Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

? for those that live where it doesn't snow so much...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ? for those that live where it doesn't snow so much...

For those of you that live where it doesn't snow very much do you still get snow tires? I live in Albuquerque and it really doesn't snow too much, but once in while we'll get a big snow storm. The temps range from the 30s-50s and when it does snow, it's usually gone by the next day. I read all these stories on here about the G being really bad in the snow and even the cold with the stock tires or any performace tires. It looks like I will be getting a 6mt G coupe within the next month and was hoping not to have to buy another set of wheels and tires for our usually weak winter. I drove my Camaro SS through three winters with Yokohama AVS dBs and no traction control and never had a problem. Those were only 17's on that, but they were performance tires. I even drove it through one of the worst snow storms we've ever had about three years ago where we got about a foot of snow, granted I was going about 15-20 mph the whole time. I'm just wondering if it's a lot to do with drivers skill or if the G (or the 19's) really is that bad. It doesn't seem like it would be with the VDC. Can anyone that lives in Abq or other areas like this let me know what they do and how their G does?

Thanks,
Ed

Old 09-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Hell no I roll my 20's year round.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
California :d

Old 09-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Sport tires almost never perform well when they're cold. They just wern't designed for it. Compound gets too hard and can't grip well. Plus, they are designed to throw off as much dirt and water as possible for best performance. That is also the reason why they don't perform at all in the snow. The treads can't pack and retain the snow and it's that "snow on snow" contact that gives snow tires traction.

I think because drivers get so used to the performance of their cars and sport tires during the summer, they often get into trouble in the cold because they're pushing beyond the limits of the tires in that environment.

I'd say, if it only snows one day in a year then don't worry about getting a winter setup.

Old 09-24-2005, 06:39 PM
I am just a bit north of Albuquerque, with an 05 G35C. The car has the 19" Bridgestones and I have no plans to get any other tires. There are only 1 or 2 days each winter when snow is on the ground for an entire day. I plan to take the wife's QX-4 if needed, but I don't have to leave the house to go to work.