Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Unbelievable: Crowbar, Rims, and a Slow Leak - Avoid Merchants

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unbelievable: Avoid Merchants Tyson's Corner (resolved Sunday 10/9/05)

So I noticed I had a slow leak in my rear tire and I took it in to get it patched. I decided to take it to an honest to god tire place (Merchants), instead of just some old garage because I figured they'd treat the 19 inch rims better. Plus, I live in a McLean, VA... it's a pretty ritzy area with lots of people with cars way nicer that an Infiniti. Figured these guys had seen nice rims before. Big mistake.

I drop my car off at lunch, show back up at 6pm, and the guy says that the tech is just getting to it. I walk around the back and I see the guy supplementing the machine the removes the tire with his own little crowbar action! Needless to say, it completely F*** up my rims.

He does a completely retarded job of plugging the hole - drilling more than once, pulling too hard on the nail and ripping more of the rubber, etc... - that the tire can't be patched. I only had 1500 miles on the thing.

Manager comes out and immediately says they are getting me new a new rim. Which I thought was great, because I was prepared for a fight on the whole issue. But of course, I'm stuck with paying for a new tire, because they say the tire couldn't be patched in the first place (which is a load of bull).

The manager said he'd call Infiniti and get the new rim. But not the tire. I'll get the tire myself and have someone else put it on. Never going to that place again.

I talked to they guy and he said that the crowbar was a standard tool to remove the tire (he called it a different name, and for all I know, he's probably telling the truth). Anyway, the lesson I take from this is 19'' low-profile wheels are extremely hard to take off the wheel. If you need to do it, goto infiniti.

I didn't get the tire/wheel warranty from infiniti, but does anyone know if these tires have their own warranty on them from the factory? Something where I could get some pro-rated goodness?

Brian.

Last edited by bsavage; 10-09-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Just wondering, is the Merchants you went to near route 7 and near Men's Warehouse on an access road?

Old 10-05-2005, 12:22 PM
That's the one. At this point, the manager isn't in yet, so they haven't ordered me the new rim.... Which is cutting it close because I need to leave this weekend...... Manager was super reasonable yesterday, but right now I'm just frustrated....

Brian

Old 10-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Damn, that must suck. I would've expected better from that place (I've never gone there either), but sorry to hear about it. At least they are willing to get you a new rim but all the hassles must be troublesome.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah,

Manager called in and ok'd buying the rim, finally. But when they went to check the price, it was over what the guy running the store in the manager's stead could do himself. He needs the manager to sign off again.......

Which is even more frustrating because I told them exactly how much it would cost...... Hopefully tomorrow......

Brian.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Brian,

I can understand your frustration, but would like to clear things up for you.

1. There is only one way to remove a tire and that is with a bar. Machine manufacturers make plastic guards for the bar to avoid marring the wheel. You're right, low profile tires are not fun to work on.

2. To do a proper RMA (Rubber Manufacturer's Association) approved repair, the puncture must be drilled numerous times.

3. Can you be a little more clear on the pulling too hard on the nail part? There are many factors into what can be safely repaired.

4. Unfortunately, without the factory roadhazard coverage, you're out of luck with the tire failure being a roadhazard. It would be the same as crashing your car and going to the car dealership for a pro-rate.

Don't get me wrong, without knowledge of the business I would be angry as well. Even though there have been some bumps in the road, you were pretty lucky with the manager stepping right up to the pump to order you a new wheel. You should see some of the horror stories I've seen on other boards.

Last edited by Chris@DTD; 10-05-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by bsavage
So I noticed I had a slow leak in my rear tire and I took it in to get it patched. I decided to take it to an honest to god tire place (Merchants), instead of just some old garage because I figured they'd treat the 19 inch rims better. Plus, I live in a McLean, VA... it's a pretty ritzy area with lots of people with cars way nicer that an Infiniti. Figured these guys had seen nice rims before. Big mistake.

I drop my car off at lunch, show back up at 6pm, and the guy says that the tech is just getting to it. I walk around the back and I see the guy supplementing the machine the removes the tire with his own little crowbar action! Needless to say, it completely F*** up my rims.

He does a completely retarded job of plugging the hole - drilling more than once, pulling too hard on the nail and ripping more of the rubber, etc... - that the tire can't be patched. I only had 1500 miles on the thing.

Manager comes out and immediately says they are getting me new a new rim. Which I thought was great, because I was prepared for a fight on the whole issue. But of course, I'm stuck with paying for a new tire, because they say the tire couldn't be patched in the first place (which is a load of bull).

The manager said he'd call Infiniti and get the new rim. But not the tire. I'll get the tire myself and have someone else put it on. Never going to that place again.

I talked to they guy and he said that the crowbar was a standard tool to remove the tire (he called it a different name, and for all I know, he's probably telling the truth). Anyway, the lesson I take from this is 19'' low-profile wheels are extremely hard to take off the wheel. If you need to do it, goto infiniti.

I didn't get the tire/wheel warranty from infiniti, but does anyone know if these tires have their own warranty on them from the factory? Something where I could get some pro-rated goodness?

Brian.
hey Brian,

check out the national G club forum in the 'regional clubs'forums'. you can post there to inform other peeps in our region NOT to go to merchants in mclean!!

Old 10-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Chris,

Totally agree with your points. But this guy was basically using a crowbar. It had no plastic gaurd or anything. But, as far as the drilling, I didn't realize that. I've had tires plugged and/or patched before and I've seen in those cases a SINGLE drill or no drilling (but this big tool that does everything at once). But you look more like an expert than me from your signature ;-), so I definately take your word for it.

It was late, and I'm pretty sure that the guy that did it was the least experienced guy there. The manager was reasonable but he hasn't been there in two days and the rim still isn't ordered. And THAT is what is unexceptable. They damaged my rims and two days later it still isn't fixed.

I've had to call merchant's corporate office to get it resolved, and still the merchants in mclean has not moved. Why did they not call corporate themselves to get the authorization?

But, thanks for the points and sorry if the first write-up seemed acusatory.

Brian.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:36 AM
pdj,

Will do.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Well

On saturday (4 days after this all began), Merchants finally ordered the wheel from Rosthental (which is two blocks from them). I pick up the wheel and ask them to get the Tire Pressure Sensor off the old wheel.

Of course, the Sensor is broken in half and they only give me the half with the stem on it and then they swear that that's the whole sensor. I take it immediately to Rosenthal and they laugh and say the sensor is broken completely in two . I call the head of merchant's in NOVA (northern virginia), and he has me buy the sensor and fax in the receipt. He then asks me why I have the wheel and why merchants didn't put the wheel and tire on for me. I reply that I think they botched the patch job and I had no intention of buying a tire from them that costs $300. He directs me to go to asburn merchants (where the regional director works), and the guy there would take a look at it personally.

End result - Ashburn merchants patches the tire (the tire that "couldn't" be patched), puts it on the wheel, balances it, and mounts it all for free. Oh, and reinstalls the new tire sensor and offers to pay for the calibration costs of the sensor.

Conclusion - Merchants tyson corner botched a simple patch job, scratched my wheel, lied about the Tire pressure sensor to my face. Serious problems there. Avoid.

There were people along the way that were helpful: Marvin at Tyson's Merchant (the rest of the staff are not, and some are outright incompetent). The whole asburn store. Go there if you must use a merchant's. Jini at tire kingdom and Will. This problem seemed to be not corporate wide at least. But I'm not sure I will use merchant's again.

Brian

Last edited by bsavage; 10-09-2005 at 09:36 AM.