I've been searching for over an hour all over the forum for the answer and desperately ask the question that has probably been answered already a few times.
I'll delete the thread as soon as I've figured it out so thank you!!

So I just bought a G35 coupe 07. Currently it's on summer tires, 19" and I plan on keeping it this way until next winter.
I live in Quebec Canada so our winters are kinda harsh with lots of snow, which brings me to the question: What would be the dimensions of the winter tires if I want to go with a 17 or 18 inch rim for the winter? Somewhere on the forum I found 225/50R17 is the size if I want to go with 17", is this the correct size?

Once again I've sniffed all over the forum trying to find the correct dimensions with the appropriate size and I've lost hope so bear with me on this one, cheers.
Hey, welcome to the forum, good to see another Quebecois here. You can move down to a 215-55-17 for the winter. Or you can do what I do and store your car for the season, the winters here destroy a car and a low slung rear wheel drive coupe is not the best for winter, you'd have had a lot of trouble in this weeks storm. Here is a sample of prices for various packages from a tire store in Toronto..

http://simplytire.com/winter/infinitipdf.pdf

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Willtheyfit.com has a great calculator, along with the "tire size calculator" on this very forum's banner if viewed from a desktop computer.

You most likely would want to go 18" for winter wheels, with the best WINTER tires your money could buy. Try to keep the diameter within 3% of stock sizes to keep VDC happy.

AFAIK, you legally need to run winters up in Canada. Is that a provincial thing?
Not a law in Canada, only the province of Quebec requires mandatory winter tires from latest Dec. 15 - March 15.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here, this is my set, fits the coupe and clears the brembo's. Awesome tires!

I'm about an hour from montreal. could meet up if your interested.

Last edited by Blue Dream; 03-27-2017 at 07:34 AM. Reason: No links to outside sales allowed on the forums
Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WeinerXXX
Here, this is my set, fits the coupe and clears the brembo's. Awesome tires!

I'm about an hour from montreal. could meet up if your interested.
Sent you an email!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.