Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

TPMS reprogramming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There are physical and digital parts of the system.

Physical being the wheel transmitter, hub reciever, associated wire, indicator light on the dash.

Digital being the programming within the ECU.

The wheel transmitters operate at a set frequency and transmits very short range radio frequency which is picked up at the wheel hub, signal is pass/fail and the ECU will illuminate the light on the combination meter for a failed signal OR a short/open in the circuit to the reciever.

The wheel transmitter has a moving diaphram that closes a sealed switch, when tire pressure is too low the diaphram moves and the switch opens, the wheel transmitter stops sending a signal, the ECU triggers the TPMS warning light.

Typically a failure happens with the battery in the transmitter, they eventually die and the warning light won't go away, failure can also happen by using products like Fix-A-Flat which hardens on the diaphram and it can no longer move (fyi you can NEVER use fix-a-flat on a vehicle equipped with TPMS or you ruin it).

There is a way to recalibrate the sensors via Consult II at the dealership but I don't think it's a function that can be done by the owner. Try the deflate method to determine if the system is working AT ALL, it's possible you have a failed lamp in the combination meter. I -think- TPMS codes are transmitted via OBD2 so if you don't see the lamp turn on you can scan for individual tire codes. If you do have the TPMS light illuminate for some tires but not other tires you can swap your tires around (any corner will work if non-staggered, otherwise just swap the two fronts/rears, it won't hurt to go for a short drive with directional tires backwards as long as the roads aren't wet) and try again to eliminate a problem with the wheel hub which I strongly doubt is the issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.