Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Finally, A strut tower brace for the Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2005 | 12:55 AM
|
Finally, A strut tower brace for the Coupe

Well, as promised, here are some pics of the strut tower brace i have developed for the G35 coupe. it barely fits in front of the plenum, and clears the hood. You are welcome to provide feedback.

The pictures are on my website under the G35 Coupe Strut Tower Brace at:

http://members.***.net/chadisrad

Thanks,

Chad

Old 05-21-2005 | 01:08 AM
It's not the critic......
can you please expain what does the strut bar do? and how much?

Old 05-21-2005 | 01:13 AM
Wow, it looks great! I was looking for a front strut bar for a while too! How stable are the mounts? They dont look too stable :/

Old 05-21-2005 | 01:13 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
I'm impressed with the worksmanship in getting it to fit, my only thing is, why did you use a rectangular brace instead of a cylinder normal style?

Old 05-21-2005 | 01:27 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by protocav
Well, as promised, here are some pics of the strut tower brace i have developed for the G35 coupe. it barely fits in front of the plenum, and clears the hood. You are welcome to provide feedback.

The pictures are on my website under the G35 Coupe Strut Tower Brace at:

http://members.***.net/chadisrad

Thanks,

Chad
Chad I like it alot. I like the looks of the brace. Your a good boy you did you homework. Pm me I want one. Papa Pasta

Old 05-21-2005 | 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by shooter
can you please expain what does the strut bar do? and how much?
It helps reduce body flex on turns by holding on to the chasis at the strut towers. The car will feel alot stiffer and stable on tight turns. Hitting a tight turn at 50mph now feels like you're only going 30mph! but of course the extent of the effects all depend on the type of car.

Old 05-21-2005 | 03:39 AM
Meatshake Enterprise
good job. thanks for posting up the pics. how well do the mounts hold? i'd purchase one if you get super results from it. fill us in with more on the performance side. IMO, i'd get it just for cosmetic reasons! good job, once again.

Old 05-21-2005 | 04:14 AM
E_K
From: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Yeah, I'm also concerned about the sturdiness of the mounts. But I really like that you have the bar going in front of the plenum. Overall looks very promising. I think if you can possibly make the mount bolt onto 3 point rather than 2, it'll be even better. You'll certainly get alot of consumers with it.

Old 05-21-2005 | 04:26 AM
|
hey guys,
thank you for the comments, good and bad. the brace is very rigid, and doesen't show any signs of flex when i put a lot of weight or force on it. it is a 2 point mount, so it is triangulated, and there are gusset plates which tie the the mounts together. also, at any joint, there are extra gussets. it is very strong. i used the rectangular tube instead of round tube because i thought that it looked more like a race piece. i actually liked it better than the round. also, i could run a 1.5" wide bar, but i didn't have the clearance for a 1.5" diameter tube.

as far as the questions regarding sales...i don't intend to make another like this one. this will only work with aftermarket coilovers that have studs that are longer than the stock studs (on top of the shock towers) because two of the mounts go under the top nuts. also, when i put my A-arms in, i used longer bolts which give me a nice mounting point on the driver's side. it is pretty much a one-off, custom piece. it took about 12 hours total to build.

i may build a simpler (read cheaper) version in the near future, but i simply did this to see if i could.

Thanks again!

Chad

Last edited by protocav; 05-21-2005 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2005 | 04:34 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by protocav
hey guys,
thank you for the comments, good and bad. the brace is very rigid, and doesen't show any signs of flex when i put a lot of weight or force on it. it is a 2 point mount, so it is triangulated, and there are gusset plates which tie the the mounts together. also, at any joint, there are extra gussets. it is very strong.

as far as the questions regarding sales...i don't intend to make another like this one. this will only work with aftermarket coilovers that have studs that are longer than the stock studs (on top of the shock towers) because two of the mounts go under the top nuts. also, when i put my A-arms in, i used longer bolts which give me a nice mounting point on the driver's side. it is pretty much a one-off, custom piece. it took about 12 hours total to build.

i may build a simpler (read cheaper) version in the near future, but i simply did this to see if i could.

Thanks again!

Chad
Thanks Chad. I can do this and I thank you for the effort you put in.
I will copy you. Pasta

Old 05-21-2005 | 07:07 AM
What kind of dog is that? I want one

Old 05-21-2005 | 09:26 AM
Again, I'm very impressed! Thats some great work! I'm not in a hurry to get a strut bar (see my future mods in my sig). The other aftermarket ones that are expected to come out in Summer is actually perfect timing for me! I hope DC designs a nice one peice, jointless strut bar.

Old 05-21-2005 | 09:37 AM
looks good!!!

Old 05-21-2005 | 11:41 AM
Dc sport is also coming out with a bar and i believe so is stillen. Props on being the first to have it doneor better yet, make it yourself.

Old 05-21-2005 | 02:40 PM
G35 6MT
looks nice chad! i wanna look at it at the next meet (if i ever make it again )

and yes, DC sports does have one. not sure if it's out yet, but import auto perfromance has it listed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally, A strut tower brace for the Coupe