Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Change brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change brake rotors?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to change the brake rotors? I want either drilled or slotted rotors simply for the look/image. I don't plan on racing, in fact I'm OLD and kinda a slow driver these days. I do like my burst of speed from stoplights and entrance ramps though.

I am also planning on changing out those squeeky/dirty pads too. I have been a fan of Bendix Titanium pads over the last few years but they are not available for our G35s yet. If you guys/gals want to help me out there - go to Bendix's web site and and request the pads so they get some request for them.

Thanks - Larry Bushaw (G35c is car number 66)

Old 05-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Re: Change brake rotors?

i don't have an answer to your post, sorry. however, i read your post on the stillen exhaust install and was very impressed. you obviously know cars (much much better than i). i was wondering what your impression was on the "hyper engine ground kits"? it seems to be the popular item. thanks & happy moding!

Old 05-28-2003, 11:10 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quite easy dude. Remove wheel, remove calliper bolts (2), hang calliper so as not to damage rubber hose. You now have access to both the rotor and the pads.
I'll email Bendix to request pads for our G's.........

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 05-28-2003, 11:25 AM

We've exchanged ideas before. Would you give us a little more info on why you like Bendix Titanium (was gonna abbreviate the "titanium but figured it'd look very incorrect...)?

Such as: lots of posters like the Hawk and EBC due to dustless, longevity, etc. (and maybe because it's so relatively available at tirerack.com) what's the mileage potential on the B. Titanium? hard pad? relatively dustless? require radical seating procedures? squeaks any? cause more wear on rotor? better stopping power than stock, in your opinion? any examples of cars you've used them on before?

Sorry for lots of questions but there's nothing like personal experience/stories and, like others who own the G (either coupe or sedan it appears) the dusting and longevity may not be the long suits of this stock brake pad. I'm a little like you, pretty darned easy on the car (6MT coupe) altho I'll stand on the loud pedal occasionally. In the past, I've gotten 70K-80K on a car's brake pads with the car weighing 300+ more pounds and the same stopping distances as G Coupe.

Thanks for the info, Larry! I don't mind writing Bendix at all.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:43 AM

Curious what the conversion will cost. My guess is at least $2K. I think I'm correct that slotted rotors cannot be turned down, so that means new rotors every brake job. Guess I won't be getting them - I'm too cheap. They shouldn't cost this much - they're full of holes!

Old 05-28-2003, 08:49 PM

Bendix has a nice little write up about their Titanium pads on their web site. I like them because they do not require any break in period and they are very clean - that's probably the reason I like them the best. I'm not real sure about longevity - I have a habit of changing pads very frequently because then the caliper pistons don't get out into the rusted areas of the piston bores. I have never had pistons freeze up since doing this. Rotors also last much longer because they very rarely get gouged up. I also NEVER allow anyone to put the wheels on my cars. I always install them myself and torque by hand. No impact wrenches allowed. Those improperly torqued impact wrenches WILL warp a rotor!

As for the grounding kits - I thought this was just an amazing marketing ploy until I read a dyno test in some magazine where they actually gained a couple of horse power with the kits. It convinced me enough that I'm in the process of building my own set.

Larry Bushaw

Old 05-28-2003, 09:11 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha, someone else fussy like me about wheels and torquing lug nuts.
Those Bendix pads sound like the real deal. I like the idea of replacing the pads b4 the piston extends out to the rough parts. Worth the extra $$$$.
Grounding kits works well bro. I can attest to that. Power increase is slight, but smoothness of idle, and quality of shifting is very noticable, as is starting characteristics. Could be a lttle gas mileage increase too.
Good luck with your mods.

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 05-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Montgomery's Finest

What ever you do pay close attention the the new rotor inst.....i just got mine in and they came with a lot in inst....And the break in period is detailed in the inst..

Old 05-29-2003, 07:39 AM

What brand of rotor did you go with - what type of design (drilled or slotted) - what kind of price did you have to pay - who did you get them from?

Thanks - Larry Bushaw

Old 05-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Montgomery's Finest

i got Stillen rotors made espically of the the brembo calipers.... Slotted look at the pic. i have of them look....I paid $484 shipping and handaling included.....
HOLLA BACK

Old 05-31-2003, 04:09 PM

Brembo drilled/slotted rotors are $340.00/each rotor uninstalled! But they are not available yet? They are gorgeous! Stillen's are $460.00/pair front, $440.00 pair rear. Not a huge visual impact as you would get with the brembo's though