Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

How can I lift the front to install the sway bar?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How can I lift the front to install the sway bar?

According to the service manual, you are supposed to remove the wheels to unbolt the front sway bar. This precludes the use of ramps to raise the car.

The next option is to raise the front end and put jackstands at the stock lift points behind the front wheels. But then where can I jack the car up?

On the rear, I jacked it up by the differential.

thanks for your help.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G Lift Points

Originally Posted by P_Diddy

The next option is to raise the front end and put jackstands at the stock lift points behind the front wheels. But then where can I jack the car up?

thanks for your help.
Try this nifty lil diagram . . . . hope it helps. Ummmm if you can help me attach a jpg file that is.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Attachments have to be <100k, or upload the photo to a pic-hosting site like www.photobucket.com or www.photodump.com and link to it. Where is the diagram from?

Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't need to remove the front wheels to work on your sway bar, in fact removing them is a complete waste of time! To lift the front end up, you can get ramps (from your local auto shop or even from Wal-Mart $20-$40) and just drive up on them (i've done just that on several G's I've worked on), or grab a jack, and simply jack up the front end up. The ramps works great, but one thing to watch out for is if your car is lowered. In that case, you'll have to work it up using some 2x4's, then on to the ramps, or take the jack route.

With the jack, there's a metal x-over section underneath the the engine (in the middle twd the rear of the engine - looks like an X with circles on its ends). You can place a jack centered right under it and raise the whole front end. Once high enough, grab two jack stands and place them on both sides of where you just raised. I've also found the chassis end location to the front wheels lower control arms, make for good jack stand resting spots. Once secure, gently lower your car down and check to see it sitting on the stands safely.

NEVER work under your car with simply a jack holding it up! You would be surprised how often they can leak or even burst, which will make it drop down in a split second.

Good luck and becareful!

Old 08-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
Attachments have to be <100k, Where is the diagram from?
Thanx for the help. The diagram is from a 'digital' copy of the manual. Here's the link to the pic.... http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...r/abb10a8c.jpg

Old 08-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where can you get the SAFETY STAND ADAPTER... i bent one of my jacking points with a jack stand. I dont get why they didnt make them thicker or put adapeter on it.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by myGspot
Where can you get the SAFETY STAND ADAPTER... i bent one of my jacking points with a jack stand. I dont get why they didnt make them thicker or put adapeter on it.
Yes I'm looking for one as well.

Also what kind of low profile jacks are you guys using? I got the aluminium jack from Harbor frieght and that thing is sketchy. Felt like the jack was bending.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Changed my front sway bar without taking off wheels, that would be a total waste of time. Go to any parts store and you can by a set of jack stands and nice floor jack for around $50. You should only need to jack the front end. Make sure you have parking brake on and chalk the wheels. This mod is probably as easy as putting in a cat-back exhaust, and your aftermarket sways should have detailed instructions. You also need a torque wrench for proper installation of any mod.

Last edited by g35cas; 08-31-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
as ducatiguy said, if you have ramps just use that. i used my hydraulic and jack stands cause my front end could not clear the ramps i have.

I just use a piece of wood with a slot down the middle as my adapter. works just
fine. just use some mounting tape to secure it onto your jack stand. use info at your own risk.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by bkchang79
Yes I'm looking for one as well.

Also what kind of low profile jacks are you guys using? .
[FONT=Century Gothic]Try the low profile Craftsman unit.[/FONT]

Old 08-31-2005, 11:09 PM
i use the aluminum racking jack from harbor freight. works great.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:46 AM
I just installed the Stillen sway bar set, and doing the front I found that my little floor jack would not get under the front since it was so low I couldn't use the lever to pump the jack up, what I did was use the cars jack on the side and lift the side up enough that I could get the floor jack under the front where the center lift point is on the car.
had no problem pumping up the jack high enough to get the jack stands under on each side,
I hope this helps, and as for the stillen sway they are fantastic, great buy, IMHO

Tony

Old 09-01-2005, 08:35 AM
with the harbor freight racing jack, you can just slip the jack under the car without first raising it. my Cooper-S is about an inch lower than my G35C and it still fits.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Sweet! This is exactly what I'm looking for!

I'm gonna install my eibach sways as soon as get a final answer to this:

I have ramps, a jack, and j-stands. I will probably jack stand the front end, but was curious about ducatiguy's use of the ramps. . .if you just ramp the front end, won't it still be loading the sways since the front suspension is still compressed? I thought the suspension had to be @ no load (floating wheels) before you can take the sway bar off. Just curious. . .thanks for the help y'all! Looks like I'll be sway-barring soon enough!

-drew

Old 09-20-2005, 02:58 AM
A friend came over with his Rhino ramps and I drove the front of my car onto them. They were not very high and there was very little clearance under the car. I would definitely recommend j-stands for more under-car clearance. I didn't have enough of the right tools to take off the bolts, so I didn't install the front one.

I did move the rear Stillen sway bar to Medium (from Soft) and later that day, I took 1st place (after PAX factor) at the autocross!!! My raw time was 9th.