Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

My Rear Tires are totaly gone at 13k!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Rear Tires are totaly gone at 13k!

The other day I was installing my new Tien S Tech lowering springs when I noticed that My rear tires are totaly worn on the inside of the wheel. I mean it looks as though that they were over inflated because the outsides of the tires are perfectly fine and about 3 - 4 inches of the center of the tire is worn enough to fail PA inspection! Granted I do drive the car hard, but not hard enough to burn through a set of wheels in 13k. lol. The weird thing is when I checked the pressure to lower it, they were set at 35psi already. Well I'm really confused, so I made an appt for wendsday morning to have them looked at. I think even if they were overinflated It would not have been my fault, because I take the car to infiniti every 3,000 miles for an oil change and their techs should check the pressure every time, right? Has any one eles encountered this?? I'm rolling on the stock 17's, and Im gonna change them soon, but I think that I should get a new set of tires any way because its just not right. Oh and by the way, I highly recommend the Tien S. Tech Springs, they lowered the car to my desiered hight and with my Greddy Bumper (or any body kit) it will make it look awsome!

Old 05-10-2005, 09:10 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
My stock 18" rear tires lasted about 14k miles.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like par for the course, G35MR2. Tires are wear items, and there's no way for the dealer to know what sort of abuse they've seen. At best, you might get some pro-rated discount on a new set of tires that might cover a quarter of the cost, but I wouldn't bank on getting a dime.

But with wear that uneven, at the stock ride-height and without excess weight in the trunk, there would seem to be a problem that needs to be identified. It might simply be under-inflated tires, it may be something more.

While the dealership may check tire pressure, fluid levels, etc., checking and maintaining correct tire pressure and fluid levels is entirely the responsibility of the Owner. Before pressing the issue with your dealership, you should take into account how many times you have checked the tire pressure. Incorrect tire pressure will usually only result in excessive tire wear if the pressure isn't corrected over a significant amount of miles.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 05-10-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was another guy that had this same problem....

Mine wears more from the inner tread (closer to the center of the car),
but never down the middle of the tread like that.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:43 AM
The inner wear on rear tires is usually due to the higher rear camber. This is the "tilt" on the wheels, so that the tops are more to the inside than the bottoms. This helps out with cornering, since the tires are better aligned to the road surface once the suspension takes its set during the turn. The downside is the greater wear of the inner tire during straight ahead driving. If you get an alignment, have them confirm that your rear camber is within specs.

I've heard mixed experiences with the G35, but it seems the 18" package is more prone to camber wear, while the 17" RS-As are more prone to center wear.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What he's saying is the center of the tire, not towards the center of the car
(as I explained).

Also, toe causes more inner tread wear than just camber alone.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:56 AM
I had a the same issue..(13K) the rear of my car was sagging about 1.5" compared to the front.. I had the car aligned(was within spec, but the rear tires were still "leaning" to the inside, and then the dealer installed new springs(the rear is about .5" lower than the front) the dealer is telling me that the 120lbs of stereo equipment in the trunk is what's making the car sag!!! I've tried to get some insight from the forum..got a few members to give some knowledge.. I've been thinking about installing an aftermarket suspension. I'm hesistant, because what i've read and understand(limited knowledge) is that most aftermarket susupension kits, lower the car...i don't know if lowering the car is what i want...