Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Spring/balance question for Gsedan35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring/balance question for Gsedan35

Tried to send a PM but your inbox is full, so here's the question as a post:

I've seen a lot of your posts about suspension so I'm hoping your the right person to ask.
I had tein s-tech springs on my 03 G35 coupe. I loved the look but got tired of running into steep driveways and didn't want to spend the big $$ on alignment parts.
One thing I really liked was the .5" difference between the drop in the front versus the rear. So I had this idea. Just buy some 350Z springs and put them only on the front. Since they have the same spring rates as the G and the .5" drop gives me the look without so much drop it seems like the perfect solution.
I'm guessing the aligment will suffer a little, but I'm willing to live with that. My question for you is how do you think it will effect the balance of the car?
My guess is that it will move more weight to the front but I'm not sure if that will cause understeer or oversteer? If you've got any thoughts on this, let me know.

Thanks,

Gizmo

Old 05-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dang, i know the answer to that, but Im not Gsedan35...

Old 05-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Dang 50 PM limit.

Keep seeing that Gsedan35 is online but can't figure out how to contact him.

Tried sending him an email through his profile but that didn't work either.

Gsedan35, where are you?

Old 05-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Question.

I think I saw the weight distribution on the G35 sedan as 54% fron and 46% rear, so lowering the front a little more must increase that ratio up front. What effects would that have on the cars performance, handling, braking... way beyond me.

Doesn't sound like a BIG change, but I'd think that the added front weight would dive a little more in corners, and possibly overload the traction in any really spirited driving. You'de probably have to push it pretty hard to see the difference though. IMO.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by joes954rr
Good Question.

I think I saw the weight distribution on the G35 sedan as 54% fron and 46% rear, so lowering the front a little more must increase that ratio up front. What effects would that have on the cars performance, handling, braking... way beyond me.

Doesn't sound like a BIG change, but I'd think that the added front weight would dive a little more in corners, and possibly overload the traction in any really spirited driving. You'de probably have to push it pretty hard to see the difference though. IMO.
the weight of the car would not change, the front half of your car still weighs the same, unless you are putting on some really heavy springs

Old 05-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Lowering the car only in the front will change the weight bias towards the front. So if it goes from 54/46, it might go to something like 58/42. The question then is, how does extra weight on the front wheels and less on the rear wheel affect the handling?

Extra weight should give extra traction, therefore the front tires will grip more and the rears less.........understeer.

But the thing I don't know is how the car handles normally at the limit. Does it normally understeer or oversteer. If it understeers all ready, the extra weight might overload the wheels more and just make it worse.

Or, taking weight off the rear tires combined with a car that normally oversteers, will just make it worse.

I just don't know what the normal handling characteristics of the car is, since I haven't pushed it that hard yet. Sure you can get a bunch of understeer if you get into a corner too fast and really crank the wheel. Conversly, massive amounts of throttle induced oversteer is always fun. I'm just wondering if an expert might be able to give me his opinion.

Gsedan 35 seems to be the local expert on suspensions, but if anyone else has thoughts on the idea, I'd like to hear them.

Gizmo

Old 06-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just completed the 350Z spring conversion on my sedan, which did shift a little more weight the the front as it has lowered the front a bit more than the rear. Honestly, I can't tell a difference though. If the front is now "heavier" you cannot tell. I've thrown that things into corner after corner and it sticks awesome. No negative feedback, or mass change to the steering. I suspect the car handles just like the sport package, just a bit lower.

Again, from what I can tell, the change in weight distribution had very little effect on the handling, braking, Etc of the sedan. IMO.