Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

whats wrong with my rims? pictures in post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Sorry to hear about that but seriously its your own fault for being to lazy to wash the car yourself. I'd never let a carwash touch my car. Hope you can get it polished up.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

They look exactly like my old Volk GT-U's!

I had my car in to a dealer having some warranty work and told them DO NOT WASH MY CAR!!!

Well they did.....and they ended up buying me new wheels!

What you are seeing is a reaction in the clear coat when a cleaner is sprayed on them when they are hot.

The only way to get them to look right is to have them stripped, polished and re cleared.

Sorry.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ouch...

Old 11-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
soap and water only. nothing else. all Volks are anodized clear coated. not polished.

btw, great minds think alike! we've got the same shoes! GT-AV!

Old 11-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Ya, this is exactly how my Volk SF-Challenges look. I told the guy that used to detail my car (used to because after he screwed up my rims and wouldn't pay i quit going) to only use soap and water. He went on some tirade about how you could scratch your rims doing that, and that he had stuff that he was 100% sure wouldn't hurt them, so I acquiesced. Well, low and behold, it screwed them up and now I'm rolling on somewhat cloudy rims. I've tried everything on them, and the detailer tried to buff them with his orbital before I left, but that only burned the clear coat. I tried all kinds of polish and even tried to wetsand a small area, but to no avail. This was all before I realized it was cleared, because no one I asked really knew for sure. The tuner shop I bought them from told me to get some metal polish and start buffing, but that didn't work.

So, I need to have them stripped and recleared? Thats what I was thinking, now I just need to find a place that can do it. Anyone have any suggestions, I don't mind shipping them off if I have to. I live in Birmingham, AL so if there is somewhere closeby even better, but I'll do whatever I can to get my wheels back to normal.

EDIT: Oh, and this was the first guy I've ever used to wash my car. Up until the last few months I always hand washed my own car, but I was never really good at waxing so I used this guy my friend recommended. I will NEVER allow anyone to touch my car again. I took that stance before, and I let up on it once, but never again. No one will take care of your car better than you will.

Last edited by ShadowG35; 11-03-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:29 PM
ouch...if im not mistaken, if you repolish them..they wont look the same.

my friend repolished his rim after a curbing and it came back different (duller) not as bad as yours but you can tell slightly.

he also lost the sf challenge sticker that was on the lip.

buy new rims.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Running for his life!!
that sucks.. Same thing happen to me, the dealer replated my lip to correct the problem. I think they tried to strip it off to repolish them, but that didn't work.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think that since they must wash hundreds of rims like this they would not use any chemicals that would damage the clear coat
You've got guys busting suds all day long for minimum wage. You roll in with your $35K-$40K car on $3K rims. If one of them felt inclined to do so, all it would take is a swipe with a bad rag (harsh cleansers on it) to ruin those rims. I'm not suggesting that this was intentional... ...only how easy it would be if that were the intention. Hope you didn't tip them.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by unomateo
I would think that since they must wash hundreds of rims like this they would not use any chemicals that would damage the clear coat
You've got guys busting suds all day long for minimum wage. You roll in with your $35K-$40K car on $3K rims. If one of them felt inclined to do so, all it would take is a swipe with a bad rag (harsh cleansers on it) to ruin those rims. I'm not suggesting that this was intentional... ...only how easy it would be if that were the intention. Hope you didn't tip them.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by axiochris
buy new rims.
I would like to, but I don't have another $2500 to drop on another set of rims at the moment.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowG35
I would like to, but I don't have another $2500 to drop on another set of rims at the moment.
Since they are 2 piece and bolted together....you might check with a Volk dealer on trying to just get new hoops.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Chances are you never waxed or polished your wheels. I assume since you took your car to someone else to wash it you don't do your own waxing. It doesn't matter if it was you or a detailer, if you don't wax anodized lips, they look crappy. My lips are anodized. Since the rear lips are bigger, I waxed them every other week to keep them blinging. I didn't wax the front at all. The front started to look like they were peeling and dull. I immediately waxed them. They stopped the peeling thing and still look shiny. I learned a big lesson...you have to wax those lips often. So, it's not the fault of the detailer.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldVFRGuy
Since they are 2 piece and bolted together....you might check with a Volk dealer on trying to just get new hoops.
yes, this is an option. the best people to go through is Vick at Importhookup. he's done this before (drifters mostly). you'll have to send the entire rim though. you can't take it apart yourself. then expect to wait months. but, it will be brand spanking new labia's. if downtown, and $$$ aren't much a problem, go for it.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Running for his life!!
just send them to fixrim.com. they may have a store near your location. They will fix them up to almost normal. Also their turnaround time is really quick.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:19 PM
same thing happened to me, I told my dealer not to wash my car but they still did so they're getting refinished as we speak

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: whats wrong with my rims? pictures in post