Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Getting wheels repolished

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2005 | 10:06 AM
|
Getting wheels repolished

Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with getting 2pc wheels re-polished. I have a set of 20" high polished Iforged wheels that I just sent out to get re-polished does anyone know how long it usually take for them to do a full re-polishing? Do shops usually take apart a 2pc wheel or will the just polish them as 1 pc? 2 rims have very minor curb rash also nothing serious. I was told 2 weeks but I have a feeling if going to take longer if they take apart the wheels?

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:00 PM
Iforged 2-piece wheels have the centers welded on, so you cant take apart. Should only take 1 day to polish them, unless shop is really busy. If they are being re-chromed than it can take 2-4 weeks to chrome some wheels, however 2-piece Iforged wheels are not do-able. 2 weeks to only polish wheels is ridiculous.

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:04 PM
|
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
Iforged 2-piece wheels have the centers welded on, so you cant take apart. Should only take 1 day to polish them, unless shop is really busy. If they are being re-chromed than it can take 2-4 weeks to chrome some wheels, however 2-piece Iforged wheels are not do-able. 2 weeks to only polish wheels is ridiculous.
He told me they have to take the wheel apart. Maybe he thought it was a 3 pc, so there is not chance of them cutting the weld and rewelding after there done polishing?

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by nismoGcoupe
He told me they have to take the wheel apart. Maybe he thought it was a 3 pc, so there is not chance of them cutting the weld and rewelding after there done polishing?
There is no need to un-weld or take-apart those wheels if they are only polishing them. If they are, then I smell something fishy. Price should be around $100-160 to polish the set.

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:19 PM
|
There is no need to un-weld or take-apart those wheels if they are only polishing them. If they are, then I smell something fishy. Price should be around $100-160 to polish the set.
are you sure about that price I've gotten a few quotes from a few different shops and all were at least $180+ per wheel to get a full repolish and to take out all curb rashes

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:27 PM
are you sure about that price I've gotten a few quotes from a few different shops and all were at least $180+ per wheel to get a full repolish and to take out all curb rashes
Are you sure your not getting them chromed? To get them chromed-dip, is like $125-180 each wheel for 20's. However as stated, 2-piece IForged are welded, then they will charge you to take-apart. Machine polishing will remove those curb rashes easily. That is the benefit of having polished wheels, they are easier and cheaper to fix, and repair.

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:46 PM
|
Are you sure your not getting them chromed? To get them chromed-dip, is like $125-180 each wheel for 20's. However as stated, 2-piece IForged are welded, then they will charge you to take-apart. Machine polishing will remove those curb rashes easily. That is the benefit of having polished wheels, they are easier and cheaper to fix, and repair.
No they’re not getting chromed dipped. I got quote from 3 shops and all the quotes were between $180-$250 to polish a single wheel. The shop I actually used is charging me $200 each wheel but its 3rd party he's actually sending them to someone he uses, only reason I went through 3rd party is cause he gave me a set of wheels to drive on till mine are done so I didn’t mind paying a little more $$$

Not sure if you're confused or not, I'm not just getting the lip repolished I'm getting the face of the wheels repolished too. Now you got me worried I thought the price I got was fair compared to all the quotes I got, I hope I'm not getting raped on this deal

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:50 PM
yeah, your price seems really high. i have had a couple of wheels sent out here in san diego to U.S. Wheels. performance tire sent one out and discount sent one out since U.S. Wheels only deals with shops. i had a bend on the inner lip and some curb rash on a 19" DTM kruez wheel (basically the same as iForged) and i was only about $90 to fix the bend and do the polishing. had the wheel back in 3 days including the travel time there and back.

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:56 PM
No they’re not getting chromed dipped. I got quote from 3 shops and all the quotes were between $180-$250 to polish a single wheel. The shop I actually used is charging me $200 each wheel but its 3rd party he's actually sending them to someone he uses, only reason I went through 3rd party is cause he gave me a set of wheels to drive on till mine are done so I didn’t mind paying a little more $$$

Not sure if you're confused or not, I'm not just getting the lip repolished I'm getting the face of the wheels repolished too. Now you got me worried I thought the price I got was fair compared to all the quotes I got, I hope I'm not getting raped on this deal
Here in So.Cal, COMPLETE polishing ( lip and centers ), price vary from $25-$50 per wheel, just depends on shop. Most will machine polish, and will easily remove those curb rashes. For the price they are charging you, might was well get them chromed. Did you go to a wheel polish/repair shop for quote? Dont go to a tire/wheel shop like Discount Tires, they just send it to another shop. Oh well, as long they do a good job with your wheels.

Old 04-05-2005 | 01:58 PM
|
The only thing I can think of is that they thought it was a 3pc wheel and they figured it need to be taken apart. Maybe they'll see its really a 2pc

Old 04-05-2005 | 02:00 PM
|
Yes, I personally went to a wheel repair shop for the quotes

Old 04-05-2005 | 02:01 PM
The only thing I can think of is that they thought it was a 3pc wheel and they figured it need to be taken apart. Maybe they'll see its really a 2pc
Sorry, should'nt make any difference if 2 or 3 piece wheels. When polishing only, no need to take apart wheels.

Old 04-06-2005 | 10:38 AM
|
so basically what your telling me is it would have been cheaper to ship my wheels out to cali(2nd day air) get them repolished and sent back to jersey(2nd day air) & it still would be cheaper than the price I got quoted locally

Old 04-06-2005 | 06:27 PM
so basically what your telling me is it would have been cheaper to ship my wheels out to cali(2nd day air) get them repolished and sent back to jersey(2nd day air) & it still would be cheaper than the price I got quoted locally

Yup,

We got a place that does it for $200 for the set... I would call them and ask if the price varies between a 2-piece and 3-piece. It really shouldn,t but maybe thats how they justified the high price. If this is the case ask how much a 2-piece would cost, then let them know that your wheels are in fact 2-piece and that you should be charged that price.

Hope this helps and good luck!

James