Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Replacing wheel bearing help please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing wheel bearing help please?

So I've been trying to replace my rear wheel bearing. And ran into a issue I've taking everything off. I unscrewed the 4 bolts behind the axle. I pulled the hub assembly with a joint puller. So it's just the bearing assembly on there. So all I have left to do is remove the bearing assembly. So I'm wondering if anyone ran into this problem before and maybe someone can give me some tips. Or a second opinion but, the bearing assembly is like seized on there and I can't get it to come off. It's not holding on by the bolts because I removed them. I've tried everything. Sprayed tf out of it with rust repellent, hitting it as hard as I can with a mini sledge hammer, try to chisel it with a air hammer, I've also try to put one of the bolts back in and punch it with the air hammer and that thing will not budge. It's like it's welded on there. I've ran out of ideas and don't know what to do. My last idea is to maybe cut it with a angle grinder or something smaller and cut it in 4s and try to hit it with a sledge hammer. I don't know if it's a good idea. I need a 2nd opinion. I would really appreciate the help. I need to get the car back together before I go back to work tomorrow.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:46 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
For the future it's intended to remove the hub/bearing as a unit and separate them with a press. You just have a significant amount of corrosion that's holding the bearing in place, hit it good with a short handle sledge and it should come right off. I would protect the driveshaft by stuffing a rag into the hole since you pulled the hub off first and there's nothing to keep the bearing from slamming onto it when it finally breaks free.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Have you tried heat? I used to use Propane to remove stubborn parts and have since upgraded to MAPP and haven't looked back since.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I found it much easier to just remove the axles, leaving yourself plenty of room to hit that hub out from the inside. Put a few longer bolts and tap on them to push the hub out. Normally there's a bit of rust and corrosion that seizes that thing in place. After you get it out, sand the opening to make sure it's clean and the new hub slides in place easily.