Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Good tires for summer + occasional HPDE days?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
All season. I didn't know they made a summer tire. I was looking for the best tire for wet and dry season
I'm only 3500 miles into these tires so it might change, but the summer version (sport comp2) have been great in the PNW rain; granted our rain is more the light + steady variety vs other parts of the country that get absolutely dumped on in a short amount of time. YMMV.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I thought the comp2 just replaced the original comp. Tire rack only has comp2 a/s listed as an option. And btw I completely forgot I'm running bridgestone potenza s04 on the rear and sport comp 2's up front. I forgot the exact reason for replacement but I think I blew one of the rears wayy before the fronts needed to be replaced and decided to try out bridgestone. How many miles are people getting on the Comp2's? I remember my first set I only got about 15,000 on the rears with good oem alignment

Old 03-27-2018, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
I thought the comp2 just replaced the original comp. Tire rack only has comp2 a/s listed as an option. And btw I completely forgot I'm running bridgestone potenza s04 on the rear and sport comp 2's up front. I forgot the exact reason for replacement but I think I blew one of the rears wayy before the fronts needed to be replaced and decided to try out bridgestone. How many miles are people getting on the Comp2's? I remember my first set I only got about 15,000 on the rears with good oem alignment
Ahh, it looks like you have the regular g-force comp-2, and I have the g-force sport comp 2. I'm trying to remember if my first set were A/S or not. I could have sworn they were the sport comp 2 as well but I can't be sure. Whatever they were, I believe I got around 20k miles out of them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfgoodrich-tires.jsp
Ultra High Performance Summer
g-Force Sport COMP-2
Ultra High Performance All-Season
g-Force COMP-2 A/S

Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
But they only carry the rear size for the summer tires. Maybe they are phasing out of the summer line. I checked the order email from tirerack and it does seem like I bought the summer comp2's for front and rear back in 2013

Old 03-28-2018, 12:31 PM
I'm on 18" OE Rays, for which they have a ton of options. I'm running 245 square on my sedan, not sure how a square setup would effect the balance of the coupe but they do have 245 available in 19".

Old 03-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can find the 225 front size on ebay it seems

Old 03-28-2018, 08:04 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I run the Michelin PSS, although I do currently have the BFG Gforce Comp2 on the rear right now due to me having to change out a rear tire during a long trip. The PSS are expensive but they grip well and I like the fact that they have a soft sidewall. The BFG perform decently as well and have a stiffer side wall, but the PSS are stickier so I'll stick with those.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Guys, if I can ask one more question ( I appreciate your patience)

I think I'm down to the BFG Gforce Comp 2 A/S or the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+

The Michelins are actually cheaper thanks to a promotion being run at my local Infiniti dealership. If I want my tires to survive very occasional trips to a track (with an amateur driver who will not be thrashing them), which do you think is the better choice? It seems like the Pilot A/S would have a better pedigree for this.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Car is in the shop getting BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S , Infiniti somehow didn't realize that the G35 is staggered, so it turned out they only had 4 front michelins lmao, not all of them. Excited to have a higher quality all season tire on it.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Enjoy them.

Regarding a winter set, keep your eyes on the forum for a used set of Coupe 18's or even 17's. When I had my G, I ran a set of 17x7 ASA wheels + Dunlop Winter Sport tires for winter and I was happy to have the bit of extra sidewall in the winter with all the potholes on Philly roads.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:06 PM
Hey so I actually had decided that because I barely drive in the winter (and philly rarely gets much snow) that for now I'll be happy with a high quality set of all seasons. I just got a call from the tire shop saying one of my OEM 19 rays is bent too lmao, but when I first moved to philly I just wasn't careful enough while driving around. Oh well, at least I didn't crack a rim.

In the future, when I finish university (march 2020), I'll start thinking about switching to a summer + winter set (Enkei 18s), or I'll just get a winter beater, but at least for now I will be happy and confident thanks to the BFG tires

Old 04-26-2018, 04:09 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by philbegas
Hey so I actually had decided that because I barely drive in the winter (and philly rarely gets much snow) that for now I'll be happy with a high quality set of all seasons. I just got a call from the tire shop saying one of my OEM 19 rays is bent too lmao, but when I first moved to philly I just wasn't careful enough while driving around. Oh well, at least I didn't crack a rim.

In the future, when I finish university (march 2020), I'll start thinking about switching to a summer + winter set (Enkei 18s), or I'll just get a winter beater, but at least for now I will be happy and confident thanks to the BFG tires
Makes sense, though I might disagree on the amount of snow in Philly
This past March was a bit rough...seems to be a strange trend:
February = super mild
March = 20+ inches of snow

Old 04-26-2018, 04:13 PM
That's true, but because I can walk to school I don't *have* to drive my car from September - Mar, so all seasons should be fine for me. A bit better in the cold weather than summer tires and can deal better with the moisture and the light snow I occasionally drive on

Old 04-26-2018, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Makes sense, though I might disagree on the amount of snow in Philly
This past March was a bit rough...seems to be a strange trend:
February = super mild
March = 20+ inches of snow
You might think it's late April, when really it's January 116th.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:59 PM
Hey the weather is beautiful today!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good tires for summer + occasional HPDE days?