Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

350z springs and D-specs installed....Alignment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350z springs and D-specs installed....Alignment?

As soon as the weather clears up I'll take some pics to show the drop on my 05 sedan...I got exactly the amount of drop I was hoping for about 2 fingers in the front and 1.5 in the back.....Now all I have to do is get the alignment done once the springs settle...In the meantime are all 4 wheel alignments equal or is there a certain type of alignment machine that I want the shop I take it in to have?

Also I will be receiving my DPE's in a week or 2 knocks on wood...So if I get the alignment on the stock wheels will I have to do it again once I put the DPE's on? If I do I would rather wait....

Last edited by Deadwrong; 05-20-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:20 AM
Deadwrong...

Although I'm sure ALOT of other people will disagree w/ me on this, I honestly don't think you need to get an alignment at all. Sure, your tires will wear out un-evenly...but they don't wear out any faster. It really depends on your driving habits.

Also, having the slight negative camber is actually BENEFICIAL to your car's cornering characteristics...enhancing turn-in & quicker transitions.

The reason I say that most will probably disagree w/ me on having an alignment done is 'cause it seems that everyone is concerned about their tires wearing out faster, etc. But again, the truth is that the tires won't wear any faster, just unevenly. For me personally, though, I'd give up a little bit of tire wear in return for the improved cornering ability. So, its really up to you whether you're lowering for looks-sake, or for performance-sake.

Hope I have been of some help. And by the way, I too just lowered my G-sedan on springs originally intended for 350Z. I've got a 6MT, so it already came w/ the "sport suspension pkg" which has higher rate springs & shocks/struts. Now, I've changed the springs to Espelir "GT" springs...it is pretty low, looks really nice & handles good too. The only problem is, when I first saw the car after we brought it off the lift...my first thought was that it looks like another slammed Honda Accord...hahahah! I'll show you pix as soon as my buddy returns my camera!

TTYL ^-^

Old 05-23-2005, 09:51 AM
This is the only pic I have so far do to weather....I will up more asap....

[img=http://img213.echo.cx/img213/9986/zdrop2xm.th.jpg]

Old 05-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Gthree5 6MT
Deadwrong...

Although I'm sure ALOT of other people will disagree w/ me on this, I honestly don't think you need to get an alignment at all. Sure, your tires will wear out un-evenly...but they don't wear out any faster. It really depends on your driving habits.

Also, having the slight negative camber is actually BENEFICIAL to your car's cornering characteristics...enhancing turn-in & quicker transitions.

The reason I say that most will probably disagree w/ me on having an alignment done is 'cause it seems that everyone is concerned about their tires wearing out faster, etc. But again, the truth is that the tires won't wear any faster, just unevenly. For me personally, though, I'd give up a little bit of tire wear in return for the improved cornering ability. So, its really up to you whether you're lowering for looks-sake, or for performance-sake.
Actually, increased camber isn't what kills tires in most cases, rather, screwed up toe adjustments are the real culprit. Sure, severe camber can wear out the inner edge of a tire, but mis-aligned toe can result in *drastic* tire wear, not to mention really strange handling characteristics.

Get the alignment for the peace of mind if nothing else. And post some pics!! (My '05 sedan is screaming for Z springs + d-specs, i need someone to push me over the edge.. hehe)

Old 05-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>I honestly don't think you need to get an alignment at all.

You're right, I don't agree with you. Get an alignment done. You need it
on this mult-beam sus. it is very sensitive to ride height. If it was another
car, I may not disagree as most cars are almost unaffected at only
20mm height difference.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:05 PM
I got my alignment today and am pretty satisfied with the results...

LF Before
Camber -1.2
Caster 8.5
Toe -.16

LF After
Camber -1.2
Caster 8.5
Toe .03

RF Before
Camber -1.3
Caster 8.7
Toe .03

RF After
Camber -1.3
Caster 8.7
Toe .02

LR Before
Camber -1.9
Toe .16

LR After
Camber -1.4
Toe .08

RR Before
Camber -1.7
Toe .14

RR after
Camber -1
Toe .06

Old 05-31-2005, 05:58 PM
what is your evaluation on the corning and ride characteristics?